PDA

View Full Version : Daily rate vs hourly rate - opinions?

hollyberry
18-04-2011, 04:25 PM
What does everyone think about the question of whether to charge by the hour or charge by half or daily rates? I'm not sure which way to go, and whether one way works out better than the other in terms of if you do have lots of different under5s taking up spaces, is it better that you are blocking out half or full days, rather than itty bitty hourly slots (iyswim)? And how many of you would offer a discounted weekly rate for those who come full time every day?????

Just trying to think how to structure this at the moment. :)

JumpingJacks
18-04-2011, 04:33 PM
It depends on the individual circumstnces of each child to be honest, and what you are prepared to work for.

Personally I charge a set hourly rate with a minimum number of hours I am prepared to work for a day. (unless it is an older sibling and just after school)

I charge a discounted daily rate for a child that attends full time. This seems to be in line with what other minders around here too.

I only charge half hourly if they go over there contracted times but that is at an enhanced rate if I am not notified.

Hope that helps.

Jackie x

jane5
18-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I charge a daily rate of £35 from 8am - 6pm.

lo comes 8 - 5 so it still works out cheaper than my hourly rate of £4.

I have a lo that comes 7am - 12pm and I charge £25 per day. I am happy to only work 5hours with higher rate for an early start, rather than 10hours and lose the possibility of earning £10. I could also find a mindee for that afternoon slot.

I have 4 under 5's on my books and each ones fees are worked out differently to suit their needs so I think you have to have a few scenarios available. I did think I would charge 1 set amount but it has not worked out like that.

I would say do not sell your self short. If you find out what others locally charge and stay around the same. I thought parents would be gasping at the cost but they have mostly already found out local charges and are not shocked.

hollyberry
18-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok that's interesting. I was a bit worried about having different pricing structures for different parents but it doesn't seem to be a problem from what you're saying.

grindal
18-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I charge an hourly rate with a minimum of 4 hrs a day. I do not charge a daily rate, or offer am or pm rates. The longer the hours I work - the more I expect to be paid.

Luckily, seems to be in line other childminders in my North London location :blush:

Susana0600
18-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Excellent to know that, and somebody out there from around Guildford or Woking? how much are fees?:idea: