PDA

View Full Version : new mum

Gracie's mamma
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a new mum coming for an interview tomorrow in hope her son will be starting with me.

I think she is pregnant , what do i do about this when she finishes work to have the baby ?? re: time off and payment etc ??

caz3007
04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I would say she either pays a retainer to keep the place or you do it short term until she goes on maternity leave and she takes a chance that there is place available when she goes back to work

rickysmiths
04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
NCMA advise us not to sign a contract until the baby is born for obvious reasons.

I would meet with the lady and give her all the info she needs and then keep in touch. Arrange to meet again when she has had baby and then if she is still happy, sign a contract and take a 4 week fees deposit.

Good luck!

caz3007
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I thought it was for a child she already has, but I may be wrong, thats what I based my reply on, so Gracies mum ignore what I said if thats not the case :laughing:

Gracie's mamma
04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
caz3007

You are right , if i ask for a retainer do i take that off her bill ??

Goatgirl
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi :),
That depends on whether she wants you to have her son whilst she is on maternity leave and whether she wants you to have them both when and if she goes back to work.... and what you can afford to do about holding places; what you would do if she wanted a place but then backed out etc.

I have 2 pregnant mums at the moment: one has asked me to have baby (due july) in Jan 2010 and the other children for a few hours a week in the meantime. I will speak to her again when the baby is a few months old and take a deposit for the place. If someone else is wanting the place and happy to pay for it in the meantime however, I will ask her if she would like her deposit refunded and find alternative care, or to pay a retainer for the place in the meantime, so that I am not losing out on so much income.

The other mum doesn't know when or if she'll be returning to work and doesn't need me to look aftr her current child when she is on maternity leave, so she has given me notice to end the current contract and may or may not contact me after the baby is born... she will be taking a chance on whether I have spaces when she needs them and I wont feel obliged to contact her if I have alternative enquiries...

You have lots of thinking to do: good luck :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

caz3007
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
No a retainer pays to keep the place open, so you may decide to charge half fees whilst she is on maternity leave, thats so that the place is available when she goes back to work. So she would pay half pay each week and that gives you part income for that space too, that would be if she was happy to do that.

caz3007
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I also have a mum who is pregnant and wont need me to look after her 3 year old whilst she is off. She said she will be looking for a minder for the baby after xmas, and I hope she will contact me, but wont be holding a baby space just in case

Pauline
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I've just moved your thread into the minding chat areas, you had posted in the 'problems with the forum' section :)

Gracie's mamma
04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
:blush: Opps Sorry Pauline , as you can tell , i'm not the brightest of people

miffy
04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I would meet her and try to find out exactly what she wants (if she knows). Some mums have between 9 and 12 months off work on maternity leave - if that's the case she's unlikely to want (or be able to afford) to pay a retainer for all that time.

Miffy xx

Pauline
05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
:blush: Opps Sorry Pauline , as you can tell , i'm not the brightest of people

Don't worry, it take a little time to get used to where things are :)

mushpea
06-05-2011, 06:00 AM
i have a pregant mum whose child currently comes to me three days a week 8 till 5, when she has had the baby she will cut the hours down to 15hrs a week then then child and babys hours will go back up again when they both come when the baby is 9mpnths old so i am holding the babys space but because I dont currently have a space for the baby and the child will still be coming I havent asked for a deposit or a retainer,, when the baby needs to come i will ask ofsted for a variation and hope for the best , child will have been with me 3yrs by then so should be ok on continuity of care.