PDA

View Full Version : Food (again)

VINASOL
27-04-2011, 12:09 PM
we've just come back from St. Thomas' hospital where the dietician really made it clear to me that I needed to stop my DD (4) from having any kind of milk protein in her diet for a month (need to do this before cutting out wheat).

So, from July (see consultant on 1st August) I have to stop all milk protein. This in itself is going to be very difficult for me as DD is VERY FUSSY and only drinks milk or water anyways (luckily I have stopped her drinking milk and she only has it in cereal for breakfast but this has to stop) but of course it has to be done.

The thing I'm anxious about is that my DD may well end up having completely different foods to mindees (such as DD will not be allowed cereal). Two of my mindees usually refuse too eat their food if my DD has something different (i.e. wanting same as her).

How do I manage this? Obviously i will write a note in my next newsletter and I will explain to parents but these two mindees are very stubborn and will sit and cry at the table rather than eat what has been put in front of them.

Sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall when talking to the kids/kids parents!

how do you manage children who - for medical reasons - have to have a different diet to everyone else?

mama2three
27-04-2011, 12:20 PM
can she have cereal with soy yoghurt or soya milk on? Ds3 loves cheerios etc without milk too.
I really empathise , it was a nightmare cutting all gluten from ds' diet and Im sure milk protein will prove just as difficult. The only way we found it worked was to hardly have any processed food at all - lots of cooking from scratch and learning to read labels meticulously!
One minder I know stopped meals altogether and all mindees started to bring packed lunches when one of her mindees had numerous food allergies. It did stop the bickering , but she was lucky to have understanding parents.
Good Luck x

BuggsieMoo
27-04-2011, 12:38 PM
my daughter who is 4 (just) is dairy, soya, wheat and egg intolerant and see's a diectican for this. Diary and Soya go hand in hand and you are usually intolerant to both. My daughter has oat milk with added calcium and vitamins which all supermarkets sell with the longlife milk. Good luck.

I have to tailor cooking etc to suit my daughter and use things like vitalite (dairy free) when baking.

If you need any assistance give me a shout - im in year 3 of this now!

xx Lisa xx

VINASOL
27-04-2011, 12:47 PM
my daughter who is 4 (just) is dairy, soya, wheat and egg intolerant and see's a diectican for this. Diary and Soya go hand in hand and you are usually intolerant to both. My daughter has oat milk with added calcium and vitamins which all supermarkets sell with the longlife milk. Good luck.

I have to tailor cooking etc to suit my daughter and use things like vitalite (dairy free) when baking.

If you need any assistance give me a shout - im in year 3 of this now!

xx Lisa xx

My DD has tried most other milks (soya, oat etc) and doesn't like any of them, so it's really hard. She will have to have calcium supplements (liquid form) as they said it might affect her bone density not having milk products.

Any help you can give would be fab...my DD is really fussy and one thing which is going to be the hardest is finding decent chocolate...I know it sounds crazy but that's her favourite thing in the whole world lol. Ice cream too. I dont' mind cooking from scratch and rarely buy processed foods anyway but its amazing the things that have milk protein in. Dietician says i have to avoid protein and other 'numbers' so am waiting for details to be sent.

I'm not really looking forward to it but I have to be strong and do it.

kindredspirits
27-04-2011, 01:12 PM
buy yourself an ice cream maker and make it out of oat milk or rice milk - same with her cereal - oat milk is really nice, it tastes like vanilla so should go nicely on cereal. failing that i would say for a month you won't be offering cereal as a first choice breakfast in order to avoid arguments.
i think you can buy dairy free chocolate but i'm not sure. also there is an ice cream available online called 'coconice' and it is dairy and soya free (made from rice milk i believe)

BuggsieMoo
27-04-2011, 01:31 PM
My DD has tried most other milks (soya, oat etc) and doesn't like any of them, so it's really hard. She will have to have calcium supplements (liquid form) as they said it might affect her bone density not having milk products.

Any help you can give would be fab...my DD is really fussy and one thing which is going to be the hardest is finding decent chocolate...I know it sounds crazy but that's her favourite thing in the whole world lol. Ice cream too. I dont' mind cooking from scratch and rarely buy processed foods anyway but its amazing the things that have milk protein in. Dietician says i have to avoid protein and other 'numbers' so am waiting for details to be sent.

I'm not really looking forward to it but I have to be strong and do it.

You can get chocoloate floavoured oat milk - this is all my daughter will drink. Also nesquick banana and strawberry has no milk produce in it, chocolate does.

If you PM your details (email) ive got a list of foods you can and cant have on a dairy and soya free diet if thats any help and also all the names milk is known by. I can send it tonight x