PDA

View Full Version : Working in Partnership

Pipsqueak
28-04-2011, 03:37 PM
What is your definition of working in partnership... not just with parents but with other professionals.
How do you go about this
What barriers have you come across/encountered?

(Just a bit of prelim research for an essay)

Kes
28-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Working with the other people that spend a long time with the kids such as teacher, nursery staff.

Sharing information especially when it comes to learning journals so you can get a better picture of the childs development.

Problem is them not working with you which a lot of childminders seem to encounter.
It can also be the parents not giving permission to share info or not telling you who the child has contact with.

The Juggler
28-04-2011, 04:45 PM
What is your definition of working in partnership... not just with parents but with other professionals.

with parents, forming a professional yet friendly relationship where I come across as caring, flexible and available. allowing parents to feel they can approach me about issues (negative or positive) to do with me or the child. Where a parent is happy to discuss, accept or use my advice or where their sharing of information with me enhances the care of the child. Where I support parents as much as I support the child in my care (and that has happened with many of my parents :p ) With other professionals, being able to come across as professional, knowing /being knoweldgeable about what I'm talkign about and being able to put my point across. Being professional yet persistent when I don't feel I get the advice, support I need or where I feel they are taking no notice because I'm 'just' a childminder - raising the profile of CM's.

How do you go about this

As above but in addition getting out there - being active in schools, children's centres and with other minders. Trying to deal directly with other professionals involved with my mindees, developing good communication systems with parents (two way) for sharing information or just day to day concerns or issues. Having good policies in place for all of the above ;) Getting parents engaged in their child's development and feeling successful when I know this has happened. Developign my own knowlege through training and study to enhance partnerships and practice

What barriers have you come across/encountered? parent lack of interest or reluctance to share information. Parents not seeking help when we suspect that a child is either behind developmentally or there are other medical issues or when parent support is needd where we suspect care is lacking. Support for us when this happens. Negative viewpoint of other professionals (about us - not being taken seriously), schools/nurseries not wanting to share information or not being intersted in information we share with them.

(Just a bit of prelim research for an essay)

Hope that's ok, did it on the hop hon but that's what instantly came off the tip of my tongue. And I know it's the longest definition in the world but I'm not good with short and sweet :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
28-04-2011, 05:21 PM

mine is a mindees mum getting me legal representation from a few solicitors her employers work with ;) :D :laughing:

does that count??? :thumbsup:

The Juggler
28-04-2011, 08:40 PM
mine is a mindees mum getting me legal representation from a few solicitors her employers work with ;) :D :laughing:

does that count??? :thumbsup:

most def. :clapping: :laughing: :laughing: and I remember another post about a mindees mum complaining to ofsted about her ofsted report - that most def. is.:laughing:

Hebs
28-04-2011, 09:07 PM
most def. :clapping: :laughing: :laughing: and I remember another post about a mindees mum complaining to ofsted about her ofsted report - that most def. is.:laughing:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

what amazing parents eh!!!

Polly2
29-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Regarding other professionals I think one of the biggest barriers is peoples view of childminders. In my experience we are often viewed as lesser than other professionals - or not even as professionals at all :( which means that we are not seen as important enough to be consulted. This makes it difficult for us to work in partnership.

Most parents however view us differently - especially the ones that see how much work and commitment we put into our jobs

Pauline
29-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Regarding other professionals I think one of the biggest barriers is peoples view of childminders. In my experience we are often viewed as lesser than other professionals - or not even as professionals at all :( which means that we are not seen as important enough to be consulted. This makes it difficult for us to work in partnership.

Most definitely agree with that Polly.

Sadly many childminders still suffer from being viewed as nothing more than a babysitter who does little with the children. :(

I was met with some very amazed faces when I produced an information sheet linking their development to EYFS for the children in my care when they started nursery and school. When I offered them the chance to view the LJ's I was told they didn't really have time to read through them :huh: but the info sheets were taken and kept.

I've frequently asked for information about what they are doing with the children but get nothing.:(
Thankfully parents are wonderful and share the information they get with me. :thumbsup:

Pauline
29-04-2011, 03:19 PM

sorry didn't answer this bit - my definition is professionals working together to share information and their own procedures for the sole purpose of improving the care and development of the children.

onceinabluemoon
29-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't know if I have a definition as such but I always took it to mean that its how we work together for the best interests of the child.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in real life. I seem to have to nag everybody and mostly other professionals just humour me. NO other professionals have EVER bothered to ask me to work with them even when I minded a child who had profound additional needs.

Now I just don't even bother trying most of them time as I know I'm banging my head against a wall.

BUT I'm good at working with parents and getting them to work with me so all is not lost :)