PDA

View Full Version : I passed my First Aid ... but have a few questions.

button68
26-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm pleased to report that after all my worrying I passes the First Aid - went abit wobbley on Sickle Cell but managed to claw it back ;)

Whilst on the course a few queries 'popped' into my head so I'm going to run them by you.

1. I know we fill in our accident book and get parents to sign but if a mindee gets a bumped head do you also give out a 'Bumped Head Letter' (like at schools) giving details of the accident and signs to look out for when the child is in the parents care, iykwim

2. I have a mindee with mild asthma and parents have given me a 'puffa' and shown me how to use it. Should I have a separate permission form for this? In my Medication Policy I say that I will give asthma medication (with training) if required - and the parents have signed/agreed to this policy but should I also have a Permission form just for this inhaler?

3. Do any of you give parents cards to carry to say something like "If I am involved in an accident my child is with Childminder XXXX and can be contacted on this number XXXXX" (that sounds messy but you get my gist :rolleyes: )

sarah707
26-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm pleased to report that after all my worrying I passes the First Aid - went abit wobbley on Sickle Cell but managed to claw it back ;)

Whilst on the course a few queries 'popped' into my head so I'm going to run them by you.

1. I know we fill in our accident book and get parents to sign but if a mindee gets a bumped head do you also give out a 'Bumped Head Letter' (like at schools) giving details of the accident and signs to look out for when the child is in the parents care, iykwim

Up to you... might look nice in your files... I have one but I've never used it!

2. I have a mindee with mild asthma and parents have given me a 'puffa' and shown me how to use it. Should I have a separate permission form for this? In my Medication Policy I say that I will give asthma medication (with training) if required - and the parents have signed/agreed to this policy but should I also have a Permission form just for this inhaler?

Well with eyfs you will need a daily permission to give and a daily signature when given... no 'keeping meds just in case'. That is what the rules say now... we are hoping they might be slightly better worded with the revisions.
At the moment, you are ok with a general permission, so long as parents sign to say they know you have given it...

3. Do any of you give parents cards to carry to say something like "If I am involved in an accident my child is with Childminder XXXX and can be contacted on this number XXXXX" (that sounds messy but you get my gist :rolleyes: )

Some people do... there are some on Bromley

Congratulations!!!! :clapping:

miffy
26-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes I have a head bump letter - have had one since a minder in the village was given that as her recommendation by Ofsted

The NCMA accident/incident and medication record book has a section for "permission to administer medicine or treatment over an extended period of time or continuous treatment/therapies eg treating asthma" - agree with Sarah though this is set to change under EYFS

No don't give parents cards like that - although I carry something with emergency numbers on explaining that I am a childminder and the children who are with me may not be my own................think giving parents the cards is a good idea so may add that to the job list

HTH

miffy xx

Rach30
26-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Helllooooo , I have got bumped head letters . Concusion can set in hours later so i just like to give the parents the signs of it just incase (they prob throw it away but hey :rolleyes: ) . Think i got mine from bromley then adapted it by putting a Mr. Bump boarder round it. :D

button68
26-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Helllooooo , I have got bumped head letters . Concusion can set in hours later so i just like to give the parents the signs of it just incase (they prob throw it away but hey :rolleyes: ) . Think i got mine from bromley then adapted it by putting a Mr. Bump boarder round it. :D

:doh: Bromley ............. I should have known!!

Blaze
26-04-2008, 08:35 PM

1. I know we fill in our accident book and get parents to sign but if a mindee gets a bumped head do you also give out a 'Bumped Head Letter' (like at schools) giving details of the accident and signs to look out for when the child is in the parents care, iykwim Yes!

2. I have a mindee with mild asthma and parents have given me a 'puffa' and shown me how to use it. Should I have a separate permission form for this? In my Medication Policy I say that I will give asthma medication (with training) if required - and the parents have signed/agreed to this policy but should I also have a Permission form just for this inhaler? As already said ok for the moment...but will change with EYFS...NCMA are changing their paperwork in the Summer

3. Do any of you give parents cards to carry to say something like "If I am involved in an accident my child is with Childminder XXXX and can be contacted on this number XXXXX" (that sounds messy but you get my gist :rolleyes: )Yes!

Well done for passing!

miffy
26-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry I forgot to say well done for passing :)

miffy xx

angeldelight
26-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to say well done

Angel xx

nannan
26-04-2008, 09:53 PM
congratulations on passing, well done,
in answer to your questions,
1. yes I would give out the information if a child had bumped her/his head verbrally and written so that the parents have a copy of what had happened if needed to go to the hospital
2. yes I have a separate form for inhalers
3. my parents have a card to say that they children are with a childminder in case of an emergency,

Twinkles
26-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Well done for passing :thumbsup:

crazybones
27-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Well done on passing. :clapping:

mjw
27-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Surrey have produced cards for our parents to have which say their children are with a childminder and a space for phone numbers and I carry a card saying I am a childminder and the children in my care may be minded and this also has space for a few contact numbers.
Mary

Pauline
27-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I get parents to sign when they gave the last dose of any medication, even if they have signed that I can give a puffer when necessary, it just covers you against accidental overdose.

breezy
27-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi, congratulations on passing, I think all your questions have been answered already!!!!!:)

Mollymop
27-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Well done for passing!!

disney
27-04-2008, 12:24 PM
well done on passing , new you could do it :clapping: i dont know about what other minders do but i was told on my last inspection that the answer is yes i do need a head bump letter , &yes to the other two as well . i suppose its better to be extra safe & have every thing covered x