View Full Version : Emergency Contact Info

01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I have two mindees on contract albeit one doesn't actually attend until June.

One Boy is 7 and I have him before school 4 day a week. The other is a baby who will be full time.

Neither set of parents seem to be able to provide me with an alternative point of contact if I can't get hold of them.

Do we legally have to have this?

01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes you do... if parents cannot give you alternative contacts (grandparents, aunts and uncles etc) then they must give you their wishes for if they die while you have their child (to put it bluntly)!!

One of my parents was a lone father with nobody else to call. He told me that I was to contact social services.

Hth :D

01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
make sure you have work numbers and mobile numbers and if they don't have any relatives in area ask for name and address of one out of area explaining you need this in case of accident so police can at least contact someone. or even ask for a friends number explaining about what would happen if either of them was in accident and the other was at the hospital with them someone would have to collect children... i always try and make sure i have as many contacts as possible with all of mine ive got about 4 names for each..

01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
All my parents have to give two sets of info.

1 is for immediate emergencies like the child faalling ill, having an accident or you having an emergency and needing the child to be collected but you cant get hold of the parent. So this could be a reative or a trusted friend who the child knows and could collect the child and take them home or to their home.

2nd is a Next of Kin for where they have to fill in 3 people in order. They are the parents next of kin and or the childs Legal Gaudian as named in their Will. I started taking this information after the bombs in London because all communications went down for hours. They actually deliberatly cut off all mobile networks and although it didn't affect me I do know cms who couldn't get hold of parents and the parents couldn't contact the cms and they couldn't get out of London. Sadly some never did. A parent could be killed in a car accident. In this instance you would be bound to call Ofsted and Social Services but if you have the additional info, even if they live in Australia at least you and the authorities can contact them and put in place what is needed for the child.

01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
we've just moved and have no family close and as yet, don't know anyone local!

i had to give school emergency contact details. after much thought we gave them my mother, who lives 250 miles away, my BIL & his wife, who live about 280 miles away (and are the childrens legal guardians should anything happen to us) and BIL & wifes best friends who live about 45 mins away from us! we do know them, and they have become friends, plus, they would easily be able to get hols of BIL/wife who work away alot and have all methods of contact, rather than giving complicated instructions to school!

it was really scary suddenly realising that we had no one close to rely on.

once when i was a nanny, i was doing a short term contract whilst the parents went to a conference overseas for 10 days. as this family were in the UK from canada for a years placement, they had no family, and no friends as they hadn't been here long! children not at school or preschool! on my first day (before they left the next morning) they got the neighbours to witness their wills, and that should anything happen to them, i would be responsible for the children until a family member could collect them :eek: i didn't think much about it until i had children of my own and then was horrified at the responsibility i had been potentially been given.

01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Very very few of my parents can offer emergency contact details, as we all move very frequently. In fact for school age kids I tend to be the emergency contact number. I have an uncollected child policy which states I will contact social services in the event of an uncollected child.
If a parent does not have an emergency contact person then they cannot give you one. The schools here do not have an emergency contact person for any of my sons, they have not asked me what they should do if I die cos it's kind of obvious that social services would be called.