PDA

View Full Version : tree climbing...

gegele
21-04-2011, 08:40 AM
...where do we stand?

i spoke with a friend childminder who has a few adventurous boy who are happy climbing tree. she said someone made a remark that it wouldn't be aloud as too risky.

in my opinion children needs to be kids and we can't say they don't know how to play unless they have a computer and stop them from playing outdoor at the same time!!!!

as long as kids have adequate clothing, and follow their own limit is there really a problem??
isn't that what we are suppose to teach them??

babs
21-04-2011, 08:46 AM
climbing a tree or climbing frame or slide at the park all same to me as long as they are doing it safely whats the problem risk assess and away they go .... i use to climb trees when i was younger and if i couldnt get to the top i just went up till i did...:eek: :eek: to many things put in the way these days let children be children and enjoy growing up without computers or tv screens.... ive got lo just 12 months old been walking since he was 8 months and now goes up and down my slide gives me heart attack everyday but he enjoys it and now sits down at top instead of running down it :eek: they have to learn and sometimes they learn by doing things wrong bit next time will do it right they have to take risks evey day when they are learning...

caz3007
21-04-2011, 08:47 AM
My over 8's have climbed trees over the park and one did get stuck....and it was a what on earth do I do moment. I talked him down and then got him to swing down and I helped lift him down. They used to go to the park on their own (not when they were with me obviously) and they used to climb on the old derelict church building apparently.

I think its a case of being careful and supervised and seems a shame if they arent able to

FussyElmo
21-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Well Im in trouble then because I encourage mine to climb trees. In fact on one of the ways home a tree has fallen over and its the most asked for activity :D

caz3007
21-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Its part of growing up surely. But do wonder where we stand if an accident occurs though. The particular mum whose children liked climbing the trees always had the attitude if an accident happens, then it happens, you can only do her best. Her children often had broken arms (luckily never with me :laughing: )

Dragonfly
21-04-2011, 06:04 PM
It is part of being a child and as long as the parents dont object then let them.I have a girl mindee 13 years old this year and it is one of her favorite things, been doing it today, better than being indoors on a lovely day like today.

sarah sunflower
21-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I have one parent who does NOT want her 11 year old son to climb trees but another mother doesn't mind if her 9 year old does.
I'm finding it very difficult as to what to do? do i say yes to the one who is allowed but the other boy is moaning at me that its not fair that hes not allowed to?
Or do I say no to both of them and not allow them to climb trees at all?

i am always there when they climb and personally I agree that as long as they know their limits kids should be kids and have a bit of risk. After al kids learn from risks yes?

sarah

breezy
21-04-2011, 07:00 PM
We regularly go on forest walks and climb trees, so far ds is the only one who's fallen and that was straight after boasting he was the best tree climber so serves him right:laughing:

mushpea
21-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I let mine as long as they are not doing the tree serious damage,, My own two are older and climbed up a tree the other day,, mindee tried to follow but all he succeded in doing is bending a younger branch down and almost broke it cause his legs werent long enough to get to the part where my two used to climb up,, in this instant I told him hecouldnt climb becuase not only was he gonna damage the tree but could also hurt himself

Donkey
21-04-2011, 09:28 PM
check with your insurer before you let children climb trees as the trees have not been eu toy tested approved so you might not be covered
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no but on a serious note this question needs asking to our pli providers............ question is though, would we all get a different answer?