PDA

View Full Version : Which insurance? NCMA or Morton Michel

Susana0600
26-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I've been reading a lot in the forum about insurance, but still don't know which is better to get, as new child minder I will have my first insurance, so which one will you recommended? please help :o :o

Pipsqueak
26-04-2011, 10:04 PM
You need to keep the issues of insurance separate from the membership to NCMA.

Membership to the NCMA is valuable (but not compulsory) - the NCMA do sterling work on behalf of all minders ie lobbying government, reducing or keeping fees down (Ofsted), working with other organisations.

However, the issue of insurances..... it is rather a bone of contention with many that NCMA is not in touch with its members. Insurance and legal services are farmed out to other companies who act in NCMA's name.

gemma.windsor
27-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't know but I am with NCMA they seem to work for me just fine... my recomendation is them :)

Susana0600
27-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Thank you very much for reply guys, really helpful xx

tulip0803
27-04-2011, 04:56 PM
You need to keep the issues of insurance separate from the membership to NCMA.

Membership to the NCMA is valuable (but not compulsory) - the NCMA do sterling work on behalf of all minders ie lobbying government, reducing or keeping fees down (Ofsted), working with other organisations.

However, the issue of insurances..... it is rather a bone of contention with many that NCMA is not in touch with its members. Insurance and legal services are farmed out to other companies who act in NCMA's name.

Agree. I am a member of the NCMA and will always be one BUT my PLI is with Morton Michel as I believe their level of support when a parent does not pay is much better.

Hebs
27-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Agree. I am a member of the NCMA and will always be one BUT my PLI is with Morton Michel as I believe their level of support when a parent does not pay is much better.

NCMA dont give you ANY cover, go read my warning post!!!!

tulip0803
27-04-2011, 08:38 PM
NCMA dont give you ANY cover, go read my warning post!!!!

All the more reason that I know my decision to move PLI was right. Sorry you are going through it Hebs.

Blaze
27-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I am an NCMA member, but have my PLI with MM:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
27-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I am an NCMA member, but have my PLI with MM:thumbsup:

Me too :thumbsup:

gemma.windsor
28-04-2011, 08:34 AM
seems like every here is going with MM for their PLI why is this?

onceinabluemoon
28-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I have my PLI with MM too. They were helpful when I had a non paying parent and not pushy or anything, they also phoned me back when they said they would. (Unlike NCMA who studiously ignored the only 2 emails I ever sent them!)

I also use their contracts as I feel (personally) that they better protect the childminder than NCMA ones. They are also in plain English (NCMA use a bit of jargon which you understand better after you've been minding for years but starting out was a nightmare).

I have no personal experience of NCMA insurance, but there are enough posts on here stating that they refuse to help the minder or come down on the side of the parent even when the parent is in the wrong to put me off trying their PLI.

onceinabluemoon
28-04-2011, 08:51 AM
seems like every here is going with MM for their PLI why is this?

because our collective experiences show us that MM help us whereas experiences with NCMA haven't been as good and in some cases have been appalling.