PDA

View Full Version : Potty or training seat?

Hayley102
28-04-2011, 10:05 AM
After getting rid of my toilet training seat and potty because I wasn't taking any more little ones on - I changed my mind!:D Now I have a 2 year old who will be starting toilet training soon. I don't mind supporting the process but am currently writting a policy stating that the parents must start the process and child be fairly confident prior to coming in pants to me. My dilema is do I purchase a potty, a toilet training seat or both?

onceinabluemoon
28-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a toilet seat which has a toddler seat built in and sticks in the lid when not in use (ie most of the time), saves fiddling about with a loose one. I wont use a potty because I find they stick to little bottoms and then the contents get spilled all over my carpets (however do have a potette for when out and about in case we get a 'desperate' child and no loo for miles/metres.

cupcake22
28-04-2011, 03:34 PM
After getting rid of my toilet training seat and potty because I wasn't taking any more little ones on - I changed my mind!:D Now I have a 2 year old who will be starting toilet training soon. I don't mind supporting the process but am currently writting a policy stating that the parents must start the process and child be fairly confident prior to coming in pants to me. My dilema is do I purchase a potty, a toilet training seat or both?

Hi I was just reading your post & it has come to my notice that i dont have a policy for this. It would be very helpfull if you can give me any ideas regardng your policy as it always worries me when parents ask about potty training as quite often they do expect you to start the process. I have always managed to get round this by saying that it a good i idea for them to start it & then i can support them & their child however a policy would clear up any awkward moments. Sorry for being so cheeky and i would just buy a cheap potty & go with that.

Cupcake 22

singingcactus
28-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Toilet seat I can live without - in fact I do. Potty is essential as little people cannot possibly gain the independence they need if they cannot have access to equipment their own size and therefore have to rely on an adult being free, willing and able to lift them up onto the big toilet.

Hayley102
28-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi I was just reading your post & it has come to my notice that i dont have a policy for this. It would be very helpfull if you can give me any ideas regardng your policy as it always worries me when parents ask about potty training as quite often they do expect you to start the process. I have always managed to get round this by saying that it a good i idea for them to start it & then i can support them & their child however a policy would clear up any awkward moments. Sorry for being so cheeky and i would just buy a cheap potty & go with that.

Cupcake 22

I am happy to share my policy with you once I have completed it.

little chickee
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I prefer to go straight to toilet training seat and skip potties.

I have had kids who will go on the potty but take for ever to progress to the toilet. I've toilet trained a couple of boys who were big for their age and literally didnt fit on the potty.

And also i have had potties sticking to bums!!

I do have a potty for if a child has a fear of the toilet but i usually find that if a child goes straight to the toilet without ever using a potty the fear of the toilet doesnt develop.

Louise0208
03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
none of my own kids would use a potty......strait to toilet for us here :)

i do have one of those seated pottys kept downstairs though (with the back & arm rests) just incase LO cant make it in time.......my DD who is training at the mo wont use it to peepee in, she watches telly sitting in it :rolleyes:

snufflepuff
03-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I have the lot here- a toilet seat with child seat built in downstairs, a little cushioned training seat for upstairs, a basic potty, and a potty-chair with a back and arms. And a potette for out and about.
My son mostly uses the potty-chair but will use to toilet too. He hates basic potties, can't get comfortable.
I think it's best for chidlren to be able to use both if possible- that way if you are nowhere near a toilet they will use a potty, and if you know you will be close to a toilet all day you can leave the potty at home. They all learn to use an adult toilet eventually either way.