PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 9 year old

BuggsieMoo
04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi All
Ive got a child starting for 2 hours a night, 5 nights a week who is nearly 9. I produce a daily diary for all my other mindees, but feel that this is somewhat 'babyish' for the nearly 9 year old as it one from BCMA that has nappy changes and sleep patterns in it also and Im only having the nearly 9 year old for after school Monday - Friday.
I was thinking of just using a spiral bound note book to let mum know what her child has been doing in my setting and also to include any messages from school etc. Do you think that this is acceptable in place of a daily diary?
Thanks
Lisa x

Alibali
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't do diaries for children that are capable of telling their parents important things, like what they had for tea:laughing:
At 9 she can tell her parents, no need to write it down.

aunt sally
04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
For my 8 yr old mindee I do have a notebook but I don't include what hes had for tea or activities at all. I just call it ' the link book to school' as I jot down any messages on the playground blackboard e.g non-uniform tomorrow or title of their writing project that week. I also include questions from other parents like arranging a time for mindee to go to friends for tea. Collection times are hectic sometimes and it just means mum can look in the book at home.

BuggsieMoo
04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
For my 8 yr old mindee I do have a notebook but I don't include what hes had for tea or activities at all. I just call it ' the link book to school' as I jot down any messages on the playground blackboard e.g non-uniform tomorrow or title of their writing project that week. I also include questions from other parents like arranging a time for mindee to go to friends for tea. Collection times are hectic sometimes and it just means mum can look in the book at home.

This is pretty much what I was thinking of doing just to keep mum in the loop as she walks herself to school (lives opposite it) but mum is still in work at the end of the day. Thanks for the advice
Lisa x

Helen Dempster
05-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi. I don't have a daily diary for my 9yo mindee, cos as Alibali says, they can tell their parents what they've been doing/eaten etc :) We speak verbally face-to-face. And he has a school contact book in his bag so anything she needs to know will be in there anyway.

Hayley102
05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't keep a diary for school children. In fact previous to EYFS I stopped diaries once 3 years. Think I may continue with smaller communication book for my current mindees when they turn 3 years. But not for school children. I tend to text any info to parent while I am at school so I don't forget to pass on at end of the day.

BuggsieMoo
05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't keep a diary for school children. In fact previous to EYFS I stopped diaries once 3 years. Think I may continue with smaller communication book for my current mindees when they turn 3 years. But not for school children. I tend to text any info to parent while I am at school so I don't forget to pass on at end of the day.

I'm not going to do diaries once they are over 5 years - just a link book so I can put any important info in their such as holiday dates (as have had a parent turn up on my day off!). School does not do a link book as such, just a homework book and it wont always be mum collecting. I also do a little folder so I can send artwork, letters etc home which I pass to the adult to ensure it has been received.

Thanks for all the advice.

Lisa x