PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge for bank holidays?

bec123
30-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't charge for bank holidays? I've been doing my invoices and I've missed out on quite a lot of money over the last couple of weeks due to the number of bank holidays we are having! I'm now thinking that I should charge as normal for bank holidays and am happy to work but would charge double time - would this be ok? I'm currently reviewing/amending my policies where necessary so now would be a good time to give notice to parents of my intention to start charging for bank holidays - what do you think??
My thinking behind this is that most people get paid for bank holidays i.e. parents get paid so why shouldn't I?

sarah707
30-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I am not prepared to work and I have never in 18 years been asked to work... so no I don't charge.

I aim to budget in advance for things like bank holidays and my holidays so that I have enough money for the month. :D

westbrom44
30-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I charge normal fees for bank holidays not worked and am happy to work them for double fees.

When I started childminding I charged usual fees for bank holidays and gave parents the option of sending their child. I found that some parents still sent their child even though they were off and getting paid. I have never been asked to work them since introducing double fees and nobody complained.

Any bank holidays that I dont want to work such as Christmas and New Year I take as holiday and dont charge.

Pixie dust
30-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't charge for bank holidays as I don't want to work them so don't think it's fair to charge.

FussyElmo
30-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I dont want to work bh's so dont charge :thumbsup:

Gracie's mamma
30-04-2011, 08:35 PM
No way , i don't work and i take it as a nice day to have with my family . I don't work i don't get paid :)

rickysmiths
30-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I am paid. Normal fee if they dont come, double fee if they do, triple fee for Christmas and New Year. I have only ever been asked to work one Bank Holiday in 17yrs. I also charge full fee for all my holiday and theirs and I don' feel guilty at all.

After all Plumbers, window cleaners, car mechanics, piano teachers, all charge 3 or 4 times and more an hour for their services than I do so they cover their holidays etc.

lorimac
30-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I've never charged for being off on bank holidays either. I do charge double time if i'm required to work them.

miffy
01-05-2011, 07:53 AM
I charge for bank holidays if they fall on a contracted day but I don't work them, this is written into parents contracts so has never been a problem.

Miffy xx

Hebs
01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
normal fee if not worked, double if worked

:thumbsup:

louised
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I also charge normal fee if not worked, double time if I am asked to work but have never worked one yet. I never used to charge until i discovered that all the childminders in my area charge for them

Dragonfly
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
No, dont want to work them, so dont charge.

Rubybubbles
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't charge:) never have, all about planning!:rolleyes:

babs
01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
i charge normal fee if it falls on contracted day and they dont use me , double fee if thye require my services as im available only ones i dont charge for are if im on holiday and it falls in week im off or xmas ones as i take 2 weeks off over xmas and new year ..

carol cameron
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
In 14 years of childminding I have always charged full fee for bank holidays but I am not available to work them. I have always pointed this out to parents when they first visit me and no-one has ever complained about it.

I know on "other forums" the argument is that plumbers and other self employed people, don't get paid for bank holidays but I feel that as they usually work for more than £3.50 an hour before expenses, I can justify charging for the hours that the child would normally attend on that day.
It works for me anyway:)

Chatterbox Childcare
01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I still charge if it is a contracted day and if I am required it is £25 per hour (this was calculated at double time for 3 children).

Mookins
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
double time if they come nothing if they done...and i get toenjoy a day off

xxx

catswhiskers
01-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Up until around a year ago I used to charge full rate for BHs.

Then realised when doing tax return was charging full rate but not working so couldn't claim any expenses etc. so ended up paying more tax.

Now I don't charge for BHs.

phoenix2010
02-05-2011, 12:54 AM
yes I charge for bank holidays but i also make myself available to work , its up to the parents if they want to use me or not , mostly they dont

i charge £6 per hour , same as my weekend rate

i do look after some children in term time only and for these i charge for bank holidays that fall only on a term time week , but then i dont ask for retainers during school holidays because it suits me to have these free to spend with my son, its also a big attraction to parents, so gets me lots of business , sorry going off topic a bit :)