PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me

claire'scherubs
21-04-2011, 01:30 PM
or am I the only one who HATES sand!!!!!

I feel like I am constantly on the beach, sandy feet and hands, and constantly cleaning it up

They use it in the kitchen, use the kitchen equipment to make cakes etc, so water added to

Its transported from the kitchen to the table in the car, even though Ive placed the table next to the sand tray now

And the amount that ends on the floor then disposed off, cause it can't go back in the tray is going to cost me a fortune.

Random question about disposing of the sand........how do we manage the beach sand, can't see that being cleaned weekly:laughing:

muffins
21-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I REALLY REALLY HATE SAND:angry:

So much so that as my sand is so dirty (not been used in a whille) I'm considering getting rid of it instead of replacing it:blush:

Shivvie
21-04-2011, 02:15 PM
:laughing: Hate the stuff! We've got some horrible, dark sand at the moment and I hate that more than I ever thought possible!!! The children love it though so I put up with it for their sake, although I must admit, we do have a few weeks periodically without any :)

onceinabluemoon
21-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I love sand!

My mindees get so much out of it cleaning it up doesnt even begin to register, but we have sand in the garden not in the house so maybe its not such a big deal...

claire'scherubs
21-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I love sand!

My mindees get so much out of it cleaning it up doesnt even begin to register, but we have sand in the garden not in the house so maybe its not such a big deal...

No its not in the house, its in the open covered area, but I still hate it, sorry I must sound a right scrooge I know, but 5 times today, I've cleaned up........I have a 14 month old that loves it too.......in his mouth!!!!! so I am very particular as to where it is

SandCastles
21-04-2011, 02:54 PM
We have had lots of fun sieving the sand and cleaning it today, what I thought would be boring and time consuming, became a laugh as we made it into a treasure hunt game.

We found plastic soilders, pretend jewels with matching necklace, my missing teapot lid, action mens boots, and a sheriffs badge (all lost for a while now)

Ive never really cleaned Sand before, just dumped it and replaced it, but this tread has changed that.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=80500

Today I love SAND

funfunfun
21-04-2011, 02:55 PM
yep !!!

even though its outside it still manages to creep inside and everywhere else :laughing: :laughing:

kids love it though :thumbsup:

handeme
21-04-2011, 02:59 PM
my mindee loves to eat it too, not only sand, mud, flowers, grass you name it he scoffs it :laughing:

c x

ZoeAlli
21-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't like sand!:(
It's not the clear-up or that it gets everywhere, I just don't like the feel of it on my hands or in my feet!!:(
I have it because the children love it, thankfully my two older dd's are happy to sweep up for me, so I don't have much contact with it.
A friend told me to try mixing a little washing up liquid and water with the sand as it changes the feel (haven't tried it yet as I have only just got new sand :blush: ). May try it next week when older children are back to school!

funemnx
21-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I have to limit my sand buying - we only have a small garden and the amount that gets spread around it rather than in the sandpit would raise the level of the garden by a couple of feet a year.... hello down therrrrrre!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Happy Bunny
21-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't like the stuff, I was quite relieved when quite by accident the sand pit broke LOL.

I am trying to buy a little sand tray now so I don't end up with tons of it all over the garden.

alwaysright
21-04-2011, 04:51 PM
oh i hate hate hate sand!! it gets everywere and turns up weeks later......i much prefer gloop-messy but containable-my older ones are into chalk at the moment, i let them cover the outside of the house, walls, fence etc with it then just hose it down.....

merry
21-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I loathe sand and won't have it. We have dry pasta and rice, compost or water to play with, mud and soil to dig, cornflour gloop, anthing but sand :laughing:

:)

breezy
21-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Hate it I have one mindee at the mo that wont stop throwing it and "washing" his hair in it:angry:

Hebs
21-04-2011, 07:07 PM
i dont have sand either

Rmead
21-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't like it either, I used to complain about it when I was little, my parents always remind me that I proclaimed that the beach had too much sand! My sand has gone really dry at the moment, fine for sieving but not good for sand castles but it does mean it falls off everyone very easily :)

mushpea
21-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I tolerate it but have gone through loads this year already cause I keep forgetting to put the lid on when they come in and our cat goes and poops in it!!
I have put some in the tuff spot for next week and am going to put the fisher price castle in it with prince and princess figures and dinosaurs for dragons all for the wedding week.
I dont mind them transporting it and playing with it in the outside toy kitchen but what really annoys me is when they just tip it on the floor for the sake of it or like the other day I told the older ones to keep it in the tuff spot and imediatly they pushed it all to the very edges and pushed a load out so I banned the older ones from playing with it for a while,

Alibali
21-04-2011, 07:32 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: we've had many a conversation about this, I HATE SAND!!!!!, and I know I'm not alone;)

Took my lot to visit a friend yesterday and she had her sand pit out, when we got back home my dd (18yo) picked up the little one and threw her in the air, only to be met with a face full of sand from where ever the pesky stuff was hiding, then it got on the floor and then on MY FEET :panic: :panic:

Chimps Childminding
21-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I had bought one of the big wooden sand pits that the children can get in, then thought about it and realised it would get everywhere :eek: so I use a small sand table on legs instead.

Just wish one particular mindee would play with the sand in the sand table, but she takes it in the wendy house, on the slide, picnic table etc etc even though everytime I take the lid off I say "play with it IN the sand pit" :angry:

She leaves in July and I am seriously thinking about empting it out and putting it away until she has left :(

I HATE sand :angry: :angry:

Cazz
23-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't like it much either but kids seem to love it so I tolerate it!

I've actually just started a thread asking if anyone's got a picnic bench with a panel you slide off with sand underneath. I'm considering buying one so that I can get rid of the plastic sand pit which they always want to climb in and then bring half the contents into the carpeted playroom!

MaryMary
24-04-2011, 09:11 PM
It's like dull, gritty glitter....it gets EVERYWHERE!!! :laughing:

My old cm used to love taking my dd to the beach when she was about 18mo as she would put her on a towel and she wouldn't move!! :D She didn't like the feel of it, and wouldn't walk on it, even in shoes :panic: She is 19 now, and still doesn't like it much :laughing:

miffy
24-04-2011, 09:18 PM
My old cm used to love taking my dd to the beach when she was about 18mo as she would put her on a towel and she wouldn't move!! :D She didn't like the feel of it, and wouldn't walk on it, even in shoes :panic: She is 19 now, and still doesn't like it much :laughing:

Sounds like me! I can stand it on my hands but hate it anywhere near my feet :panic:

Miffy xx

claire'scherubs
24-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I am sooooo relieved I am not the only one!!!!!!

Yes the kids love it, but I am seriously going to have to restrict access because it is sending me potty!!!!!

Tuff spot with a small amount in at a time sounds like a plan:D

The Juggler
24-04-2011, 09:58 PM
i hate that it gets everywhere but the kids get so much out of it I wouldn't dream of getting rid.

I am not bothered about 'cleaning' it other than ensuring it's safe from bird/cat poo as, as you say, beach sand doesn't get cleaned :rolleyes: