PDA

View Full Version : feeding one year old

phoenix2010
28-04-2011, 11:11 AM
mum sends him with jars but now wants to send a packed lunch and get him eating more substantial foods and has asked for suggestions

He is 14 months old
He eats quite well , loves to get his hands into his food but gags on fruit even banana, so wondering how to introduce fruit and veg , he only has 2 little teeth

So far im thinking
carbohyrates......rice cakes , little sandwiches , oat cakes , bread sticks , pittas ,

protein....slices of ham/chicken, cheese , sausages,

veg...garden peas and cooked baby carrots

desserts .... yogurts

Struggling to remember what I gave my kids at this age

Thanks

The Juggler
28-04-2011, 11:15 AM
mum sends him with jars but now wants to send a packed lunch and get him eating more substantial foods and has asked for suggestions

He is 14 months old
He eats quite well , loves to get his hands into his food but gags on fruit even banana, so wondering how to introduce fruit and veg , he only has 2 little teeth

So far im thinking
carbohyrates......rice cakes , little sandwiches , oat cakes , bread sticks , pittas , cooked pasta, noodles

protein....slices of ham/chicken, cheese , sausages,

veg...garden peas and cooked baby carrotsgreen beans, corn, brocoli - anything really ;)

desserts .... yogurts, kiwi, banana, soft pear, satsuma

Struggling to remember what I gave my kids at this age

Thanks

sounds perfect, jsut added a few other suggestions :thumbsup:

phoenix2010
28-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks , how could i miss off past :)
ill add noodles , he will have great fun with that

mum is reluctant to give even soft fruits as he always gags , might have to mash up the banana but then thats defeating the object really

i just gave him a slice of cucumber and hes happily munching on it :)

samb
28-04-2011, 12:56 PM
If she gives him pasta she can puree veg into a sauce for it - that's what I do with mine. Gets plenty of veg in without even knowing ;)

phoenix2010
29-04-2011, 06:57 AM
lol sounds messy !!

good idea , and mum wont care about the mess because it will be me cleaning him up after ha ha :laughing:

sweets
29-04-2011, 07:37 AM
at 14 months i would just be giving him whatever you and the other children are having.

just mush it slightly or chop it and let him eat it as finger food.

phoenix2010
29-04-2011, 07:23 PM
He is only with me for lunch and i dont provide any children with lunch

they all bring pack ups :)

I am managing to avoid providing any meals at the moment and to be honest I prefer it that way:thumbsup:

Flisspaps
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
At 14 months just give him whatever the rest of you are having - there is absolutely no reason why he can't have it (other than whole nuts, and you'll need to cut grapes in half)

There's also no need to mash it up - just cut it into bite sized pieces if necesary. Stuff like chill, bolognese or casserole can just be spooned on to the high chair and picked up with fingers. Even a yoghurt can be eaten with hands (or a loaded spoon!)

Gagging is fine - it's a natural thing to do so babies learn not to stick things in the back of their throat. Give him half a banana and he'll be fine - you'll know what to do if he chokes anyway (which is unlikely)

Flisspaps
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
In that case - just tell mum he can have anything (or suggest she has a look at the Baby Led Weaning book by Gill Rapley - might help her to worry less about the gagging thing too!)