PDA

View Full Version : queit areas?

mushpea
19-04-2011, 06:04 AM
we have sold our cane furniture in our conservatory, it was old and we didnt sit on it anymoe and the mindees just kept climbing on and off it so we have sold it to make more room,,, I want to make a queit area for reading and chilling etc and just wonded what everyone else had in their quiet areas and how their children played there,, I dont for one minuite think that they will sit quietly reading books but thought I would give it a try,,,do you let them play in that area too? can they move stuff around? like mine will have blankets and bean bags to sit on but knowing them they will den build with them

onceinabluemoon
19-04-2011, 06:12 AM
I think that if you want it to be a quiet area, you need to state from the start (and stick to) that this is what's its for. Otherwise you will have a child who wants to chill and read a book and somebody else who wants to build dens which of course wouldn't work...

We had cuddly toys,bean bags, cushions and blankets in ours, along with books of course, lol. It was very child friendly with posters on the walls etc.

We dont need ours at the moment as we have mostly babies in but when we did it did get used, mainly by girls aged 4+ who snuggled up and read books

The Juggler
19-04-2011, 06:42 AM
I know in school class rooms they use beanbags and place nets voiles around it adn there is enough room for say 2 or 3 children in there. could you construct a small frame?

miffy
19-04-2011, 06:51 AM
If you google "communication friendly spaces" you'll find lots of ideas for making quiet areas

Miffy xx

blue bear
19-04-2011, 07:05 AM
We have a bread basket (big plastic one supermarkets use to stack bread) lined with a quilt, there are pillows and a cuddly in there along with a blanket for knees. It is next to the bookcase and we have hung a net drape around it(from Ikea meant to go over a bed)

It is well used by babies and older ones, I have a 20 month old who likes to sit in there looking at her photo album or just cuddling a doll. We have two baskets out in the garden too, they have leaf canopies over them (Ikea) and they are also well used.

I keep den building kit in a basket and I encourage them to den build away from the quiet areas.