PDA

View Full Version : Buying equipment

Stanfield
26-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I have not registered yet and understand that you only get the startup grant after you register...
Does this mean that you dont have to have anything in place (safety, toys etc) before this?
Is it OFSTED that register you? In that case do they come back to check everything is in place before you take on any children?
All a bit confusing!!!

tulip0803
26-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I have not registered yet and understand that you only get the startup grant after you register...
Does this mean that you dont have to have anything in place (safety, toys etc) before this?
Is it OFSTED that register you? In that case do they come back to check everything is in place before you take on any children?
All a bit confusing!!!

Not all areas do a start-up grant. If you are lucky enough to get one it is normally done by you buy the items and then send off the receipts to be reimbursed. The grant may not be much or cover all the things you need to buy. You only become entitled to the grant when the registering body accepts you for childminding.

You are able to buy things before registering, keep the receipts and on the first day of minding put them through your accounts as start-up costs.

OFSTED are the registering body for England. OFSTED will do a pre-reg inspection during which you can tell them your plans and they will point out things that you will need to have in place by your 1st inspection, which is normally within 6 months of getting your certificate to start childminding. Many things you will need/want to have before you take on your 1st child safety equipment, car seat, buggy etc other things like toys you can build up as you start your business. They will not come back before you take children on but they will return and expect that you have everything in place within 6 months.

miffy
26-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck

miffy xx

angeldelight
26-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Good luck from me also

Angel xx

MissTinkerbell
28-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Depends on area as to what the start up grant covers. Mine only covers - Ofsted registration fee; health declaration fee; ICP course; first aid course; food hygiene course; years NCMA insurance and membership. I don't get anything to cover cost of equipment unless I lived in one of the more 'deprived' areas of the city. But because I live in a nice little village, I don't qualify for the extra help.