PDA

View Full Version : Self-reflection

Tatia
27-04-2008, 08:30 AM
This thread was inspired by Rach's thread "Don't panic all" about her EYFS training.:)

As we all know, self-reflection is a new catch phrase and incredibly important under EYFS. I think filling out the self-eval form before your inspection is just not going to be enough any longer. So I just thought we could toss ideas at each other about ways to be (and prove) that we are self-reflective practititioners.

For starters, I keep a sort of journal where I note down things I need to improve, more resources I need, contracts coming up for renewal, trainings I want to attend, that sort of thing. It's more of an ongoing list (I like lists). Second, I ave added a space in my observation forms for evaluation so I can say how the activity went, was it successful, did the children enjoy themselves, was there anythng I could have done better or differently, that sort of thing.

And more than anything, I think self-reflection is about stopping a moment to think "what's it like for a child here in my setting". Are your greetings warm and welcoming, is there enough to do, is there too much to do, is it relaxed and loving, is it rushed and they don't have time to complete projects cos you have to leave for school, are the tables and chairs easily accessible, are resources at eye-level so child can choose, are there paints or crayons that reflect everyone's skin tone. This is the sort of thing I think about but do not necassarily document on a regular basis. I think I may actually pad my journal out and make it less about a to-do list and more self-reflective (which it was meant to be in the first place).

What does self-reflection mean to you and how do you document it within your setting?

crazybones
27-04-2008, 08:44 AM
This might sound like a waffle but I am using your thread as a self-reflection at this moment in time. :D I feel at the moment I am about to start a real new phase in my childminding life. Mindee aged 2 leaves to emigrate in June/July, mindee aged 4 leaves to start school in September and my 3 after schoolers start secondary school in September too. Therefore come September I will have all new mindees (fingers crossed). EYFS starts in September. William starts playschool in September and Jamie starts secondary school in September. It is my birthday in September. (Can you see a theme here!) I have spent a lot of time and money since the start of the year on resources, my inspection and my website. I have also found this wonderful forum which has totally inspired me along with meeting wonderful supportive new friends and given me great ideas. I have started to enjoy my job again. :o I have booked quite a few courses and training sessions and I am seriously considering doing an NVQ (watch out if I do - you will all be pestered). I do have a feeling I am entering a new stage in my life after the last 3 crappy years losing my parents and BIL and some PND after Will's birth. I am looking forward to this and I feel like a cloud of fuzz has lifted from my head. :D

Tatia
27-04-2008, 08:53 AM
You know what, Annie, I can totally identify. When I first moved here, I was pregnant and very ill. I had left behind my family, my friends, my career and even my little doggy to move across the sea. Not to mention it was January (so grey and awful). I lived in a metaphorical cave for the first year. Even after my DD was born, when I was even more sick, it just got worse (PND here as well). But I booked myself onto ICP course and I can honestly say it's because of childminding that my life is so rich and rewarding nowadays. I made good friends, I started doing volunteer work and getting active in the community, I've started Uni again. So I know where you are coming from, sistah.:D

sarah707
27-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Self reflection for me is about asking ... what can I do better to enhance each child's experience with me...? How have I succeeded or failed to add something good to each child's life today...? What am I doing well and what can I improve?

It will also be very very important under eyfs to have a clear understanding of your strengths and weaknesses and successes and failures if you are to make the SEF (Self Evaluation Form) work for you... :D

Pauline
27-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Annie your post bought tears to my eyes, seriously, it is a moving description of how things were and how you are ready to move on.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I look forward to being part of the future you are now looking forward to.

Your inner strength shines through in your post :)

crazybones
27-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Thank you Pauline. I am a strong person who has taken a few knocks lately but this forum and the people on it have helped in a massive way to give me new focus and a kick up the bum. I wont name names but they know who they are. Sorry Tatia for hijacking your thread:blush:

Tatia
27-04-2008, 03:32 PM
No apologies, darlin'. It's all about self-reflection and growing!

Twinkles
27-04-2008, 03:38 PM
When I had my inspection 18m ago I didn't fill out the form as such.
I took each question and answered it essay style saying what practises I followed and why and how this enabled me to meet the standards.
The inspector was very impressed with this and took it away with her to show her colleagues.

donnahay0
27-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Tatia, this was a great thread to start. I think the introduction of the EYFS might have been seen as a great deal of paperwork and a bit of a pain in the butt. However, it has inspired me to stand back and take a really good look at my business as a whole with new eyes which can only be a good thing really.

Annie, I am so glad to hear of your positive outlook on the new phase in your life you are about to enter. Wishing you every happiness & success in your future.

Tatia
28-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Twinkles, that is a fantastic idea!

Donna, I've done the same tihng, taken a big step back and had a good look at my setting and practices. We just need to be able to show that to OFSTED!:D