PDA

View Full Version : after school club and tax credits

phoenix2010
24-04-2011, 10:26 PM
im in a funny situation where i will be picking a mindee up from school , meaning i cant collect my own son

i am looking at him going to the after school club at his school , just for 30 to 45 minutes to give me time to get there

this will cost £36 per week , would i be able to claim for this or would tax credits say that as im a self employed childminder i cant claim for childcare

i dont want to turn this work down which is worth £85 per week to me as i will also be caring for the mindees younger sibling

hope someone knows the answer

Francesca
24-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I actually did the same a couple of years back, and yes I could claim, but I still had to count my child into my numbers.

Francesca

tulip0803
24-04-2011, 10:54 PM
In theory, depending on the household income, you should be able to claim in the same way that a childminder with a pre-school child can claim nursery fees if they use them. Give them a ring and see as you are legitimately using childcare as you are working and cannot collect him from school the same as any other working parent.

phoenix2010
25-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Thankyou
Ive claimed childcare credit before but as a student , never as self employed
I have to ring them tomoro anyway so will ask them but wanted to see if others had done this before and if it was possible :)

aly
25-04-2011, 01:05 PM
yes of course you can...

Zoomie
25-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Last year my DD went to another childminder for 1 day a week for a period of 8 months.

I claimed tax credits (ie I told them I was using rgistered childcare) but don't think it made any difference to the amount I got. Granted it was only £26 a week for term time only, so averaged out at about £18 a week, I think.