PDA

View Full Version : older child minders?

jadavi
25-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi I am 57 and just about to enter this profession - very excited and have been assured by my local EY manager that I'm a 'natural' (4 chilldren grown up now)
My question is 2 fold re age.
1) Does it put people off to have a CM who could be a granny?
2) What about the energy needed? Do any older child minders find it is exhausting compared to when they were bringing up their own family. Do you have to make adjustments? It just occurred to me that if one of my mindees was to make a dash for the road I probably wouldn't be quick enough to catch him... Also was the sudden noise level a real shock too when starting afresh? I've been around adults for years now. My 18 yo daughter has recently returned from working with a young family and says, despite loving it, she was shocked at how loud it was and how I'll have to get used to that.....

I did post this before but had no answers so am asking again as this is one of my biggest worries.

jacxx

sarah707
25-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Noise can be as loud as you make it... you have the advantage of working in your house so you make your rules.

I used to look after a couple of children who were very noisy at home / with their parents but they learned with me that there is a time and a place to shriek and dash about... at the park!

In the house they learned to be much calmer because I dealt with them in a quiet voice (so they had to stop to listen) and I expected them to speak to each other reasonably and quietly rather than pushing, shoving and shouting.

I think if your expectations are clear and you are naturally a calm, quietly spoken person you will be fine.

As for children dashing off - if you are concerned use reins or wrist straps. When you write your risk assessments you will need to think about how you keep children safe on outings and part of that is considering whether they might run away.

Plus you will be doing lots of road safety learning with children during your daily activities so they will understand the need to be safe from an early age.

I hope you are reassured! :D

christine e
25-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Whilst I think it is fair to say that some parents are looking for younger childminders equally some are looking for older childminders. The thing about childminding is that you can stick with one or two children if you prefer or go the whole hog and have six, the more children you have the noisier it tends to be.

Good luck from a 52 year old who has been childminding for 20 years and has always been a busy childminder:thumbsup:

Cx

karensmart4
25-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm 54 and have been in childcare for 27 years 9 of those years in childminding, no one has ever commented on my age!

I now work with a co minder and an assistant, we are accredited and deliver nursery education....... you do as little or as much as you like.

While my husband sometimes wishes I worked away from our home, I love it and wouldn't want to do anything else.

Some days it feels as if the noise level is high (we have a naturally loud girl and it rubs off on who she is playing with) but you get used to it :D

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new venture.

Karen :)

PixiePetal
25-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I am 46 and like Sarah, mindees soon learn in my home we don't shout and scream - that is for the garden (no neighbours!) or parks.

I work 3 days a week at the moment and am busy on those days but not up to the full 6 children - I pick and choose who to mind based on how they will fit in with other children and how I will enjoy my days :)

My age has not put people off - when I started out I was younger than a lot of parents, now I am certainly older :laughing:

Age is a number, with it comes experience :thumbsup:

jadavi
25-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Thank you. Very helpful. Appreciate the input.

I am a believer in letting children be themselves as much as possible so may have trouble shushing them but I will have to - to a certain extent as will have retired hubby and aged mum upstairs.... Luckily I live mid town and have briliiant play facilities and zoo very close etc so my idea would be to take them out a lot. I also love going to organised toddler /play groups too. altho /nursery school pick up times will prob interfere with that a bit in term time.

I will also have trouble turning kids down and being selective as I'll be scared I won't get enough....(Not working on a Friday) but the plan is to start with one family and slowly expand.

Am delighted today as have been chosen on freecycle to get loads of children's equipment games etc. Holding out for a double buggy which is rare but I've learned you can get everything on freecycle if you wait....

Thanks again,
jac x

Heaven Scent
25-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I am an almost 50 year old and I agree with the others the children soon learn what is acceptable behaviour in your home. (I find handcuffing them to chairs and gagging them works wonders LOL!!!) - really if you are quiet and calm they will be too and if they don't get the subtle hint you will just have to explain what is acceptable to them - ask them to think about how everyone else is behaving or if mummy and daddy run around shouting and climbing on the furniture at home and they will usually look up at you quite seriously and thoughtful and say NO!! then ask them why they are doing it at your house then - they won't know - then ask how they would feel if you go to their house tonight and run about shouting and climbing on things and they'll say they wouldn't like it (well they will if there are any sort of rules and regs at home). With some children it takes a while for the penny to drop but you just need to keep on top of it even if it means that a serial offender will have to have time out to think about their actions and the impact of them on others but it does eventually all fall into place. - All the very best!!!

teacake2
25-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I am 57 this year and have been minding for 27 years, I have found lately that the parents quite like having an older minder and as I don't have any grandchildren of my own my mindees are all my grandchildren. It can be tiring especially with 3 boys who are all nearly 3 and going through a stage where they want my individual attention all the time, but it is also great fun, I have had 2 of them since babies.
The main thing to remember is to have fun with them but also know your own limitations and don't go climbing too many trees all the time:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

nannysue
25-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I turned 60 two weeks ago and have been childminding for 31 yrs !!!! :eek: My age has never been an issue when talking to prospective parents, in fact a lot have said they like the fact that i'm older with a wealth of experience also some children do not have their grandparents around so i'm like a surragate "nanny" to a few !!

Yes my energy levels may not be as they were and some days i'm really tired ( i do 11 hrs some days ) but on the whole its fine . In my head i still think i'm in my 30s anyway, and intend to be doing this for a few more yrs yet!

I'm sure you will be fine.... if the children know the boundries from the start they will soon adapt, and you can choose how busy you want to be, so go at your own pace. Good Luck :thumbsup:

funemnx
25-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I turned 50 last year and am mum to 4 grown-ups and nana to 3. I've been childminding for 12 years now and wouldn't change a thing (except the paperwork!!!!)

Yes it can get busy (I find it difficult to say no). I find most of my parents are happy that I'm older - more of a nana to the children. No I don't have the energy I once did. I take the little ones to toddlers/park in the mornings and they have a nap/quiet time in the afternoons before the school run. |Before I know it another day is over!

Good luck in your new venture - I know you'll love it! xx

onceinabluemoon
25-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm an older childminder (51) and nobody seems to be put off.

I think it depends on how fit and active you are rather than how old you are.

Susana0600
25-04-2011, 04:19 PM
This thread is sooo nice and very encouraging, :thumbsup:

jep
25-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi there, I'm and oldie as well lol..... i only started a year ago and love it. I must admit though there are some days when i feel my age, but i would be feeling that in any job i did i suppose. When i feel like that i just remind myself what a great time i'm having being my own boss... if i feel like doing something with the children i do it, no questions asked. Like if its a lovely sunny day we will pack up the buckets and spades( and everything else) and head off to the beach! or a park or the woods to feed the ducks, or anywhere else that takes my fancy lol.now what other job can you do that! So i would say go for it but also keep your numbers low so that its less stressful. I often get asked if i'm the grannie and i'm proud to say "no i'm the childminder":)

janminder
25-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi, I am 54 and have been minding for 27 years. I have been told before that I was chosen because I am a 'mature' childminder. I can't run as fast as when I started but can still manage to keep up with the little ones and play run around games. I enjoy childminding and hope to continue for many years yet and have just passed my NVQ3 in Childcare, Learning and Development.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it and have lots of fun.

brightstar
26-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm 47, and people often mistake me for the childrens mammy. Probably because I'm never still long enough for them to get a good look lol.
Good luck with your registration and enjoy your new carreer :)

jadavi
26-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone. :) very reassuring indeed!

Chatterbox Childcare
26-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I think that being older usually means that your own children are older and this has its advantages:

My own children are able to help out (my son is an assistant and my daughter works for me after school)

I don't have time off for school production, parent days etc

I don't have time off to look after my own children due to sickness - you may have a problem with the other elderly people in your house and may need to have a back up plan for this

Holidays can be taken anytime

Am willing to work bank holidays and longer hours as I don't have to fit into "my own family" routine time (no offence to those who do)

It is a great rewarding profession and you do need time at weekends/evenings for paperwork and this is also a positive with older children as you have the time to commit to it

You won't regret it.

Focus on the positives you can offer when parents come to see you, be assertive and confident and they will love you

mabel
26-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I am nearly 50, this job keeps you young I think and 3 of my mums, are my age with a 2yr old, 3yr old and 4 yrd old so all 4 of us are 49 and they seem glad to have a minder my age, I think because our children have grown up we can offer different experiences in childcare, good luck and I hope you enjoy your new career choice

jadavi
27-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Thank you everyone for the support. I feel much more prepared and reassured now. I have changed my work days so I can attend a local toddler group and volunteer at a 3 hour session of a nursery so I should be well trained by autumn!
Is there anyone on this forum who came to child minding in their 50s? Most of the people of my age who answered this original post had been doing it for years....

cheers
jac x