PDA

View Full Version : Child continually piling up toys- schema perhaps?

miss mopple
03-05-2011, 03:19 PM
If so, would it be a connecting one do you think? Mindee is 3 and has always been pretty obsessive about connecting his cars/trains, making lines of toys and has a bit of a fascination with sticking a sucker sponge on the door and pulling it to close the door. Recently I have noticed more and more that there are piles of toys appearing everywhere- as I type he is building a pile of puzzle pieces, having already piled up all the toy people and animals today.

Anyone had a mindee do this? And if so any ideas of what I can plan in to extend this one as I am a tad brain dead today :blush:

sarah707
03-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Hmmm piling up toys can be a bit of a trajectory schema if he's also enjoying water play and exploring straight lines in drawings :D

miss mopple
03-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks Sarah, that makes sense. Told you I was brain dead today :blush:

The Juggler
03-05-2011, 09:50 PM
sounds like he is starting to combine an old schema (connecting) with a new schema (vertical). He is exploring height (plus balance and lots of other concepts) through a new extension of his connecting schema.

traditional wooden blocks would be good, he can explore which shapes will or will not stack togehter. He can explore height and how to balance the shapes.

Also large spongy cubes (which are trickier to balance) or large outdoor block play at children's centres. Lego is also quite good as the towers get really bendy as they get very high and bend over. My 2 year old went from making high vertical towers to making horizontal lines with blocks.

In his artwork glue and sellotape might be good resources. My mindee 3 has been for 6 months sellotaping bits of a4 together, cutting small shapes and then sellotaping or gluing these on.

have fun watching!