PDA

View Full Version : Chickens in council/trust house

lma
25-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Just wondering if any of you knowledgable people will be able to shed some light on the ins and outs of getting chickens.

I have looked into the equipment and the chickens and have even started updating my policies to include chickens e.g. hygiene policy, petting policy, etc but before I take the plunge and buy anything I wanted to know if there are any childminders out there who have chickens but do not own their home, more along the lines of do I need to ask permission to keep them from the council???

I have scouted the internet and some sites have chickens listed as a 'domestic' animal so if this is the case then if I am ok to have a cat, dog, etc I should be ok to have chickens????

I live in the north east area so if there are any childminders in this area who are in the know how about this then please please get intouch. The more I think about it the more I really want to get them but just dont want to get into trouble for it:panic: My garden is really large so space isnt a problem.

Thanks

aly
25-04-2011, 04:06 PM
my local council are ok with this....not too sure about roosters for obvious reasons so guess you would need to contact local authority to check on who rents the house as that could be restrictive.

Hebs
25-04-2011, 04:20 PM
where abouts in the north east are you?

South Tyneside are fine about a small number of chicks, thinking about it myself as we have been hatching chicks over easter and i have until thursday to decide if i want to keep them :panic:

onceinabluemoon
25-04-2011, 04:21 PM
The local housing association definitely has a no chickens rule as does the local council (this became apparent when Hugh FW did his Chicken Run thing - we live near him and the council tenants had to keep them on an allotment if I remember rightly). I am not sure a chicken would count as a domestic pet either, I think that's more your cat, dog, rabbit etc...

Best thing would be to ring up your landlord and check. :)

christine e
25-04-2011, 11:06 PM
My house deeds say 'no pigs, poultry or pidgeons'

Cx

birch24
26-04-2011, 08:34 PM
My house deeds say 'no pigs, poultry or pidgeons'

Cx

My deeds say that too. I have five bantams:D :D

I also know of at least 2 of my neighbours who have chickens too. The deeds are so old who is going to enforce it. I rang the council and they said it was nothing to do with them.:D