PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering

caz3007
15-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Goodness me, I waved off my mindie at 3pm and we have been busy decluttering all the childminding toys. My house is sooooo full of 'stuff' both minding and personal and I have decided its time to get ruthless and make life easier for me to keep everything tidy and clean.

Hubby has moved shelf units and is currently putting up a new deep shelf unit from Argos. I have already loaded two big boxes into the car for the charity shop and there will be at least one more tonight and probably others for hubby to take on Monday. I actually feel good about doing it and we will actually use the things I have left, rather than feel overwhelmed by it all and play with the same things.

Minstrel
15-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I need to do this too! Any tips?

kel1983
15-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I have only been minding for 6 month now but have collected sooo many toys over this time from family and friends and feel I need to declutter and rearrange it all.

I am going to have a good sort out over the next few weeks I think. I need to start a toy catalogue so may get some photos of everything at the same time.

I want to get some new storage :(

sandy64
15-04-2011, 05:32 PM
me too i did filing cabinet this wk threw 3 carry bags of rubbish, now need to start in playroom next week im off for a week now so after doing tax return will declutter keep up with decluttering im sure youl feel better when its done:)

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I did this a few months back, feels so much better without too many toys. I have to be strict with myself now so I dont fill back up again!!

caz3007
15-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I did this a few months back, feels so much better without too many toys. I have to be strict with myself now so I dont fill back up again!!

I was thinking I could go to a car boot and buy some new bits :laughing: :laughing:

I have been given so much stuff by other people including tons of books and they always want to read the same few, so lots and lots of books have gone

sarah707
15-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I had a really good sort through a couple of weeks ago and got rid of loads of bits that the children didn't use.

I also found a big pile of broken things someone has been hiding behind a cupboard :( Mr Nobody of course :rolleyes:

The best thing I did was to put together some story sacks of similar books and get them out of the book boxes and off the shelves...

They can come out a few at a time with a puppet or a cuddly toy now and feature in a basket rather than sitting crushed up on a shelf and never getting read or being wedged back in.

Also I put together 2 small boxes of baby books and I am rotating them a week at a time. They are much easier to get at and the children are enjoying a wider selection. I notice them looking through with more interest now rather than just chucking them around.

Enjoy! :D

janminder
15-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Its a good feeling when its all done, got my new unit on Monday which made me sort out all my toys and books. Trouble is did'nt clear out much but what I have is much more organised now :)

miffy
15-04-2011, 09:04 PM
The best thing I did was to put together some story sacks of similar books and get them out of the book boxes and off the shelves...

They can come out a few at a time with a puppet or a cuddly toy now and feature in a basket rather than sitting crushed up on a shelf and never getting read or being wedged back in.

Also I put together 2 small boxes of baby books and I am rotating them a week at a time. They are much easier to get at and the children are enjoying a wider selection. I notice them looking through with more interest now rather than just chucking them around.

Enjoy! :D

I like those ideas Sarah.

I've been using "interest baskets" a lot more since I bought your e-book - the children really enjoy them and I take a photograph so I've got a record of what was in them :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

sarah707
16-04-2011, 06:47 AM
I like those ideas Sarah.

I've been using "interest baskets" a lot more since I bought your e-book - the children really enjoy them and I take a photograph so I've got a record of what was in them :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

I am using photos a lot more as well! :thumbsup:

I got the idea from some wonderful outstanding childminders I visited last weekend.

I have been experimenting ... 4 or 5 small photos on a sheet with a little bit of blurb looks very nice in both my planning folder (look what we did) and my photo album (look how fab we are new parents... children see how clever you are). :D

caz3007
16-04-2011, 06:53 AM
I have a couple of different sets sorted out, the hungry caterpillar, owl babies and some Thomas books. I also have a spare tub thingy, so think will do this, a great idea, thanks Sarah. OOOhhh and perhaps I can find the farm books and then have the farm animals out, one week.

I am not very good at planning and we tend to have lots out, but should perhaps theme it a bit, it wouldnt hurt.

I think any new bits that come into my house are going to be more themed and thought about