PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got a sand picnic bench?

Cazz
23-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking of buying one instead of my plastic sand pit which I've discovered is definetly not watertight and the children always want to sit in it which means sand coming inside into the playroom.

If anybody has got one of the picnic benches do you recommend them?

Can young children reach the sand to play?

Is it watertight when you have the lid on?

I'm looking at a Plum one as the sand goes the length of the table rather than the Argos one which seems to be across the middle width ways.

Thanks for any help!

ZoeAlli
23-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I have just looked at both the mentioned tables and they both look the same/ similar.
I got the one from argos (I think) a couple of years ago- not for sand but as an outdoor art table, with the idea to store pens, pencils, paper & crayons in the table.It opens and stores sand the same way as the plum one.
It was waterproof at first, however with swell & shrink the top became a little distorted and is no longer waterproof. My children took the lid off the table earlier this year to find rotten paper (due to it getting wet) and slugs etc living in it :(
It is also has a bit of movement to it, but is still safe.
WORD OF WARNING! If you allow the children to all sit on one side first before the other, the table will tip, the same as when they get up from the table make sure it is done evenly!
I do like the table but for me it works better as a picnic/ art table, to get four children playing in it does not give them alot of room, certainly not the same as a plastic sandpit.
hth
:)

Mouse
23-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I've got this one, but wouldn't recommend it (I think it's the Plum one)

http://www.hamleys.com/Sand_Picnic_Table_%7C_Hamleys_Toys/211326,default,pd.html

The whole thing isn't very sturdy. The bit where you put the sand is very shallow, so the children wouldn't really be able to dig or play much in it as there's so little sand. The lid warps very quickly in sun or rain, so isn't a very good fit. You can't even use it as a flat surface for craft etc as it's so uneven. I didn't ever bother to put sand in it, but the inside still ended up full of bugs & spiders :panic:

It's not even that good as a picnic table, so I'd not bother if I were you.

onceinabluemoon
23-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Not a sand picnic table as such but I have this (http://www.step2uk.com/prodpage.asp?productid=414) which I've never had any oprobs with and is perfectly watertight. x

aunt sally
23-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Not a sand picnic table as such but I have this (http://www.step2uk.com/prodpage.asp?productid=414) which I've never had any oprobs with and is perfectly watertight. x

I have the same one as this. We've had it for 7 years. It's a fab sand and/or water table. It's still water tight after all this time and very easy to clean. I also have the matching picnic table which is great for outdoor craft and snacks.

mushpea
23-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I use my tuff spot with stand for sand play, its very sturdy and we put all sorts in it,, this week they are having sand with a plastic castle and knight and princess figure for the royal wedding.

Cazz
23-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Well I'm glad I asked!

Doesn't seem as though the picnic benches are worth the money!

I'll have to have a re-think! Thanks everyone :thumbsup: