PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of becoming a childminder...

Mark
19-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm currently a Nursery Nurse and I love it, but the idea of becoming a Childminder has recently begun to really appeal to me. However, I'm not really sure where to start (my first port of call was going to be to e-mail my local Children's Centre, where I used to volunteer) and what preparations I would need to make in advance?

I'm a little worried about my qualifications, as i'm only NVQ 2 in CCLD (but would say my knowledge was of a higher standard, also what my tutor said when I did the course). I'm now finding it extremely difficult to get funding to do any higher qualification, as I already have a degree. Because of this most training providers will not give me funding, although I have found one willing to fund 50% towards a level 4 qualification (leaving me to pay £900, which on minimum wage is easier said than done!). What I would say though is that I am good at my job, passionate about it and have a good working knowledge of the EYFS and child development.

Any advice, or help, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2011, 07:35 PM
If you have a degree then do you need to do more straight away?

You could contact your local council or go direct to Ofsted for the application form which is online

newbie1512
19-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Mark

I'm currently in pre-reg so I may be able to help a little. The first point of contact is usually your local council and trio, they will be able to give you the details of the registration course you need to attend and on that course you will get the application pack. You do need to do paediatric first aid (which you may already have). I have had my visit and done all my paperwork so feel free to pm me for help :D

Oh I'd ask the council about funding too, many councils are not getting any due to the budget.

Mark
19-04-2011, 07:56 PM
If you have a degree then do you need to do more straight away?

You could contact your local council or go direct to Ofsted for the application form which is online

my degree is unrelated, sadly. when i was 17 and applying for uni I never considered working with children as a potential career!