PDA

View Full Version : Settling in sessions

swindonminder
17-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone plan activities for settling in sessions?

I am doing 2 2hrs sessions.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks

Emma

onceinabluemoon
17-04-2011, 08:08 PM
How old is the child?

swindonminder
17-04-2011, 08:09 PM
She is 10 months old :)

onceinabluemoon
17-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Probably need lots of cuddles then :)

Do you have any wooden blocks? My 10 month old mindee loves knocking down little towers. He also likes anything that makes a noise from musical instruments to a pan and wooden spoon.

Songs and actions can be good for this age too, such as row, row your boat and pat-a-cake etc.

To be honest, settling in sessions are more about getting to know each other than planned activities but a lot depends on the baby.

Have fun x

Liverbird
17-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I've got an 8 month old her settling in sessions next week. She's only just crawling and babbles loads but apart from that I don't know much about her. Please help.

swindonminder
17-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Thank you :)

miffy
17-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd ask the parents what sorts of things they do with him/her at home - favourite books, rhymes etc and make sure I have something that they like but as OIABM said it's more about just getting to know them.

Good luck

Miffy xx

jadavi
14-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Mine is 18 months and coming tomorrow for 2.5 hours late afternoon with his 4 y o brother. The bro was very happy here on the intro visit. Toddler enjoyed my toys but showed no interest in me at all. Had a dummy which I found a barrier. Worried he will be upset leaving mum who he has never left plus family have had recent death of dad and a move. Would hate not to be able to console him.
Any advice? Cheers

Greengrass74
14-11-2011, 08:13 AM
From my experience every settling in period is differant as is every child, you can get age appropriate toys and activities ready, but I would suggest just to go with the flow, see how things develop and use your skills and knowledge learnt to work with the child during the settling in period. The sessions must be child led and not scripted by you.

Some will just go off and play, others will need hugs and some will scream, that is why settling in sessions are great and important, and as time passes the child will settle (hopefully)

Hope this helps and that the sessions go ok :thumbsup:

sunview_cm
14-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Do you charge a fee for settling in session? if so is it normal hourly fee or a special fee?
x

chez
14-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I offer 1 x 2 hrs for free.

I limit this as Ive known a parent take a whole day as settling in and ask for the following week as one too!

I dont plan anything for it just think about what toys Im offering, what I already know about this child, and work on getting to know then during the session