PDA

View Full Version : Chickens

snufflepuff
18-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Does anyone keep chickens? Can you give me some pro's and con's please?

aly
18-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I've not long hatched chicks who are now 10 days old.
not gone throught hte chicken phase yet but still learning.....Free eggs, cheap food for them, they will eat mostly all your scraps.fun to watch etc
cons = ruined garden, they like to scratch up dirt and flowers so im keepign them an area just for them. :D

others will be along soon

x

birch24
18-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I love chickens. I have 5. They are easy to look after and cheap after the initial outlay. They give you yummy eggs every day. They are great pets. The kids enjoy seeing them and collecting the eggs.

The con's ( there aren't any for me) would be that they can eat all your lovely plants that you have grown. You can't have a vegetable patch. You need someone to look after them if you go away.

:D

Allie
18-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Pro's eggs
good experience for the children
will eat lots of your scraps/leftovers

Con's will need a risk assessment
will need parents premission to take part in feeding and collecting eggs
will need extra good hygiene
will have to muck out regularly

Hope that helps, my hubby keeps talking about keeping them so have been thinking about it recently

Allie

snufflepuff
18-04-2011, 07:54 PM
OH's Dad has about 20 chickens (and ducks, geese, horses, a shetland, lambs, dogs, cats, fish, lol!) and I agree, the eggs are second to none.

My only worry is that the garden isn't all that big. But we are planning on fencing in our front lawn for the children to use, meaning the chickens could have a bit more space in the back garden. I couldn't let them have the whole garden, they would have to be fully enclosed because I think we probably get foxes round here.

birch24
18-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Mine have their own fenced off space within my garden so the children can still see them but the mess is contained. They also have a fully enclosed area that they can be left in for safety. My garden is not huge, you don't need masses of space for them, they do need to dig and have dust baths in the soil.I have made them an area by using the wooden lawn edging to make a square and filling it with soil. They love it. They like to scratch under trees and bushes.
When ofsted came she was quite interested and said it was good for the children to be involved in feeding them and collecting the eggs. I have antibacterial handwash and if they come into contact with them they clean their hands. But I would do that after being outside and before eating anyway.
I also have a dog and the risk assessment is more appropriate to her than the chickens as she is around the children all the time.

:D

Helen Dempster
18-04-2011, 09:49 PM
One of my chickens died on Saturday just gone :( so I now just have 2. Pros and cons are the same as everyone else has mentioned really. We used to have a lovely garden, flowerbeds etc...if you're a keen gardener, then beware as they love to dig. We've now put up hanging baskets and have big pots of flowers instead, which works well. They eat anything - esp slugs, so you won't have those to worry about anymore! One of mine gobbled up a massive spider yesterday!

The eggs they lay are DELICIOUS, much tastier than shop bought (and saves you money too!) They're great pets and the kids all love them.

Ours are ex-battery, which I would recommend. They are in a bit of a state when you first get them (missing feathers/scrawny etc), but they soon pick up and look alot healthier with some TLC.

I'd say go for it :thumbsup:

Hebs
19-04-2011, 04:45 AM
we have eggs in an incubator now waiting for them to hatch, and we are debating on wether to keep them or not :panic: cant decide

Dragonfly
19-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I have broody hen sitting on eggs, two chicks have hatched (sunday) so maybe she is still waiting for the other 4 eggs to hatch? cant disturb her and look:( but I did see the two already hatched chicks peeping out from under her yesterday:thumbsup:)

Chickens are lovely, but do need to be fenced off or you wont have a garden left! they dont take a huge amount of looking after as long as you keep on top of things :)

Dragonfly
19-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Hebs -Keep the hens:thumbsup: wouldnt suggest keeping the males as cockerals are so noisy, unless you havent got any imediate neighbours of course (you would get used to the noise but they might not!)

nell57
19-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Does anyone keep chickens? Can you give me some pro's and con's please?

You beat me to the question:D We have decided to go ahead and keep hens, we're waiting on a delivery of a coop any time now.

Some great advice posted already, but can anyone give me any pointers on what to put on RA. I know there are some obvious ones like hygiene. We intend in getting everything in place before bringing them home.

FussyElmo
19-04-2011, 07:28 AM
You beat me to the question:D We have decided to go ahead and keep hens, we're waiting on a delivery of a coop any time now.

Some great advice posted already, but can anyone give me any pointers on what to put on RA. I know there are some obvious ones like hygiene. We intend in getting everything in place before bringing them home.

Ooooh you will have to tell me all about - I would love to do this but cant persuade dh.

nell57
19-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Ooooh you will have to tell me all about - I would love to do this but cant persuade dh.

It took a lot arm twisting for my OH to come round to the idea, but he more excited than me now:rolleyes: :laughing:

Helen Dempster
19-04-2011, 07:55 AM
For RA I put the following:

Are the animals considered to be suitable with children?
Who will be responsible for the welfare of the animals?
Have they been purchased from reputable supplier?
Have they been vaccinated against known diseases?
Are appropriate disinfectants available?
Are children/adults instructed to wash hands after contact?
Are arrangements in place to clean and disinfect housing regularly?
When necessary is appropriate protective clothing available (ie gloves)?
Is the housing (coop) inspected regularly for damage?
Do children have any known allergic reactions to animals/bedding/feed etc?
Are arrangements in place for first aid (bites and scratches) etc?
Are substances stored and used in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations?
Any other foreseeable hazards?

Hope this helps.

nell57
19-04-2011, 08:11 AM
For RA I put the following:

Are the animals considered to be suitable with children?
Who will be responsible for the welfare of the animals?
Have they been purchased from reputable supplier?
Have they been vaccinated against known diseases?
Are appropriate disinfectants available?
Are children/adults instructed to wash hands after contact?
Are arrangements in place to clean and disinfect housing regularly?
When necessary is appropriate protective clothing available (ie gloves)?
Is the housing (coop) inspected regularly for damage?
Do children have any known allergic reactions to animals/bedding/feed etc?
Are arrangements in place for first aid (bites and scratches) etc?
Are substances stored and used in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations?
Any other foreseeable hazards?

Hope this helps.

That brilliant, thank you, no doubt will be back soon with more question:D

jamiebec2000
19-04-2011, 08:20 AM
we have eggs in an incubator now waiting for them to hatch, and we are debating on wether to keep them or not cant decide

Where did you get the incubator and eggs from, i would love to have some to watch

Thanks

snufflepuff
19-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice.
We don't have any plants in the garden, just grass and patio and a few pots, so i'm not too fussed about them digging things up. And i'd fence off an area for them rather than have them 'free' incase we have foxes. My Dad owns the house so i'd obviously have to ask him how he feels about it, lol! OH's dad hatched some of his in an incubator, we might be able to borrow it to hatch our own, the childen would love that!
I think it's best we save up and have the fencing put round the front first. then we can save towards everything hens would need after that. :)