PDA

View Full Version : weekends??

sarah sunflower
03-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Just had a lady come to my door and ask if I can have her two daughters (7 and 10) every other weekend from 7.30-5.30. she got my name from her current child minder as she is finishing child minding in two weeks time!! I've never met said childminder but quite pleased that shes passed my name on!! :)

I don't normally work weekends but that's alot of money to lose out on!! Just wondering do you charge normal rate or would you charge more? I charge £4 per hour per child.

I said I'd call her back tonight or tomorrow just thought I'd get some advice of you lovely people first!! :)

sarah707
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I considered working weekends a while ago. I would have charged normal rate for Saturday and double for Sunday but that put me out of the price range of the parents.

Would it be worth ringing the ex minder and finding out how much she currently charges?

Also be aware of the disruption to your family life especially if the children are taking up spaces in your car / time away from your own children etc.

Hth :D

butterfly
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
My normal fee is £4.25/hr but I charge £6/hr for weekends as they are counted as unsociable

miffy
03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't work weekends unless there was extra money in it for me - if you usually charge £4 then £6 per hour for weekends doesn't sound unreasonable. Be aware though that parent might not get an enhanced rate for weekend work so might not be able to afford this.

Have a word with the current childminder and see what she charges, that might help you set your fees. Think about whether food is included (kids of that age can eat a lot!) and trips out which could be expensive add-ons.

Miffy xx

sarah sunflower
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I have a 20 month old daughter and I work every day 7.30 til 5.30 so feel like a weekend should be our time together!! My partner works 9- 7 every week day aswel so time together is very limited anyway!!

Think im talking myself out of this one already!! lol!!

thanks for the advice much appreciated

xx

miffy
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I have a 20 month old daughter and I work every day 7.30 til 5.30 so feel like a weekend should be our time together!! My partner works 9- 7 every week day aswel so time together is very limited anyway!!

Think im talking myself out of this one already!! lol!!

thanks for the advice much appreciated

xx

There's a big age gap between these two and your own dd which might make entertaining everyone a bit more difficult.

I would meet them and go with your gut instincts. If you're not sure then you could offer a 4 week trial period.

It is a lot of money to turn down but sometimes family time is more precious.

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

caz3007
03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
For me the family time at weekends is too precious and hubby wouldnt want me to work either. We did talk about one small child, and they would fit in with your plans, but you cant take children that age shopping etc

If I was going to do it, would be £6 each for saturday and double time for sunday. For two children wouldnt be worth working for the parent probably

kel1983
03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I have just started minding a LO on saturdays. I dont do every saturday though. I give the mum a list of saturdays I can do. The ther saturdays she gets her gran and friend to look after her.

When we first talked about it I explained that most minders charge time and half and she said thats ok but I am too kind and only charge an extra pound an hour.

I also explained that there would probably not be as many toys out and the lo would have to fit in with what I am doing on a Saturday which her mum is very happy with.

I like the extra money too

sarah sunflower
03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I've rang parent and shes coming for a meeting on thursday.
I told her I would do it for a month and go from there.

Discussed it with my partner and he says go for it (we could do with extra money as we want to move to a bigger place) even if I do it for a few months its a bit extra cash!! :S

think il charge the £6 ph per child for saturday and double for sunday!

I'll call other CM tomorrow and ask how much she charges, is that not being cheeky or too forward though!? I only started out in October so still very new to all of this!!

we do lots of outdoor things at a weekend so hopefully the two kids will be outdoorsy types!! Any ideas on activities for 7 and ten year olds are welcome aswel!! :)

This forum is awesome!!

thanks everyone!! :) xx

caz3007
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I would ring the other CM, after all she is giving up, so its like they are leaving her of their own accord.

The Juggler
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
i wouldn't do it hon. maybe 1 weekend in 4 perhaps but if you are working all week, then weekends too :panic: :panic: especially with older children - based on my own two I know they need much more entertaining than toddlers at weekends, that is if you want to keep them off the TV, PC and WII all day and hear their groans :laughing:

I would seriously consider the impact on your family life hon :(

tulip0803
03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I work every weekend. My normal rates are £3.30ph and I charge £5ph at weekends. I only have one or two children at weekends as it is also my children's "time-off". DH works shifts and I used to so I know how hard it is to get childcare for unsocial times which makes me a bit more sympathetic. At least it isn't every weekend and your partner is supportive.

It is hard work when you are working all week and then the weekend too. I have most Fridays off but I have a shift worker that sometimes needs Friday (pays a retainer if not used) although I am often a sucker for a request from my ad hocs:rolleyes: got to learn to say no more often!

Meet them and see what the children are like. Good luck

tulip0803
03-05-2011, 10:15 PM
we do lots of outdoor things at a weekend so hopefully the two kids will be outdoorsy types!! Any ideas on activities for 7 and ten year olds are welcome aswel!! :)

This forum is awesome!!

thanks everyone!! :) xx

I have a 7 year & 10 year old after school as well as my own 7yo (all girls). They love cooking, den making, crafts, playing Harry Potter in the garden, gardening. At this age they can tell you what they like so make a point of asking them when they visit. Ask what things they did & enjoyed with their old minder and what they would like to do.

Tink
04-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I've just taken on a child who will be doing 1 weekend a month, Mum is single and an Air Hostess I charge a set fee of £3.50 an hour any more and it wouldn't be worth her going to work.

Toothfairy
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't CM at the weekends as it would have too much of an impact on my own children but if I did I would charge time & a half for Saturdays and double time for Sunday's.

phoenix2010
04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi
I work weekends

I charge £6 per hour for one child , the same rate for saturday and sunday

for 2 siblings I would charge £10 per hour

If you are charging £6 per chld and double on sundays , thats £24 per hour ?

Do you think that the parent will pay that , it seems excessive to me , then again Im fairly new to all this weekend business :)

sarah sunflower
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
got meeting with mum tomorrow (shes a single mum and says dad may have kids occasionally) Think i will do it for a month and see how i feel then.

I'm going to charge £6 per child on the saturday and £8 per child on sunday. been told thats what other CM charges so mum wont have a problem with that.

I'll ask girls what they like doing and with the warm weather we'll be doing beach trips and walks etc (mum mentioned their very outdoorsy which is great!! :)

I really wouldnt normally work a weekend but could do with extra cash for new house!! :blush:

Thanks for advice!! xx

miffy
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Good luck tomorrow - hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx

Demonjill
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Think you are going about things the right way - how else are you going to know if you dont try:rolleyes: lol

You can always change your mind after you have given it a go if its not working out.

We all need money for different things dont we?:thumbsup:

I personally like to be as accomodating as i can and to secure new work sometimes you have to do things you normally wouldnt.

Good luck and let us know how it goes:thumbsup:

buildingblocks
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I charge £3.75 normally on a Saturday I charge £6 and hour. I didn't want to work weekends but had no choice last year as was struggling in the week and this parent came via another parent requiring Friday afternoon and Saturday.

WE do not have children of our own to worry about but we do have my elderly mother on a Saturday and take her shopping. I made mum aware that this was the case and she was happy with that. I then became full and ended up working Monday to Friday 07.30 - 18.00 and Saturdays 09.30 - 4.30 and it started to take its toll. M had become a big part of the setting and I wouldn't have dreamt of giving notice to him but was lucky enough to be able to take Mondays as a paperwork day.

I do not regret taking M on and wouldn't be without him but 6 days a week of long hours took its toll on me (but I am nearing 50 in a couple of years) so I would think carefully yes about how it will affect your family life but also how working 6 days a week will affect you emotionally and health wise if that makes sense.