PDA

View Full Version : Being given the 3rd degree & we haven't even met

acorns
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
A prospective new parent has contacted me to check I have a vacancy & to arrange to come round. I have replied and gvien a time for a visit. She has then come back with a long list of questions to be answered as well as plenty more when she visits she says! They are all reasonable, understandable questions, (although I feel a little insulted to be asked if I have vehicle insurance!) but she has also requested my registration number to look at my report. Now i wouldn't normally give this out unless we have met ( maybe I could say for confidentialty reasons?). Any other parent I have had, have asked me most of their questions face to face & then emailed any others after, so I'm not feeling entirely sure about having her round in the first place, since it seems like I may be interrogated!

Goatgirl
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi :),
I'd email her a copy of your inspection report and just explain that 'we're now advised' not to give out our registration numbers until parents have signed contracts and paid deposits etc as there has been a steep rise in false claims.

As to the questions, she may have read somewhere the 'things to ask a childminder' and just want to make sure she's being a good parent by asking all those things. I would give her the benefit of the doubt for now: its easy to coma across strangely in email and remember that she'll probably make her decision based on her gut instinct when she meets you. Just as you will :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Mouse
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like she's read one of the information guides on "questions to ask when looking for a childminder" and is just asking those sort of questions. The fact that she's asking before visiting might be different to what normally happens for you, but it's not unusual. And in many ways it's better as you can have answers ready before she gets there, rather than being put on the spot.

If you don't want to give her your registration number, copy & paste your report from the Ofsted website (taking off the registration number) and email it to her :thumbsup:

tilly2
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Hiya!! I gave my reg number out over the phone after a parent had visi:clapping: ed me, and they never came to me in the end!!... I suspect they wanted to claim childcare using my number... So I rang them and told them I was informing tax credits they no longer wanted to use me!! she seemed very put out!! Ha!!

Alibali
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
My newest mindees parents were the same, but once we met all was fine. It's a very difficult decision for parents, so I can understand why they do so much research. I was once asked if I had a clean driving license, at the time I thought how odd, but the more I thought about it I realised I was taking the most precious thing in their life in my car so they have every right to know.

Hope the meeting goes well xx

youarewhatyoueat
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I would think she has heard that not all childminders realise that they need class 1 business insurance. I have mine in my welcome pack. I also think it is a perfectly reasonable request to ask to see your ofsted report. You could give her your postcode and she would be able to find out the number anyway its not exactly difficult.

rickysmiths
04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
If a parent really wants the report before they come to see me I will gladly send a copy to them and I remove my reg number. I explain that I have a pack that they came borrow when they visit and amoung other things it has a copy of my report in it. In 17yrs I have only ever had to post one report out and those parents never came to see me!!

acw
04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi there. I think I would be a nightmare if I was looking for some-one to care for my boy. It can sound a tad insulting to be questioned on the basics butthere are a lot of crap childminders still out there who can pass with flying colours on an Ofsted report but do not practice that on a daily basis. Considering school I get just as nervous and from first hand experience have seen them putting the children in inadequately insured cars with incorrect car seats. It's the basics that are often assumed and those that are allowed to slip.
Think once you get chatting it will seem less interrogating and nice to know what she wants to know in advance. If you feel uneasy, just say you get nervous around the parents to start with but totally different with the children. Am sooo grateful that I have had long term families. Hate trying to sell myself.
Good luck!