PDA

View Full Version : Apply for a variation or assistant? Which is easier?

Vic3003
19-04-2011, 07:46 AM
I am a newly registered CM and already have children waiting to start.

I am hoping to have two sisters aged 9 months and 3 years to start from August. In term time I will actually only have the elder sister one afternoon a week. But for the school holidays I will have them both 3 full days. However, I am only registered for 1 under 5 until sept when DS2 starts full time education. At my pre reg visit the ofsted inspector said I could try to apply for a variation if I can prove continuity of care. I could therefore take the baby earlier and then apply on the grounds of keeping siblings together.

Does anyone know how easily Ofsted issue variations? Is it a long process?

My other idea is to register my mother as my assistant. She works in school so is available in school holidays. She is happy to do this and already has enhanced CRB as she is a foster carer too. This would mean I could increase my numbers and so care for both sisters alongside my own children with my mother's help.

Looking at the Ofsted site and forms etc, this actually looks more straightforward. Have any of you registered an assistant? Is it more complicated than this?

I'd really appreciate anyone's experience or opinion on this. Sorry this is long and so many questions within one post!
:)

rickysmiths
19-04-2011, 12:40 PM
It isn't difficult registering an Assistant, though it can take several months and your mum would have to have a CRB done by OFSTED. However they do not automatically increase your numbers just because you have an assistant.

kindredspirits
19-04-2011, 01:12 PM
i found registering an assistant far easier than the variation process -and i've done both.
my husband is my assistant so it was literally all done over the phone -he'd already had an ofsted CRB due to living with me, they increased my numbers from 2 under 5's to 4 under 5's (and told me I could have 5 under 5's if I wanted).

If you do start the baby first then its highly likely that they will be happy to allow the variation for the older sibling, especially if you express your intention to register your mum as an assistant, even if her CRB check with ofsted takes longer they'll see that you've thought it through in the long term.

I am presuming that your numbers are so limited because you have 2 of your own children under 5? (rather than lack of space, obviously if they only registered you for 1 child because you live in a tiny cottage for example, they are not going to increase it no matter how many adults you had as an assistant.)

karen48
19-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I registered my son and daughter over the phone as assistants and ofsted said do you want to increase numbers and i said no and they said you may as well and i said no not at present.

Karen

jane5
19-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I am going to apply for a variation in the next few weeks and ofsted said that as I am newly registered and have not had my 1st inspection they will bring the inspection forward as they wont let me have a variation without the inspection.

this could mean the variation could take 4-6 weeks instead of 2 weeks.
good luck

Vic3003
19-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful.

One thing that worries me about having Mum as an assistant is that it complicates things from a financial paperwork point of view. She's happy to help out as it's actually only 9 days that I need to cover. She doesn't want any payment so do i need to let anyopne else know?

She works full time so it would just be handy to have her registered as an extra pair of hands for school holidays.

I also haven't had a graded inspection so will this definitely rule me out for a variation?

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Even if you register your mum you will still have to apply to increase numbers. I would go for both at the same time for future planning

Noomie
19-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Both are relatively easy to do but a variation will be quicker than registering an assistant. I have applied for 3 variations since beginning work last Sept and have had them all granted.

One was for new business (oops, I got wrist slapped for that but still got variation)
One was for employing an assistant (they need to be Ofsted CRB'd, identity checked and references THEN you need to apply for a variation to increase numbers after all that is approved)
The last is for continuity of care which is what you will be going for.

You never know unless you try. xx

jane5
19-04-2011, 08:01 PM

One thing that worries me about having Mum as an assistant is that it complicates things from a financial paperwork point of view. She's happy to help out as it's actually only 9 days that I need to cover. She doesn't want any payment so do i need to let anyopne else know?

She works full time so it would just be handy to have her registered as an extra pair of hands for school holidays.

I also haven't had a graded inspection so will this definitely rule me out for a variation?

If you are not paying your mum you will not have to inform any one. I have my dh as my assistant and I dont pay him so I put it down on my attendance sheet that he was working with me (we went to the zoo) but that was all.

Ofsted said not having my graded inspection wont stop me getting a variation but it would delay it and they would arrange the inspection within two weeks of the application.

loocyloo
19-04-2011, 08:09 PM
you need to tell your insurance company, so they can send you an employers insurance certificate. ncma charge £5 for this, don't know about MM.

my mum is registered as my assistant, i don't pay her, but we still have a signed contract saying she will keep things confidential etc!

kindredspirits
20-04-2011, 06:37 AM
you don't need to inform anyone if you're not paying her. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
20-04-2011, 06:47 AM
I am a newly registered CM and already have children waiting to start.

I am hoping to have two sisters aged 9 months and 3 years to start from August. In term time I will actually only have the elder sister one afternoon a week. But for the school holidays I will have them both 3 full days. However, I am only registered for 1 under 5 until sept when DS2 starts full time education. At my pre reg visit the ofsted inspector said I could try to apply for a variation if I can prove continuity of care. I could therefore take the baby earlier and then apply on the grounds of keeping siblings together.

Does anyone know how easily Ofsted issue variations? Is it a long process?

My other idea is to register my mother as my assistant. She works in school so is available in school holidays. She is happy to do this and already has enhanced CRB as she is a foster carer too. This would mean I could increase my numbers and so care for both sisters alongside my own children with my mother's help.

Looking at the Ofsted site and forms etc, this actually looks more straightforward. Have any of you registered an assistant? Is it more complicated than this?

I'd really appreciate anyone's experience or opinion on this. Sorry this is long and so many questions within one post!
:)

Because your dd becomes a rising 5 in September, they might just grant you a variation. It's worth asking.:thumbsup: and you should ask them at the same time to change your certificate from September.

Vic3003
20-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks again.

I think I will probably apply for a variation and maybe try to register Mum as an assistant too. If they won't give me a variation then at least I've got some back up plan but if they do then Mum's off the hook!

How far in advance can you apply for a variation before you need it?

bonkers betty
20-04-2011, 09:09 PM

A variation has to be addressed within 14 days and they are great, usually in your favour and paperwork is minimal all online and takes 2 mins. Very very easy it worked for me twice no hastle at all.

Vic3003
21-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks. You have all given me lots of confidence to apply for a variation. This forum is useful, I guess the danger is that I start consulting everyone before I make any decision! :laughing: