PDA

View Full Version : Those without play rooms

Kes
16-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Just wondered if you keep your house looking like a house or does it look like a childminders?
I often put up posters and childrens art work during the week, I also set up a roleplay area depening on the current interests of the kids.

I'm mostly asking as I'm thinking about trying to make a bit of a cosy reading area but wonder if I'm going too far and will end up looking like a nursery which I almost do now:blush: especially as its all in my living room as I have no play room.

swindonminder
16-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi there,

I don't have a play room either, I leave some the toys out all the time as I dont have anywhere else to put them (think I may have gone slightly over the top lol).

I have 3x plastic storage drawers filled with toys, a kitchen, cleaning trolley, medical trolley and a box of little people toys that stays out all the time :laughing:

I also have a small book case filled with books, puzzles etc.

Everything else is tucked away in my cupboard.

I love seeing all the toys out plus I do have nieces who I see regularly and they love playing with them.

Emma :)

Gizmo
16-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I no longer have a playroom as my dds wanted separate bedrooms and they come first, but have to admit I really dont like my house looking a nursery it is really starting to annoy me and love a Friday night when I can pack it all away again. You have to think if you are adding another area do you really need it esp when its in your living room

kel1983
16-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I live with my parents in there house so I have to make sure the toys are away every night. We dont have a playroom we have a spare box room which I store all the toys in. My brother is currently living with us (hopefully only for another couple of weeks) and is sleeping in our downstairs office which I have so many ideas for. It will be nice to have a room which I can just shut up at night.

Pixie dust
16-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't have a playroom either it's my dream to have one:blush: My dining room looks like a nursery as I have a role play area set, displays on walls and of course toys!! My own children are teenagers so can't get away with saying it's for them.
Lucky for me my DH is supportive.. well most of the time:laughing:

miffy
16-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't have a playroom and leave toys out during the week when I'm working - all gets packed away when I've finished for the week except for artwork on display as I can't be bothered to take that down, luckily hubby doesn't mind.

Miffy xx

funemnx
16-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't have a playroom either, I have a shed in the garden which I keep everything in but I only pack absolutely everything away when I finish on a Friday. Even all my little laminated signs and pictures are only blue-tacked on and get packed away. Our boys are all adults now and it's nice to have a fully adult house at the weekends - except when the grandchildren come to visit Lol!!! :D

Kes
17-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I put all my stuff down on a friday and have my house back at the weekends. I do have a 7 and a 3 year old of my own so even at the weekend toys are out.
I seem to go through phases where sometimes I want my house back and other times I don't mind and put posters and things up.
I wish I could pull a switch at the end of the day and the house would spin round into a tidy grown up house but then I would have to get rid of my kids and hubby or it would'nt stay tidy for long.

onceinabluemoon
17-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I put all my stuff down on a friday and have my house back at the weekends. I do have a 7 and a 3 year old of my own so even at the weekend toys are out.
I seem to go through phases where sometimes I want my house back and other times I don't mind and put posters and things up.
I wish I could pull a switch at the end of the day and the house would spin round into a tidy grown up house but then I would have to get rid of my kids and hubby or it would'nt stay tidy for long.

I'm exactly the same! At the moment I have reached a sort of compromise as all the children's things are along one wall except their little table and chairs which could be moved at weekends. The wall by their toys has got their art work and photos etc on.

In a few weeks I'll probably want it looking different though :blush:

Newbie1!
17-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm exactly the same! At the moment I have reached a sort of compromise as all the children's things are along one wall except their little table and chairs which could be moved at weekends. The wall by their toys has got their art work and photos etc on.

In a few weeks I'll probably want it looking different though :blush:

I totally get this too! My conservatory (which was purpose built as my lounge!) has been totally taken over and it pretty much does look like a nursery at the moment. I have nowhere to store things and so everything stays out 24/7. Some things i dont mind as DD is only 2 so uses lots of things at weekends but some evenings I sit watching TV/laptop etc and think arrrgggghhhhh I cant see my lovely (and v expensive!!) wallpaper anymore, and then go off into my little dream world about the garage conversation im planning in about 2020!!!! (or if I win the lottery in the meantime!) :(

I would love a story corner/soft beanbag type area but I physically cannot cram anymore into my space and my connie is 21 foot by 13 foot at that!

The Juggler
17-04-2011, 08:46 AM
my house def. gives away my work. I have a home corner set up permanently at back of lounge. However, at night/weekends our sofas are at the other end facing away so i can pretend its not there :laughing: :laughing: all the toys are stacked in boxes on and on top of my ikea shelving unit. The kitchen is covered in artwork and posters and my garden is full of sandpits/waterparks and toys. However, hall is photos only :thumbsup:

I rid upstairs of all signs of CM'ing at the weekend, cots folded and put away.

jadavi
17-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi I was looking at Sarah's photos and wondered why so many people find a gazebo useful? Is it to keep equipment dry? Cos i thought if it's for the rain wouldn't you just come back iside with the children?

I'm just starting out and deciding what I'm gonna have to buy.

Comments would be appreciated re garden stuff....

(Wanted to post this as new thread but lost the button...where is it???? !!!:)

Pauline
17-04-2011, 01:50 PM

This should help you find it :) www.childmindingforum.co.uk/howto.html

Rubybubbles
17-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi I was looking at Sarah's photos and wondered why so many people find a gazebo useful? Is it to keep equipment dry? Cos i thought if it's for the rain wouldn't you just come back iside with the children?

I'm just starting out and deciding what I'm gonna have to buy.

Comments would be appreciated re garden stuff....

I have my gazebo up so the children can have free access inside and out (my dinning area goes into garden with patio door. It means the kids get more space to play and messy things like painting can be done outside, :D

FussyElmo
17-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I have my gazebo up so the children can have free access inside and out (my dinning area goes into garden with patio door. It means the kids get more space to play and messy things like painting can be done outside, :D

So need a gazebo for this reason especially in this weather :thumbsup: