PDA

View Full Version : parent arriving early or picking up late

newandlearning
19-04-2011, 01:42 PM
hi all..

I'm having minor timing issues with one of my parents at the moment..

last week they arrived 3 minutes early one day and 10 minutes late.. and didn't comment on lateness.. okay and I know Im being a bit anal about the early 3 mins.. but I can get loads done in 3 minutes without mindee here... like putting eye liner on for instance.:blush:

anyways.. today mindee shows up 10 minutes early .. and this I feel is kinda cheeky as 10 minutes early is the difference to me eating breakie in peace.. now if they are 10 minutes late again .. that means they've had 20 minutes extra care with no charge.

I'm just wondering how do you guys deal with parent knocking on your door early.. I can't say I've not heard it .. as half the time my kids will go answer door...

I think 10 minutes early is too early.. and I don't want this becoming a habit... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when would you tell parent to please come on contracted time or after ??

and at what point to do charge for lateness?

some insight would be greatly appreciated.. x:) thank you loads x

Gracie's mamma
19-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I would charge them from the nearest 15 mins so if they turn up at 7.50 rather than 8.00 i would charge from 7.45 same applies if they are late, round it off to the next 15 mins

kindredspirits
19-04-2011, 02:37 PM
i say i'm not insured for hours not charged for. ;) so if they arrive early you will have to charge them, ditto for any lateness. :thumbsup:

kel1983
19-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I always get one that turn up 10 minutes early, but the LO is always picked up about 15 minutes earlier too. I dont mind this though. He is contracted from 1 - 6 and prefer to finish a little earlier.

blue bear
19-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I find it best just to address it by saying to parents what suits you best, if you don't mind and am going to charge say it's mo problem I will add the 15 mins to your bill, but if you do mind say so, unless urgent do you mind not turning up early as I have loads to do.

Most parents prefer you to be upfront and will understand others you need to use a rubber mallet with lol

Baildon bears
19-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I think it's all about give and take, my youngest mindee is dropped of 10 min early the two days he comes but on a wed he is contracted from 9.30 but usually does to come till 10.00. Also his grandma is great when it comes to me having to take my youngest son to hospital appointments.

alwaysright
19-04-2011, 04:02 PM
i have a bell that i can turn offf for this very reason....it plugs into an electrical socket. it doesnt get turned on until 8am on the dot and i tell all my parents when they come to see me that this is what i do, if they turn up early they know i wont open the door because the bell is turned off. i must add that i did that after years of parents turning up ten minutes or more early!! and to be honest it would be a problem for me even if they did collect early at the end of the day as thats their choice, just like its mine not to start work until 8am not 7.45, 7.50 or even at 7.30 as i had people knocking at the door!! the thing is if you open to them five minutes early then that can quite often become 6minutes, then 7 minutes etc..... as someone said you can get loads done in them few precious minutes :laughing:

Demonjill
19-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I find it best just to address it by saying to parents what suits you best, if you don't mind and am going to charge say it's mo problem I will add the 15 mins to your bill, but if you do mind say so, unless urgent do you mind not turning up early as I have loads to do.

Most parents prefer you to be upfront and will understand others you need to use a rubber mallet with lol

ha ha :laughing: a rubber mallet!! :laughing: :laughing: Im sure it would be well used :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
19-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Cant give you an answer but I'm having the same problem myself so know how you feel :(

mushpea
19-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I too have an electric plug in door bell but if I turn it off they just knock on the door loudly untill I do answer,,I have a child contracted to come at 8am and turns up at 7.25pm every morning,, I tolerate it because he is picked up anywhere between half hour to an hour and half early each day,, I did send a letter out to parents stating that I will not open the door till 7.30am as this is when I start but I think mums watch must say 7.30am as they are here on the dot at 7.25am,, this parent did start of 5mins then 10mins early untill eventualy it was half hour so if your not happy with it then knock it on then head now.
I think next time I would let the parent off the first time but say to the parent ' oh your early I dont mind this time but in future you will be charged by the half hour if you are either early or late', or if you dont want to say anyting just bung half hour on the bill each time they are early or late and wait for them to mention it then say to them its because your early,, that would probably stop them,

charleyfarley
19-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I've had this problem in the past too and I have been known to be a tad sarcastic :blush: not professional I know but when it's constantly happening it's a real pain.

My solution now is I keep my gates locked until when I start work at 8am, my early drop off parents know the gate is locked till then so if they are early they won't get in :laughing:

carol xxx

funemnx
19-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I used to get this with one of my lo's, so I changed the contracted hours to fit the hours she was coming..... parents didn't say a word!! :eek:

miffy
19-04-2011, 06:50 PM
If they arrive early I don't answer the door - it's very simple and generally they learn quickly (especially if it's raining) :D

Late collectors I don't worry too much unless it's persistent then I'd give them one warning, after that I'd charge.

Miffy xx

dollydally
19-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I have this problem too... Mum turns up 10 to 15 minutes early and I usually answer the door with toast in my hand. She always says 'I'm a bit early'. She picks up on time but tends to chat and it's usually almost 6pm before she goes (I finish at 5.30). Trouble is she's soooooo nice and I don't want to be mean.

miffy
19-04-2011, 06:57 PM
I have this problem too... Mum turns up 10 to 15 minutes early and I usually answer the door with toast in my hand. She always says 'I'm a bit early'. She picks up on time but tends to chat and it's usually almost 6pm before she goes (I finish at 5.30). Trouble is she's soooooo nice and I don't want to be mean.

But you're not being mean - she knows she is arriving early and hasn't taken the hint even when you've answered the door with toast in your hand.

I know it's hard to get some parents to leave on time but half an hour chatting, especially if it's every day is a bit much - try reaching for your coat and saying you're going out - failing that you have to be a bit blunt sometimes.

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
19-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I used to have one mom who would still be sat there an hour later :eek: my fault really as she had become a friend and she'd stay for a coffee and a chat but there are times when you just want them to go.

So now I do handover in my kitchen with the living room door firmly shut, 5 minutes or so and they are gone :thumbsup: Makes me sound awful :blush:

Carol xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I think that a couple of times is not a habit but after a week I would offer to amend the contract at £ rate. They will be amazingly on time after that:D

babs
19-04-2011, 07:57 PM
check this thread out i posted a letter i did to mine feel free to take a look and use if you want too...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79186&highlight=early+arrivals

Susana0600
19-04-2011, 08:17 PM
check this thread out i posted a letter i did to mine feel free to take a look and use if you want too...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79186&highlight=early+arrivals

That's a very good letter, thank you very much for that, I saved for me to use it :)

mamma_mia
19-04-2011, 08:57 PM
we had lo dropped off an hour early today (previously arranged as changed hours) but instead of picking up an hour earlier as was ment to, gran collected an hour late as mum was bleaching her hair! nice of her:rolleyes:

The Juggler
20-04-2011, 08:00 AM
we had lo dropped off an hour early today (previously arranged as changed hours) but instead of picking up an hour earlier as was ment to, gran collected an hour late as mum was bleaching her hair! nice of her:rolleyes:

make sure you charge her for the extra 2 hours then

smiler
21-04-2011, 02:46 PM
do you do a termly newsletter or anything? maybe you could add something in there addressing the early drop offs like 'please remember to arrive at the contracted time as i may not be ready to care for your child' or something like that. thats what my friends nursery did - it worked as many parents just didnt realise the impact 10 minutes early can make xx