PDA

View Full Version : STRANGE WORKING HOURS!

mummyme
19-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi all, me again :blush:

Just after a bit of advice. What would you all when faced with a prospective 2 new mindees, where the parents working hours, vary from week to week IYSWIM?

Thanks for ny help. Where would we be without this fantastic forum? :panic:

muffins
19-04-2011, 07:57 AM
If it was possible I would charge them for a min amount of hrs, then extra if needed.

However if it was going to take away alot of hrs, when they're not always using them they would have to pay for them all or a retainer!

If its not suitable I wouldn't do it!

mummyme
19-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the reply 'MUFFINS'. I see what you mean. Im new to all this so its good to hear what others do. The children are 5 and 6 and both at school and it will be 'some days after school' (i'll see what that entails when we meet up tonight I guess), some days in the holidays (nice as I currently look after 4 children who do not come to me in the holidays) and the odd saturday (don't mind doing that for time and a half and ONLY if it is the ODD saturday).

Thanks for reading x

caz3007
19-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I have a parent that does this, but then at this time I dont need or want to be full, so we agreed a minimum amount of hours and then they pay for anything over that. I felt paying a retainer for unused hours, wasnt fair to the parents.

The only thing that gets to me is that I dont know what days she wants until the weekend before. Its not so bad now as I work 4 days a week with other LO's but when I didnt have so many on my books, it annoyed me as I couldnt plan my own spare time.

mummyme
19-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Thats really helpful caz3307. If I take these 2 on that will mean I have 6 children on my books and I really don't want to be too full at the moment (I only got my certificate on 1st March!) so perhaps these spasmodic hours will suit. I will have to insist that I have fair notice of her hours though as I refuse to plan my life around her, if you see what I mean. Its nice to know what the week, 2 weeks or even month holds isnt it. I think I'll base my decision on whether the hours and notice of hours suit me really. Mum is somebody that I met at our local childrens centre and she doesn't want anybody else (although we dont really know each other) so she needs me more than I need her (IYSWIM) - so she'll have to do what she is told!;)

julie w
19-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I have 2 children that come various days/hours. I worked out how much it would be school days, then how much for the odd holidays, then divided it up so they pay me the same amount every week regardless of the days. It works well for us because we both know where we stand. Some weeks I hardly have them at all and other weeks quite a lot, but always get paid the same. It works for us.x.

caz3007
19-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I do adhoc in the holidays for some of my after schoolies and literally its at a mutually acceptable time and its paid in advance. I just allow them to book as and when they need me, it works for me as I get to spend some time with my own DS and just one or two LO's

mummyme
19-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks all. I think this one could work for me! Depending on the saturdays needed as thats MY time really. I won't do more than 1 a month. Enjoy the sunshine everyone x