PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need it!!

Dragonfly
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
We are thinking of getting a puppy ( the litter was born 3 weeks ago) apart from the last 3 years when our last dog died we have always had a dog.
Do I need the time consuming mess of a puppy and minded children? AND iVE ONLY HAD MY OAK FLOORING ONE YEAR:eek: ( dont mind the walking bit, have two grown up children and a nearly 16 year old).
How do I stand with Ofsted? any views and information would be very gratefully recieved.
Has anyone got a small puppy (my last dog was nearly 14 when she died had her from 8 weeks old) out of practice with dogs, but as someone said on a old thread I remember reading " A house isnt a home without a dog!":)

debratina
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
hi
i have three dogs, a westie who is 11, a chocolate lab that we adopted 10 weeks ago who is nearly 7 and a golden lab that we adopted a year ago who is 5. my mindees love the dogs. if you dont want the mess that goes with a puppy what about adopting an older dog?
like you said a house isn't home without a dog :)
i haven't had to tell ofsted about them and the inspector as meet two of them.
plus points its exercise for you and its an activity you can do with the mindees walking the dog.
if you do get a dog i strongly advised you get it insured.
dog bless
Debra x

PixiePetal
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
we had an old dog, sadly put to sleep 3 weeks ago :( and a pup who is now 17months old :)

She is a terrier cross and we have a crate in the kitchen for her to sleep in and get some peace!

the mess didn't last for long - she never messed in her crate and I used to get her outside(well DH got up early :blush: ) first thing to do her business and put her out through the day till she was clean and dry. Got her at 8 weeks and clean and dry by 14 weeks, by being consistent with her.

Our kitchen has tiled floor so easy to clean anyway - never had wood so can't advise on that. We were having more trouble and puddles with the old dog at that time :o

Older children love her - especially as DD has taught her tricks :rolleyes: crawling baby and lively 2 yr old are a bit harder - the crate has been invaluable there:thumbsup: I let her out when children are up the table/high chair/in other room.

good luck - what breed are you thinking of?

AnnieM
01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I have 4 cockers, 2 are almost 5, one is 3 and 1 is 16 months, oh and we also have 6, 5 day old puppies. :D :D The children love them to pieces and they love the kids, although I don't allow the dogs in the house during the day when the children are here, they have their own annexe and run of the back yard.
I would have thought that most puppies born around this time of the year should be pretty easy to housetrain, the last litter we had were born in winter and were more difficult, but the one prior to that were born in May and went to their new homes at 8 weeks amost fully housetrained. I breed and show cockers, so do have litters occasionally, the kids think it's wonderful watching the tiny puppies grow into playful little bundles. :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
02-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Thank you for your answers.The puppy would have a crate (already thought of that one!) in the utility room as like the kitchen it has ceramic tiles so easy to wash/mop.As it has been three years without a dog does seem a bit daunting to get another, but we have always had them and my husband would love it again.We have chickens which are messy things, so used to mess outside.And like Anniem said this time of year should be easier to house train the puppy as the weather is better.I could use a wooden playpen outside whilst he is very young if warm enough and Im out there with the children:thumbsup: anybody got one to sell?

P.s Small Lurcher this time, had a big Lurcher before.

miffy
02-05-2011, 07:38 AM
It sounds like you've thought it all through.

If you're really not sure though don't go and see the puppies or it will be too hard to resist!!!!!! :)

Miffy xx