PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide your hours and what you charged?

teacherinwales
20-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm just curious really as to how you set your hours and prices. I've taken a look at the childcare website and did a search for my area. Prices seem to be generally charged by the day at around £30 (although some a little more/less) and hours vary from 7.30am-6pm Mon-Fri, some charging more for later times and weekends.
Here though, I've read people add in holidays and divide by weeks :eek: I'm just wondering what works best for people, hours and costs, and why?
Thanks. :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
20-04-2011, 08:41 AM
To be honest I just went on other cm's in the area :thumbsup: No use undercutting or overcharging. Mind there is one a couple round my area who are so cheap if you undercut it wouldnt be worth doing.

Some people add all the term and holidays up and divide by 12 so they get a set monthly payment however if they leave halfway throught a year you can end up owing but so could the parent.

mufftie
20-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I went with an average hourly rate for the area and as for hours I advertised 8 - 6 but that's negotiable according to what parents need , I actually open at 6:30 am due to a lot of factory workers round here that start at 7 I prefer this as they generally go around 3 , although I've had to stretch my closing tome till 6:30 due to a parent getting divorced and it was her hubby that used to pick up early . I really hate working this late but it's a good contract and can't afford to loose it

aly
20-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I checked with local cms and their rates...the hours depends on how flexible I want to be.
i am open 7-7 but only work til 6 for contracts though.

I do pro-rata with 3 of mycontracts as 1 is a shift worker and 2 are term time only so it is easier for me as I get a steady income rather than it going up and down.

x

donnam
20-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi i charge £30 per day 8.00-5.30 and i also charge for 4weeks holiday a year plus b/h this is the norm in my area.x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
20-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I looked around at what other childminders charged and now the 3 childminders around my area all charge the same. At the moment I only work until 4.30 mon, tues, wed and then 1.45 on thurs and frid and I am going to try and stick with them hours or as close as I can as they are working really well with me especially with my own 2 dd.

I just charge by the hour.

tulip0803
20-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I belong to a childminding group and we all charge £3.30ph the hours we work vary minder to minder. I charge this between 830 & 6 monday to friday. I also work outside this for £5 ph. I work weekends and bank holidays too. I am one of only 2 minders in my area that offer weekends although I will only have 2 children max at weekends. My day off is Friday.

bonkers betty
20-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm just curious really as to how you set your hours and prices. I've taken a look at the childcare website and did a search for my area. Prices seem to be generally charged by the day at around £30 (although some a little more/less) and hours vary from 7.30am-6pm Mon-Fri, some charging more for later times and weekends.
Here though, I've read people add in holidays and divide by weeks :eek: I'm just wondering what works best for people, hours and costs, and why?
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Depends on what you want I charge £32 per day however some charge per hour, session etc. I dont do school runs as i like to go on day trips and dont want to be restricted and also a 07.30 start for £3.50 is just not worth getting out of bed for. Depends on what works for you, advertise for them all and see what comes first and work around that to start with, its all a learning curve...

onceinabluemoon
22-04-2011, 12:48 PM
When I first started I decided my hours by what was needed, and to some extent still do.

Costs - nobody locally would tell me what they charged, or help me in any way for that matter, so I phoned around neighbouring towns (far enough for my business not to be a threat) and went by what they said.