PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission if I have more than 6 children?

Michelle M
20-04-2011, 11:31 AM
HI

I had an email from my local authority saying that we have to inform our local Planning Department if we have more than 6 children attending our premises at any one time, has anyone else heard or had to do this? I have 8 children today but its only School holidays I have more children.

It all came from Ofsted telling one childminder that she had to go through planning because she wanted 11 children (not in EYs) in the School Holidays, since then she has been in touch with our local council and we have had an email, its will cost us £300 or so to register as "other use" :eek:

Shell x

Penny1959
20-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes this is the case in my area - and in many other areas.

More than six mindees - of any age and you have to apply for planning permission

Penny :)

Pipsqueak
20-04-2011, 11:41 AM
but according to (my local) NCMA they 'smoothed' all this over with LA's. This happened to my friend who lived in a small village and the parish council got snitty and kicked up a fuss with local council - ended with NCMA and CDO's going into bat for the minder.... and so on....

I would contact NCMA and get their advice (and support) on it.

Penny1959
20-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Interesting Pipsqueak

I have had a look on NCMA website - and it says about meeting needs for local childcare and working with early years team but also recommends contacting local planning department.

As the OP had letter from her local authority I am guessing that they have more 'local' knowledge about childcare needs and local planning.

Not saying should not check out situation with both NCMA and early years but in case reffering to - it could have been a case of meeting childcare needs as was a village location.

I would be interested in hearing feedback from OP (Michelle) as to what happens.

Penny :)

BlondeMoment
20-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I've never heard anything about this :panic:
So if I ever have more than 6 children in my house I have to get "planning permission"? What??? What for?:eek:

gigglinggoblin
20-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes we have to have change of use pp for more thasn 6 under 14s under my supervision at one time including my own kids and their friends. I havent heard of it being enforced in my area but I'm sure they could if they wanted.

I guess its because you are using the house as more of a nursery and that will involve additional cars coming and going, more noise for neighbours etc. It might be irritiating but I understand why the rule is there.

youarewhatyoueat
20-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I seem to remember being told it was also an insurance issue as with extra children and no pp the public liability and household insurance wan't valid, but I expect it depends on individual insurance policies so worth checking.

Michelle M
20-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I got a copy sent to me again after me losing it:

Dear Childminders

We have recently been asked to seek some advice and guidance on behalf of childminders who work with a childminding assistant and childminders who work together at one property.

The advice from Derby City Council Planning Department is:

o Childminders who wish to work together or with a childminding assistant should, when applying for the variation to OFSTED, also seek advice from the Planning Department. It is likely that the childminder/s will need to apply for a ‘Change of Use’ planning application. This also applies if 6 or more children will be attending the premises.

o Childminders who already work together or employ an assistant should have already addressed this issue with the Planning Department. However if the Planning Department has not been contacted you can still telephone them to discuss your personal situation. The Planning Department has suggested that it is best to regularise the situation but that if no complaints have been received the activity would appear reasonable in the location.

The Planning Department is very approachable and happy to discuss childminder’s individual circumstances. They can be contacted on 01332 255935 or by talking to their duty officer between 10am and 4pm every weekday at Roman House where they will be able to give you advice and support that you may need.

Please be aware that if the Planning Department requested information on the services delivered by Derby City childminders the Families Information Service (FIS) would, by law, be obliged to share the data with them. I hope this information is of help, please do contact the FIS if you wish to discuss further.

Yours sincerely,

christine e
20-04-2011, 04:02 PM
A couple of childminders near me both applied for planning permission as they were working with an assistant and both have had it refused and told that they must not have more than 6 children at any one time. A friend applied for planning permission after contacting NCMA who told her that should could find herself to be without PL insurance if she didn't apply for it, she went ahead and applied and was granted permission by local council to have no more than 12 children at any one time but for 12months only after which time it would be reviewed. She has since gone into daycare as she firmly believed that the planning permission would not be granted again after the 12months were up.

Cx

tulip0803
20-04-2011, 07:32 PM
My local planning department restricts me to 6 mindees (does not include my own children) Minders that have been registered longer do not have this restriction. However a few years ago it was 6 people entering the house including all members of the family whatever age!

alwaysright
20-04-2011, 07:53 PM
hiya, i'm registered with my husband and we had to have planning permission, it cost me around about £250 and was classed as change of use, the only restrictions we had placed on it was couldnt mind over 6 children before 7am or on a sunday.....no big deal :laughing:

Michelle M
21-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I will phone my local planning department today, tried yesterday but just missed them, sounds like more money to have to pay out :( thanks for your feedback girls very much appreciated.

M X

VINASOL
21-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I am in Kent and my local planning department told me the same. However, it was a maximum of 6 children including my own, so I could only ever have four mindees which I think is crazy.

I do have seven children for breakfast and planning did allow me this as it was just for an hour, but they say that if I receive a complaint they will have to revise this.

If I was to get planning permission, I would have to register the house as a business and this would have far more implications.

It's crazy.

mayberry
22-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Hi, I had to pay about £600 in my area :eek: :eek: not happy but got planing for 8 children now :clapping:

Dawn xx

carol cameron
22-04-2011, 12:03 PM
It's a long shot but does anyone know how Sunderland LA react to this issue?
I have had more than 6 children since I started childminding 14 years ago but had never heard of needing planning permission before.:(

Hebs
22-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Carol i was told by my local EY team that South Tyneside dont request this, as "ofsted set our numbers"

if it was limited to 6 kids, i have 2 of my own so it wouldnt be worth childminding :panic:

carol cameron
22-04-2011, 02:32 PM
That's the issue for a lot of childminders I think Hebs. Much as we like our jobs, we still do it to make a living and if that is restricted to 6 children then we would have to choose only the ones that pay the most- that just isn't right.
I really think this needs clarification by the local authorities. Hopefully Sunderland will be of the same view as South Tyneside.:)

Pipsqueak
22-04-2011, 03:17 PM
More money to shell out that I could not afford and it would close me down!

Chimps Childminding
22-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I am lucky in that my 4 sons are now 18 and 19, however I started childminding when the youngest was 5 and the older ones were 6, and could have 10 children including my own during the holidays (must admit I booked off February and October half terms :blush: couldn't stand the thought of 10 kids all day if the weather was awful! :eek: )

Now I am at my limit (or will be in September) most days, 3 under 5 and 3 over 5. The problem will be if another current under 5 starts school and parents want me to carry on having them (as has happened for the last 3 years) I will not be able to take anyone else on to fill the under 5 space without applying for planning permission - and then if I am only going to have more than 6 once or twice a week its not worth paying out :rolleyes: )

To be honest I would rather not have more than 6, but if I have anymore move into the 5-8 age bracket, I won't be able to fill any under 5 spaces as I will be over my numbers!! Unfortunately this means I would have to look at losing some of the schoolies, as I don't earn as much from them as the littlies :(

onceinabluemoon
23-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I've not heard this and have more than six children here on a daily basis (my own 2 and 5 mindees), come next week and there will be 8! Should I be worried?

clio0602
23-04-2011, 09:22 AM
In our area we need planning permission for over 4 children! :@ costs £250 x

sarah707
23-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I've not heard this and have more than six children here on a daily basis (my own 2 and 5 mindees), come next week and there will be 8! Should I be worried?

If someone makes a complaint against you for eg noise or people parking when collecting their children then someone from the council will come and tell you that you must apply.

Unless you flag yourself up that's the only time really when they might find out - unless they decide to dig. I suppose that depends on how bored they are!

It's not a given that they will let you go over 6 (usually 6 you'd need to check with your local area) ... they write to your neighbours to ask them if your business disrupts them.

That's what stopped me... not the money so much, I'd earn more if I had over 6 so it would be offset. It was my neighbours knowing my business and having a say in it that put me off :(

There is also a risk that you are not covered with insurance if something goes wrong and you are not adhering to local planning laws ... that's one you need to check out.

There's also the implications on your house which might change use from home to business with the accompanying business rates, extra charges for emptying the bin etc.

Hth :D

onceinabluemoon
23-04-2011, 04:16 PM
If someone makes a complaint against you for eg noise or people parking when collecting their children then someone from the council will come and tell you that you must apply.

Unless you flag yourself up that's the only time really when they might find out - unless they decide to dig. I suppose that depends on how bored they are!

It's not a given that they will let you go over 6 (usually 6 you'd need to check with your local area) ... they write to your neighbours to ask them if your business disrupts them.

That's what stopped me... not the money so much, I'd earn more if I had over 6 so it would be offset. It was my neighbours knowing my business and having a say in it that put me off :(

There is also a risk that you are not covered with insurance if something goes wrong and you are not adhering to local planning laws ... that's one you need to check out.

There's also the implications on your house which might change use from home to business with the accompanying business rates, extra charges for emptying the bin etc.

Hth :D

OMW!! The whole lot of them are only here for an hour in the morning. If I have to cut down it wont be worth me working here at all...

Alibali
25-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Up my way most of us as only registered for 6 children in total including our own anyway, so don't think the LA have thought about this, shhh - don't tell them.

JCrakers
28-04-2011, 09:18 AM
The more things I read about how hard it is to be a childminder the more I know I'm not going to be doing this job longterm...Theres no way I can pay £100's of pounds out...I dont earn a huge amount and some of the money earnt goes back in to buy equipment like everyone elase here. :angry:

Becky

boxtree7
28-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I have being told by Liverpool Early Years that I need to apply for planning permission becasue i care for over 6 children it costs 335.00 plus 25 for a copy of the outside of my house -I have contacted the council the forms are not relevant to childminders - As far as the council are concerned the children at my setting all arrive at the same time and go home at the same time. I was told that i am currently breaking the law and if there was a complaint made against me i would be shut down immediatley. I will have to take a day of to sit in the planning department to make sure I have all the information i need to make the application. its crazy ........................... i also asked the planning department about my Council Tax etc and i was told that i would have to contacted that office.
Thanks to all for your advice above.

Newbie1!
02-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Oh my..Im totally amazed....and a bit disgruntled that no-one locally has ever told me about this!!! When I was registered Mrs O registered me for 9 children (with hubby) and with overnight as well. Neither she nor my DO have ever mentioned to me that I would need to consider PP!?! I very very rarely have more than six but during school hols when the older ones are here all day then I do. For those reading that have already obtained it....does it affect things such as council tax (bins etc) with it being business premises??

Well, this could quite possibly finish me off altogether!! :( :(

miffy
02-05-2011, 07:45 AM
This is news to me too!

Something else to pay for - beginning to wonder if it's actually worth me working!!! :(

Miffy xx

Michelle M
08-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I got through and spoke to lovely planning officer, who told me that because I employ an assistant I should have planning permission, but as I am not a newbie and no one has complained and at the moment, and I am not going over 6 children, unless anyones does complain they wont ask me to get permission, she was laughing and trying to get me to read between the lines, but basically if I go over 6 children and have an assistant then I do need to get permission, Or if anyone complains about my business, even if I am not going over 6 children then they will investigate.

Playmate
08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
All individual councils have different rules. As a general rule of thumb if you are working on your own and within your ofsted numbers LA's will turn a blind eye unless, like Sarah says someone complains about noise or parkeing etc. this is because you only have these large numbers for a few hours a day. When hubby and I started working together we wanted to increase our numbers and had to apply to the council. We did not have to apply for planning permission and we were granted 6 under 5 and 3 between 5 and 8. the council agreed to this on the grounds that it was generally for a 2-3 hour period and not every day of the week due to having part time children in a day and there were not parking issues.

What councils are trying to stop are nurseries being run from our homes and it becoming more of a profit making concern. As for your insurance you should check with your insurance company how many you are insured for.

Pipsqueak
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
My CDO is discreetly finding out abou this for me... as she said ' no need to alert them to another money making scheme' lol

Chatterbox Childcare
08-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I am just about to apply for PP too. Most councils are bringing it in but I think it is another money spinner