PDA

View Full Version : NCMA elects a new Chair

sarah707
16-04-2011, 07:03 AM
The National Childminding Association’s Board of Trustees has selected Sue Davis as the next Chair of NCMA. Sue, pictured right, will take on the role when Susanna Dawson steps down as Chair at NCMA’s Annual General Meeting in September, after six years in the role.

Currently Chair of Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospital Trust, Sue has been a trustee and Chair of a number of national and regional boards, as well as a local councillor and school governor.

Announcing Sue’s selection, NCMA’s outgoing Chair Susanna Dawson, said, "Sue brings with her a wide range of experience of governance and representation in a variety of different roles as well as a strong commitment to the role childcare and early learning plays in improving the life chances of children.

"The Board selected Sue because it believes she has the skills and experience needed to oversee the delivery of NCMA’s new strategy during these difficult economic times.

"I wish Sue every success in the role and am looking forward to supporting her in the coming weeks, as she gets to better understand NCMA, its members and the work we do."

Sue Davis said, "I believe home-based childcare contributes so much to the wellbeing of children, and that childminders and nannies do not get the credit they deserve for the really important job they do.

"I am very conscious of taking over at a time when central and local government is cutting back on the training and support offered to childminders and nannies. I will strive to ensure that NCMA - as their professional association - does all it can with its limited resources, to provide the support members need to continue to deliver high quality care to children and their families.

"As Chair I am looking forward to working with trustees, volunteers, members and staff to ensure that greater recognition is given to the profession, and the professionals, that NCMA represents."

Sue will be working alongside Susanna for the next few weeks, meeting staff and volunteers involved in aspects of NCMA’s work, attending events and meeting members, so that she grows her understanding of NCMA, home-based childcare and the issues and concerns NCMA members have.

I wonder what a new broom who is not a childminder will bring... :D

christine e
16-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Agree think it is a real shame that new chair is not a childminder!

Cx

manjay
16-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Agree think it is a real shame that new chair is not a childminder!

Cx

Me too! But the board obviously saw qualities in her that made them think she would be a good chair. Let's hope so. I think Susanna is a hard act to follow.

Did you not fancy it Christine?;)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I think Suzanna did a fantastic job and a new face without the childminder background will be good for us all

We hear moaning and groaning about NCMA so maybe Sue will bring other qualities with her.

Beetlejuice
16-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm reserving judgement for the moment. On the one hand I think a non-childminding person could bring a fresh attitude and new perspective on things. On the other I worry that she won't have the faintest ideas of the challenges of what we do and it will all go belly-up :panic: We will see what happens over the next year or so.

Cazz
16-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't know anything about this new lady but my nomination would be for Sarah 707 - I don't think you'd find anyone much more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about childminding as her :thumbsup:

Donkey
16-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I will reserve judgement....

but I do think that she needs to get her hands mucky... how can she possible represent us and talk about our daily struggle if she has never been there...

she needs to walk a mile in our shoes before she can preach about how hard we work...

breezy
16-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I will reserve judgement....

but I do think that she needs to get her hands mucky... how can she possible represent us and talk about our daily struggle if she has never been there...

she needs to walk a mile in our shoes before she can preach about how hard we work...

same here, not convinced a non minder will work