PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping areas

JCrakers
04-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Reading about travel cots on another thread has just reminded me.....:eek:
At the moment my 2.5yr old mindee sleeps in her buggy as we are usually out a lot. Mums ok with this.
I do have a travel cot upstairs and used it prior to Nov when I had a 7m old. I used it upstairs in the spare room.

But since Xmas i have had a move around upstairs...didnt occur to me until now that I have disturbed the sleeping arrangements... The room I used to use for mindee sleeping now has a large ikea storage shelf (Billy bookcase) it has loads of stuff on it (all the stuff collected..most of it rubbish)
Also stores our 3 new hamsters in cages :D . In there is also a computer,printer so lots of wires etc.

With this large shelving unit Im unsure if I can use this room anymore for sleeping.
What happens if the child gets out the cot? Is this something Ofsted will pick me up on. I dont really have any other upstairs room. My husbands office is out of bounds. My 9yr old daughters room has loads of hazards such as small toys, Xbox, TV wires.

I could move sleeping area to lounge but then it wont be that peaceful as playroom is nextdoor and the doors are seethrough.

Becky x

Goatgirl
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Is there no space to sqeeze a travel cot into your own bedroom? That's what I do... If the large bookcases are secured to the wall and you make sure wires are unreachable (that tubing stuff?); reachable objects are not harmful to baby I don't see it as being necessarily out of bounds. Do you have a monitor? Surely you'd hear a toddler climbing out of the cot... I think you can get video ones too now, but very expensive.

i know some minders have children sleep in buggies as a matter of course and often outside too. Maybe this idea could work for you?

hope you work something out....

Bws,
Wendy :)

muffins
04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm gonna get a video monitor for mine as soon they'll be able to use the spare room currently being built in the loft instead of my DD's room!:clapping: I know there exspensive but to me safety comes first:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna get a video monitor for mine as soon they'll be able to use the spare room currently being built in the loft instead of my DD's room!:clapping: I know there exspensive but to me safety comes first:thumbsup:

Ofsted may not be happy about mindees being in the loft for fire escape reasons.

I know friends who have recently done a loft extention and had to move up there themselves because fire regulations prevented them for allowing the children to sleep up there.

rickysmiths
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
To the op. Billy book cases should always be screwed to the wall with the tie they come with so there is no chance of them toppling over.

You can also buy doors for them, I have them on the billy bookcases in my hall that have all my cm stuff. It makes them look more tidy and stops inquisitive pairs of hand exploring!

muffins
04-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Ofsted may not be happy about mindees being in the loft for fire escape reasons.

I know friends who have recently done a loft extention and had to move up there themselves because fire regulations prevented them for allowing the children to sleep up there.

All fire regulations being adhered to or I wouldn't be happy anyway!

JCrakers
05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for replies :D
Cant use my bedroom as its in the loft and not registered for 2nd floor. I'll have to do something with the bookcase...doors are a good idea...what a pain

Dont know why I didnt think before I started moving things around upstairs....:rolleyes: