PDA

View Full Version : totally confused about which wourse to do in Wales

lollyr82
28-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi all, i really hope someone out there from Wales might be able to help me as i'm totally confused! lol

I decided to begin the process of becoming a childminder so went to the pre reg briefing in Newport a few weeks ago. When i called to book on to the NCMA ICP course it was full in Newport, Cardiff and Caerphilly and cant attend the others because of dates. Because of this I'm trying to look into online course and trying to find out what people think of them as am worried about lack of support to complete them. When you do the NCMA ICP course obviously there are others there to chat to but am worried about being out on my own and not having a clue.

I'm also really confused about which courses are recognised in Wales. I called the CSSIW who said that the only course they recognise is the ICP and it doesnt matter which training provider i go to, as long as i complete the ICP course i can register to work in wales. However, when I phoned the NCMA they dont offer the ICP online, only the CYPOP 5. so....i called the CSSIW back up and asked if they recognised the CYPOP5 and the person i spoke to said they'd never heard of it??? Surely if its offered by the NCMA this might be the right course? Have looked online for ICP course but only found the NEC icp course and am worried about finding a test centre around here and having to wait months for test dates.

There isnt another NVMA course in Newport this year and I wouldnt qualify for funding even if there was so cost isnt too much of a factor, just wondering if anyone knows what qualifications are recognised and which are good to do?? any advice appreciated :)

Thanks L x x

rachelmama
28-04-2011, 11:04 AM
hiya

I was very interessed in you post because my hubby was going to the brief session in newport but didnt because of work comitments, he works shifts and i rang ncma and asked about the online course, we wouldnt get any funding but has decided to do the cypop5 online couse witch will cost £24o pounds for by the nec.
so we are just waiting now for it to go through. I did the icp about a year ago i but we have been busy decorating every room we have and garden so havent got registered yet because i wonna make sure our garden is safe first before inspection but almost there
good luck

lollyr82
28-04-2011, 11:09 AM
thanks for your reply, have just been having a look at the info from the ncma on the cypop5 assignments and tasks and they look really really daunting. I've been to uni and am a qualified teacher and usually dont struggle with academic work but the the info they have sent me has made me really apprehensive. What did you think if it all? x

Polly2
28-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I have pm'd you :thumbsup:

rachelmama
28-04-2011, 02:42 PM
hi
when i rang the nec about the course he said it is only a couple of weeks to complete but i havent seen any questions for it .