PDA

View Full Version : A BIT OF MORAL SUPPORT NEEDED PLEASE

mummyme
18-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

I posted yesterday with a question with regards to an enquiry I had last night about taking on a 5 and 6 year old. I have only been registered since end of Feb and have 4 other children on my books, but I am sooo lucky with all the parents!

Anyway I am meeting with mum tomorrow at 17:30. I always get very nervous about this. I need to remember that this is MY business and I am not a charity I think. My problem is that I am a softy but WILL NOT let myself be walked all over. This mum will need after school pick up some days and some full days in the school holidays which will be great as I currently hve no mindees in the holidays. Anyway, I believe that she only does part time shop assistant work at our local shopping centre and to be honest I think that she wouldn't be able to afford me!:blush:

I charge £3.70 per hour which is pretty standard in my area. I believe she may want the odd Saturday (don't mind doing the odd one but NO WAY will I do every week!). Would I be right in charging time and a half on a saturday?? I wonder if she realises that for a full Saturday for both children it will be about £60 and obviously half that again on a Saturday. She needs childcare from Thursday as her mum is going back to Poland. It just seems like so much money and I feel that when I point out costs to her (she knows my hourly rate) she is going to be shocked by how it can add up. I almost find it embarrassing but know I shouldn't as i already have other parents happy to pay.

Don't really know the point of my post to be honest, just have all this stuff I needed to get down in writing I think? :blush:

Does anybody know how much childcare vouchers people are entitled too?

Thanks for reading and sorry for waffling!:)

This forum is fab!!!!:D

Pipsqueak
18-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Not sure about vouchers although someone will be along soon who does.

As to the childcare care/fees - perhaps you could offer her a 'discount' of £5 on a Saturday but make it seem like you are knocking of more. That way she will think you are wonderful:D Its whatever you can afford though isn't it. what I am trying to say is the way you word things to a client needs to sound like you are being generous, doing them a favour, basically selling yourself/marketing yourself in a golden light.....

You are working to earn money to support you and yours, keep food on the table, a roof over your heads, a pair of shoes for child a/b/c and a treat here and there. giving up precious time on a Saturday.... etc

good luck, believe in your VALUE

miffy
18-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I think you just have to be straight about your charges - it's up to mum whether she can afford you or not but if your charges are average for the area then she's not going to find another childminder cheaper.

There's some information about tax credits here

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/WhatAreTaxCredits.aspx

Good luck with the meeting

Miffy xx

Noomie
18-04-2011, 05:56 PM
You shouldn't feel guilty about your prices. If the parent is on a low income than she will get support in the form of CTC's or similar. So some of her childcare will be paid for. Perhaps tell her you will send a quote through for her when you are sure of her hours. That way she can see the daily charges, etc when you're not standing there feeling nervous.

charleyfarley
18-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I always hate discussing rates I charge :panic: but it's something we have to do.

If you are talking about the childcare vouchers through parents work then it's £243 a month per parent so both parents can claim the amount.

Carol xx