PDA

View Full Version : Passing my folders to another childminder

catswhiskers
17-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I've looked after a just turn 2 year old for a year now.

Unfortunately, am giving notice due to me going term time.

I have nearly three folders worth of photos/obs/crafty bits on this child.

Fortunately, Mum has found another childminder starting soon so I'm thinking I will probably have to pass the new childminder my 3 folders?

I don't know the new childminder, and also Mum and Dad have never seemed interested in the folders I've kept, so I'm re-thinking everything I do lately as it seems I'm up till late at night doing diaries etc.

Shall I just pass the folders on? Or wait until new minder asks for them (if she does) or if parent asks for them?

What would you do?

charlie potato
17-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I think i'd wait til they were asked for as i'm sure the new cm will ask for them if they want them. xx

singlewiththree
18-04-2011, 06:22 AM
The folders belong to the parent so I would pass them on to the parent and do a quick termly report of where the child is in the eyfs for the new childminder. Unfortunately with all the work we put into the folders they aren't ours to keep and ofsted will only want to look at current children you care for. If you take them out of the folders hole punch them and put a ribbon around them and pass them on when the child leaves it makes a nice goodbye present.

onceinabluemoon
18-04-2011, 06:29 AM
I would give them to the parent too. I'm sure you can keep hold of them if you want but there's little point really as like SWT said Ofsted are only interested in the children in your care.

Chimps Childminding
18-04-2011, 07:26 AM
I would also give them to the parents its up to them what they do with them after that :rolleyes: !!!

Wow 3 folders full for a 2 year old, I'm not doing anwaywhere near that much :eek:

breezy
18-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I give mine to the parents, its up to them to pass them on. No point in you keeping them!

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2011, 08:41 AM
The folders belong to the parent so I would pass them on to the parent and do a quick termly report of where the child is in the eyfs for the new childminder. Unfortunately with all the work we put into the folders they aren't ours to keep and ofsted will only want to look at current children you care for. If you take them out of the folders hole punch them and put a ribbon around them and pass them on when the child leaves it makes a nice goodbye present.

I agree - why would I want to keep them?

blue bear
18-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I had a lo move and went to a new minder I asked mum for new minders number and rang and had general chat about child( written permission ) I did a write up on Childs development along with a list of likes and not likes which I sent to childminder. On Childs last day I gave mum the learning journey including observations and all the personal plans on the child. I made a photo album up for the lo of all the places and toys she had enjoyed whilst with me.

Mum decided to show learning journey with new child minder but did not give it to her to add to, the new childminder started a new one.

catswhiskers
18-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all your advice.

I feel I've spent a lot of my own free time on folders and can't commit to writing up more stuff to give to new childminder.

She's prob got her own system anyway.

It's made me re-think about the amount of stuff I'm doing for my mindees anyway. I give parents the folders every few months with lots of photos, daily diaries, EYFS stuff, with a page for comments but a lot of time they keep them for ages and then ..... don't write one comment! Also, have to keep reminding them all to bring folders back!

It's a shame that Ofsted don't look at previous folders as my inspection was due last November but now mindee is leaving and they won't want to see all the work I've put in! Also, from another two mindees in the past 3 years who I've lost due to parent redundancy.