PDA

View Full Version : Phone enquiries - Do you have a list of things you tell parents over the phone?

Haddock
20-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry if this has been done already!

I've had a couple of enquiries on the phone recently and haven't heard from either since. I know this is probably quite normal but I'm wondering what I could say over the phone to persuade the family to come and meet me?!

caz3007
20-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I always assume that if they have rung me and I have space that they will visit. Its always just happened that way. Only ever had one person visit and then not use my setting and thats because she was looking for something that was more like a nursery but not, ifykwim

bonkers betty
20-04-2011, 09:03 PM
All I do is try to sell myself the best i can. I neve discuss price on the phone I always say its negotiable and then give them my brochure when they come for coffee. You wouldnt book a nursery without visiting first. Get them in the door first.!!!

Haddock
20-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Nearly all of the children have come through word of mouth so I don't often have to promote the service I offer - which is why I'm not very good at it!

There are a lot of childminders in my area with more and more registering by the minute so I need to up my game a bit!

Chimps Childminding
20-04-2011, 09:41 PM
]Nearly all of the children have come through word of mouth so I don't often have to promote the service I offer - which is why I'm not very good at it![/COLOR]There are a lot of childminders in my area with more and more registering by the minute so I need to up my game a bit!

Same here and they I get caught off guard and end up waffling :blush: I usually ask what they are looking for as in days/hours etc. age of child, when they are looking to start, and then sometimes arrange for them to come and see me. Other times (especially if hours are a bit odd or if I don't have some of the days they are looking for), I ask if I can take a number and give them a call back once the children have gone home (assuming they ring while lo's are here). I can then speak to June (cm next door - as we can sometimes work things out between us, as we share some of our children).

Haddock
20-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes, I waffle a lot!! I think asking for their number and calling them back is a great idea because it'll give me time to think about what I want to say!

Sounds lovely to have another CM next door to share children!

Chimps Childminding
20-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, I waffle a lot!! I think asking for their number and calling them back is a great idea because it'll give me time to think about what I want to say!

Sounds lovely to have another CM next door to share children!
To be honest I couldn't do it if June wasn't next door. It is great to have someone to have an adult conversation with, share resources, equipment, ideas etc. and we do our paperwork etc together - she is good at ideas, and I can find my way (eventually) around a computer, so we make a good team.

All our parents are happy for either of us to look after the children if one of us is off (if we have space obviously) and for a some of our parents when neither of us had space on all the days they wanted, the were happy for us to share the care of the child/children. It sometimes works out that when a space becomes available one of us take the child on completely, but at the moment we have 3 families where we share care, and it works really well and parents are more than happy!

caz3007
21-04-2011, 06:22 AM
[/COLOR]

All our parents are happy for either of us to look after the children if one of us is off (if we have space obviously) and for a some of our parents when neither of us had space on all the days they wanted, the were happy for us to share the care of the child/children. It sometimes works out that when a space becomes available one of us take the child on completely, but at the moment we have 3 families where we share care, and it works really well and parents are more than happy!

I have visions of you passing LO X over the fence as your LO Y is coming in a minute and X needs to go next door to make space for Y :laughing: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
21-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I have visions of you passing LO X over the fence as your LO Y is coming in a minute and X needs to go next door to make space for Y :laughing: :laughing:

:eek: No its ok we have a gate between us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
22-04-2011, 08:10 PM
No, I ask them what they need and see if I can do it, then I invite them around to meet me and see the setting and we go from there.

Cazz
22-04-2011, 09:45 PM
:eek: No its ok we have a gate between us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I've seen you mentioned June many times before and assumed that you both worked together in one house - I didn't realise you lived next door to each other. Sounds ideal!!

Getting back to the thread - I tend to waffle on the phone as well and tell them things that I should probably leave until they visit. I keep meaning to make myself a checklist to keep near the phone so that I give them the right information and not too much. I will do it when I get a chance!