PDA

View Full Version : Marked differences between childminders and nursery

Tinglesnark
03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
I have a lady visiting tomorrow and she was questioning me in great detail about the marked differences between cm's and nurseries as she cannot decide which she would prefer.

People like that make my brain freeze and any knowledge that i may have just shrivvels up and i end up stammering that i will find out for them which is beyond pathetic when i SHOULD be able to reel off the differences...

Could you shout out any that spring to mind please?

I shall write them down so that i dont forget when faced with this tyrant

(by the way...i am fully prepared to be "full" if this lady turns out to be as difficult as she sounds on the phone!)

Thanks

x

flowerpots
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a lady visiting tomorrow and she was questioning me in great detail about the marked differences between cm's and nurseries as she cannot decide which she would prefer.

People like that make my brain freeze and any knowledge that i may have just shrivvels up and i end up stammering that i will find out for them which is beyond pathetic when i SHOULD be able to reel off the differences...

Could you shout out any that spring to mind please?

I shall write them down so that i dont forget when faced with this tyrant

(by the way...i am fully prepared to be "full" if this lady turns out to be as difficult as she sounds on the phone!)
Thanks

x

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Childminders
More homely
Children interact with children of all different ages
Get to go out into community more often

My minds gone blank too :panic: will come back when i think of some more.

xx

rickysmiths
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
We are more flexible interms of days and hours we can offer

Smaller numbers of children so more personal care

Only you (and maybe and assistant) care for children so continuity of care at all times and you get to know the children very well. In a nursery there can be high turnover of staff

Go out and about in their community and further afield every week where as nurseries go away from the nursery less frequently and some never

Mixing with all ages of children, they are kept in age specific rooms for most of the day in nursery

More able to cater for individual routines

Homely atmoshere not an institution

lou lou
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
there is not a turn over of staff like there is in a nursery

caz3007
03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Child is able to bond with the carer as only one and as long as parent sends the child, thats not going to change, unlike a nursery that MAY have a high staff turnover

Polly2
03-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Some points here http://www.*************/for_parents/choosing_a_childminder.aspx

and a film! :thumbsup:

Mouse
03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Similarities:

both follow EYFS

Nursery positives:
usually no closure for staff holiday, illness etc

more staff, so always some one to be with the children, unlike when a childminder goes to the toilet, makes the meals, is dealing with one child

maybe more resources

more input form outside agencies

Nursery negatives:

children tend to be in a group only with children of the same age

don't go out of nursery much

will have a keyworker, but what if keyworker is away. How well will the child know whoever takes their place?

Often very young girls employed, with little life experience, or even experience of children

Often fast turnover of staff, so children have to get used to new keyworker

Often moved onto the next group by age, not necessarily based on child's ability & development

Less chance for flexibility - activities set out and that's what they do. Little spontineity.

Less individual planning

Often sleep time/bottle time is set & not when the child needs it

children insitutionalised from a young age

Childminders positive:

Home from home setting

individual planning

continuity with the same carer

huge opportunity for spontineity

Go out & about

chances to mix with a range of ages

more personal care

more experienced carer

childminding hours more flexible

fexible planning to suit the child's individual needs

Childminder negatives:

Closure for holidays & illness

possibly less resources (though not necessarily true!)

no funded places for 3yr olds unless the cm is accredited

I'm sure there are loads more things, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I would also point out to the parents that many nursery workers chose a childminder for their own children!

Tinglesnark
03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh these replies are fab! Thanks folks! Half of them wouldn't have crossed my mind! I'm going to draw up a leaflet to hand to mum to read instead of her grilling me lol

Pipsqueak
03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I think... get her settled in with a cuppa and your photos and open with a line like:

you were asking about the difference between me and a nursery... well I think my home speaks for itself....

and let HER spot the differences....

Tinglesnark
03-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I think... get her settled in with a cuppa and your photos and open with a line like:

you were asking about the difference between me and a nursery... well I think my home speaks for itself....

and let HER spot the differences....

:clapping:
good one
:laughing:

Tinglesnark
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Similarities:

both follow EYFS

Nursery positives:
usually no closure for staff holiday, illness etc

more staff, so always some one to be with the children, unlike when a childminder goes to the toilet, makes the meals, is dealing with one child

maybe more resources

more input form outside agencies

Nursery negatives:

children tend to be in a group only with children of the same age

don't go out of nursery much

will have a keyworker, but what if keyworker is away. How well will the child know whoever takes their place?

Often very young girls employed, with little life experience, or even experience of children

Often fast turnover of staff, so children have to get used to new keyworker

Often moved onto the next group by age, not necessarily based on child's ability & development

Less chance for flexibility - activities set out and that's what they do. Little spontineity.

Less individual planning

Often sleep time/bottle time is set & not when the child needs it

children insitutionalised from a young age

Childminders positive:

Home from home setting

individual planning

continuity with the same carer

huge opportunity for spontineity

Go out & about

chances to mix with a range of ages

more personal care

more experienced carer

childminding hours more flexible

fexible planning to suit the child's individual needs

Childminder negatives:

Closure for holidays & illness

possibly less resources (though not necessarily true!)

no funded places for 3yr olds unless the cm is accredited

I'm sure there are loads more things, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I would also point out to the parents that many nursery workers chose a childminder for their own children!

I just c&p'd this and added everyones input on to my headed paper and have it on the front page of my portfolio! :thumbsup:

thank you! it has given me some courage - i like it when i know i am armed haha

x

flora
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I would answer that by saying all of the above plus.......

" and as you can see I don't work in a day nursery so your child would be missing out on me and all the fun and opportunities I can offer":D

Mrs.L.C
03-05-2011, 05:00 PM
A childminder can offer more personal care and the children and their family become apart of the family and have a closer working relationship

Can be cheaper

A childminder can continue the care of a child for many many years, even when they start school

Someone mentioned about childminders time off/holiday/illness. I always mention that another childminder the child knows maybe able to cover. This obv depends how much you mix with other childminders

Parent is more likely to get more photos via email or in childs learning journal when with a childminder than with a nursery

Only pros I can think (that I dont think have been mentioned) with a nursery are - they may get a cooked meal incl in the fees