PDA

View Full Version : nightmare sleeper

handeme
21-04-2011, 08:23 AM
what do all do about mindees that are nightmare sleepers?

i have a mindee who is 1 and is a total nightmare to get to sleep, if i am on school run and he is tired he is fab goes to sleep no problem.

his mum herself admits that he is a nightmare sleeper and can spend 40 mins during the day cuddling and rocking him to sleep, this is something i dont have time to do with another 1 year old and 4 year old to care for.

any suggestions?

c x

babs
21-04-2011, 08:36 AM
lo i have use to be like this rocked in car seat ( not here but at home and last cm'd) at 1st i would spend 45 minutes trying to get him to sleep now just wait till hes tried then put him down in buggy with a bottle goes off no problem at all and does not need rocking at home any more just takes little patience till they get use to not needing u around to go to sleep .. when he 1st started i use to put him in buggy and push it while watching others in play room or garden etc and just shortened the time i rocked till its now not at all sometimes he still wakes and crys but a gentle rock from side to side and off he goes no where near like what it was when he came to me and now he sleeps though the other children banging and playing.... i know you dont have time while you have others but try pram and keep lo close... while we have been off on school hols hes gone down in travel cot too upstairs...

aunt sally
21-04-2011, 08:43 AM
You could find out from his mum if she plays any particular music to him at bedtime and then use the same cd at your house for nap time . The Lo I have at the moment is 14 months and she's been with me for 4 months. I too had to rock her in the beginning like her mum did but I only did this for the initial settling in part. Mum plays classical music to her at bedtime so she brought the music round for me. I now put it on , read a quiet story to Lo and then put her in the cot. She is now really settled at nap time and happily goes to sleep. It only took a few weeks to get sorted and I don't need to rock her anymore.

cupcake22
21-04-2011, 08:50 AM
i have had nightmare sleepers and its normaly bad habits from parents that have caused it. I put mine in the travel cot and if they cry I just keep going back in re assuring and lay them back down and keep doing this until they go to sleep. Normally within a week it is sorted however when i tell parents that they say he/she still wont sleep for me. I had one once that had only slept in parents bed and was still doing so when she left me aged nearly three. She took great delight in telling them that she slept on her own in her own bed at my house. Hope this helps.

cupcake22

handeme
21-04-2011, 09:12 AM
he is a fab night time sleeper goes down wide awake and settles himself, no rocking or music just with his dummy

he is an only child so mummy and daddy sit with him in front of the tv and rock him until he sleeps. i have managed to get him off wanting the tv on its just nap times, if it was my own i would lay him in his cot, reassure him until he'd settled but was unsure whether to do this with a mindee

c x

aunt sally
21-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I would try putting him in the cot and reasurring him, its definitely worth a try even if it takes a couple of weeks. The reassurance part will get shorter and shorter. Good luck.