PDA

View Full Version : trampoline or no trampoline

clumpcat
26-04-2011, 12:40 PM
hi all, i am wondering whether to get one for the garden, i have 2 boys of my own 5 and 7 and they have never really shown an interest in one but i'm wondering if i got one they would benefit(they play xbox alot when getting home from school) i am also wondering if it will benefit my setting by getting one for the other children to use.
any advice? pros and cons?
xx

Louise0208
26-04-2011, 12:43 PM
one of the best things i ever bought :thumbsup:

you can buy the additional tents to make it into a den during colder weather & buy those play-pit balls for fun with the little ones :D

RachelE
26-04-2011, 12:47 PM
If I didnt have my own 2 children, I'd say no.

They dont last that long and we've had to replace both the netting and the blue padding around.

However, my 2 really enjoy going on it and it is fantastic exercise.

But, as children under 6 cant go on it, but my dd age 4 can, I do feel mean not letting the ones who are 3,4, and 5 not on.

Rachel x

Rubybubbles
26-04-2011, 12:50 PM
it's one thing I have never been bothered about getting so no:laughing:

My own 2 are 9 and nearly 7 so have been there, my eldest is an outdoors child and would kick a football all day from about 2yrs so no worrys with the xbox thing!

alwaysright
26-04-2011, 01:05 PM
defo trampoline! best thing i ever bought. only the after schoolies and my own daughter allowed on as its quite a big high one but well worth the money and we've well had our use from it :laughing:

clumpcat
26-04-2011, 01:10 PM
thanks all, what about Ofsted, do they object to them?

mrs robbie williams
26-04-2011, 01:12 PM
definitely :thumbsup: mine is used all the time :) although the 3yr old prefers to go on it on his own while the others are at school which is perfect as the older ones do jump quite high. We have had ours (14 foot with enclosure) for about 3 years now and have only had to replace the enclosure once so far and that was about 40.00 as bought it online. If i hadnt had one before i started minding i would definitely have brought one. I have a risk assessment for mine if you want to look at it and also a permission form the parents must sign.

RachelE
26-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Make sure you read your manufacturers guidlines.

Even if you've got permission for a child under 6 to go on it and the guidelines say over 6, DO NOT let under 6's on.

A childminder was sued by parents and struck off!

Its not worth it!
I do not let anyone under 6 on.

Rachel x

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
26-04-2011, 03:17 PM
If you let on more than one child at a time or an under 6 then your insurence is invalid, doesnt matter if you have risk assessments or parental permission.

I just couldnt risk it!

nokidshere
26-04-2011, 10:43 PM
No - definitly not!

Trampolines are meant for supervised sport not for a whole group of children bouncing on them together - and yes most people do let more than one on at a time!

Under 6's can't use them anyway regrdless of what the parent says. And there is far too much room for serious injury - you dont need to fall off one to do serious damage.

Carpet Monkeys
27-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a trampoline and it's solely for the use of my own children ... no minded children allowed. My own kids do not use it during minding hours and are more than happy with this, however, to safeguard myself from a stray childminded child getting on it, I do have permission forms signed by parents!

FussyElmo
27-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a trampoline and yes I allow the mindess on it. Always one on at a time and they tend to get bored and come and play with the others and always the over 6's :D

My children however when all the mindees have gone go on together - flip and allsorts but they are mine and I can let them and bladder permitting i will sometimes go on too :laughing:

emmadines
27-04-2011, 10:48 PM
as Carpet Monkeys said if you allow minded children on get permission slip signed, also my trampoline netting and matting have been replaced twice already this one being the third cover, its cost me £75 each time it has been replaced :angry: its almost 2 years old!

the kids have been warned that if I see them swinging on the poles or netting or the surround and padding getting broken again then they will be banned from it on a permanent basis but my own two will not be...

I cant help it Im soft but im gonna stand by it this time!!!

but it was a fab buy

xx

VINASOL
28-04-2011, 07:18 AM
I have one too...and my 4yr old and 8yr old use it all the time (my DD since she was about 2).

I did let minded children use it at first (had permission), but now I do not allow any of them regardless of age to go on it. I'm just to paranoid about accidents (my lot are quite accident-prone too lol) so it's a no from me too :)

onceinabluemoon
28-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't simply because my own children are teenagers and far too lazy to bounce after the initial buzz has worn off and mindees are not allowed on until they're 6 which would mean only some could go on then there'd be whining "oh but my mummy lets me" which would drive me scatty, lol

JumpingJacks
28-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Not something for me, even though I know my own would love one! Too risky, my DD could fall over nothing so a trampoline is just tempting fate!

Jac x

Hayley102
28-04-2011, 09:50 AM
We got a trampoline for my son last Christmas. I have been very unsure about letting the mindees on as it is not within my sight/supervission all the time. But think I will give them a chance this summer. - Only 6 years + and one at a time.

BuggsieMoo
28-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I've got 4 kids aged 4, 6, 8 and 9 years as well as 4 mindees who come (at different times) aged 5, 4, 4, and 1 year. All are allowed on the trampoline besides the 1 year old - for safety reasons. We have rules in place

1) Not allowed to use without an adult present supervising
2) No more than 1 child per time on trampoline (during working hours)
3) all sharps are removed i.e. trainers and glasses
4) Socks must be worn at all times
5) Safety net must be secured in place and done up at all times the trampoline is in use.
6) Miss using the trampoline means no use of trampoline

It is also checked daily to ensure it is safe to use.

Parents all sign an agreement to use this piece of large garden equipment.

samb
28-04-2011, 01:09 PM
What about the little ones then with the handles??? I am hoping to get one for my ds for his 3rd birthday. We are in a flat and so have been looking at the galt folding trampoline which is from age 3. Obviously I wouldn't let under 3s on it but hadn't thought about not letting anyone use it at all. I feel that as I haven't got my own garden I try and have items in doors or have items that are easy to take in and out so they do not miss out on some physical activities. (eg we have moon sand indoors, ball pit which is blow up, tent and tunnels which are pop up etc)

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
28-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I have one that my two dd's go on one is nearly 12 and one is nearly 3 but I do not let anyone else go on it, my dd let my nearly 3 year old mindee go on it and I got him off quick bless her she didn't no he wasnt allowed on it. (I had only gone to get him a drink when she put him on it before anyone asks).

Felt sorry for him but I will not let mindees on it, but I know this is not nice but I do let my dd's on it when I am minding as I am sick of having to put so much stuff away so the others don't get it.

karensmart4
28-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I've got 4 kids aged 4, 6, 8 and 9 years as well as 4 mindees who come (at different times) aged 5, 4, 4, and 1 year. All are allowed on the trampoline besides the 1 year old - for safety reasons. We have rules in place

5) Safety net must be secured in place and done up at all times the trampoline is in use.

Obviously it's down to you but I wouldn't take the risk of getting sued and deregistered just for the sake of a trampoline...... Morton Michel and prob other insurance company's do have specific cover for the use of trampolines but you must adhere to manufactorers guidelines which I think are 6 years plus and having parental consent makes no difference if a parent feels like suing they will. Sorry to sound mean :blush:

mushpea
28-04-2011, 07:53 PM
I wont have one because I think they are more hassle than they are worth , instead i bought a 10ft pool for the summer months , this also says not for children age under 6yrs so the older ones go in the big pool and the younger ones go in a paddling pool.

glitzygal
28-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I feel they are ok for the use with your own children, but i wouldnt risk it with minded children, i havent got one, even with risk assessments i feel they are to risky,
my LO has broken his collar bone, when he was with his dad on their own trampoline, i know one childminder who has been investigated when LO hurt back on her one and LO was on it on her own.......

parents werent happy........

but i can imagine they do entertain minded children a lot,,,, but not going to get one..........

seems even with best preventions in place,,, you would still get in trouble,,, if anything would happen.....

nokidshere
29-04-2011, 07:24 AM

If the trampolines instructions say that the age is 6+ (as most of them are), then having parental permission will mean nothing in a court of law if a younger child has an accident when using it.

loocyloo
29-04-2011, 09:13 AM
i don't have one, they scare me!

on a first aid course a few years ago, i met a childminder who broke her neck on a trampoline - she slipped, fell against the netting and landed awkwardly. she was very lucky and was/is ok. this just really scared me.

my children love them, and sometimes if there is one when we are out they can go on, whilst i watch! luckily none of their friends have them either. or, they have done trampolining courses ( where there are at least 2, if not 3 'spotters' )

i wouldn't be able to watch one child on a trampoline, because if i was watching that child, what would the others be up to?

little chickee
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I have a 12 foot trampoline with no safety enclosure.

My own boys 14, 11 and 8 are allowed on it along with any friend they may have over.

The only mindee who is allowed on it is my 6yo after schooler.

I would not buy one just for mindees to use if i didnt have my own kids.

tulip0803
03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't want one - it is not worth the risk for me. It is unfair to tell younger children that they cannot use it when they see the others having fun and I feel they are too dangerous having seen the injuries that some of my friends children have had from playing on them.

Toothfairy
04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I have taken ours down, it caused too many arguments with the under 6's not being able to use it when the over 6's were.

I'm also a Manager of a Dental Emergency Unit in the evenings and I come into contact with many, many young patients with trauma injuries from Trampolines.

Milli147
05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I have one, 12' with netting. It's nearly 5 years old and I've not had to replace anything (it's a JumpKing) My own children 10 and 8 use it all the time and for that I would say it's the best thing we've ever bought them.

However I only recently found out that even with permissions in place the young mindees should not use it, so now it's 'broken'. I have bought a Chad Valley one with a handle for age 2+, definately not as much fun but I am not risking getting sued.

That got me thinking about my own childrens' friends - when they come round and there are 2, 3 or 4 on it, and I am not obviously going to stand there and supervise all evening....I am guessing I would be sued if one of them were to have an accident.

The more I think about it, the more I think that they are great for your own children, but the risk of anyone elses on it? No.

ChocolateChip
05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I have the one with the handle for the lo's which I supervise very closely.
I would not have a bigger one, I used to trampoline as quite a serious competitior at school (won a few medals in the county's :blush: ) and it really scares me that people let their children loose on what is potentially very dangerous equipment with no proper training. ( not implying for a second that is what minders on here do but I have seen it happen in a lot of homes)
I know the garden variety is not quite the same standard as a competition trampoline but the dangers are the same, it only takes one awkward landing or a slip and that's a broken ankle or spine, and you don't have to be doing somersaults for that to happen.
Sorry, don't mean to sound like the harbinger of doom as they can be fun but please please please go and have a few training sessions at a local sports centre and don't let more than one on at a time, someone's teeth going into someone else's head or face is not a pretty sight :(

mummyof3
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Last summer I spent the whole time looking like cruella deville banning all under 6s on the trampoline. Listened to the 'we go on it at home' then their mum and dad moaning at me to stop being silly :eek:

Then the two :censored: mindees I look after ripped the zip on the enclosure and swing and pull on the netting and broke it so after that NO I will not be replacing it and my poor children are devastated :(

It was dismantled 2wks ago and you know what - not ONE of the mindees have even asked where it is :rolleyes: