PDA

View Full Version : elderly mum living with you?

jadavi
18-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I wondered if anyone had an elderly relation living with them and if it worked OK for child minding for you? re noise and meals etc.

I'm just going into this as I love children, have worked with them all my life and have to get a new job (redundancy) I am also 57!! Any other elderly CMs out there? Does it put people off?

Finally I wanted to take Fridays off - is that likely to greatly limit my market?

Any thoughts on the above much appreciated. This forum has been so helpful.

bw
jackie

sarah707
18-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure how you'll get on with a relative living with you... they will need a CRB check and you'd probably be best with a spare room for them to rest in during the day.

I have a day off a week but I don't mind which. At the moment it's Friday and I tend to take part timers who fit around each other. Just be prepared to be flexible with the other days and you should be ok.

57 isn't old! :D

jadavi
19-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks Sarah, yes we have 2 rooms downstairs as sitting rooms so the idea was we would stay out of the front room when she's downstairs which is only for an hour and half 3 times a day and she doesn't use the kitchen...it was more the noise....but I guess we just have to see. I have always hated the idea that young kids should be hived off from adults..if it was me I would enjoy the sound of chlidren but not too sure my mum will see it that way...

Glad the day off seems OK. Assumed it would put off full time workers but I guess there are lots of part timers.

Didn't mean to call myself elderly at 57! Certainly don't feel it.
Any other 50 plus CMs out there?

jac

JaneinDownend
21-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I am about to do my 9 week training course at the age of 48 - but a very young 48 year old I must add. I have the added "obstacle" as I do not have any children of my own - wanted to have a big family but never mr right - although I am auntie and great auntie to over 20 nieces and nephews - and have had a lot of experience with them.

Good luck ... I've found heaps of great advice on here ... and hope to, one day, have a few words of advice I can offer. Just thought I'd let you know that you are not the only one with a few years of experience behind you. x