PDA

View Full Version : Foam mats any good as rug for playroom?

Chimps Childminding
15-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi, does anyone use the foam mats (ones that fit together like a jigsaw) as the flooring in their playroom etc. We have bought some that we use on June's decking, but the rug in my dining room (used as play room) could do with being replaced and I was wondering if these are robust enough to use all the time?

We have bought the others from Tesco (£7.50) for a pack of 4 (60 cm x 60 cm each) and I think I would need 3 - 4 packs to cover the floor area so not hugely expensive. I have been looking for rugs, but they all seem to be neutral colours (my dining area is blue) or they are really small or VERY expensive!

Just wondered what anyone thought about the foam mats?

kel1983
15-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I have the number mats in my small playhouse in the garden. The only thing is the children keep taking the numbers our of them. I thought it would give them a softer landing than the slabs underneath.

I saw those in tesco but this week when i had the money they didnt have any. wanted them to put on our decking. Not sure what they would be like on a carpet or wooden flooring. They may

Im sure someone will be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

babs
15-04-2011, 03:47 PM
i used them in my lounge when lo's were babies left them down all week lifted at weekend had them down from Sept last yr up to about a month ago now they are both walking they go in play room with others.. id say they are robust enough Ive now packed them up ready for when i get another lo.. i brought ones from early learning they do alphabet and numbers.. i also have another set that i use outside in summer on patio in case they trip over covers my whole 10ft by 12 ft patio got theses from charity shop are still in good order and i leave them outdoors during week unless its raining.. my lounge is laminate

karensmart4
15-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I bought the ones from elc £15 per pk buy 2 get one free, they are great in the playroom. They look bright and colourful, are soft for the childrens knees and are washable.

They get the thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

mrs_scottydog
15-04-2011, 04:00 PM
My CM friend uses them and finds them really good, she has 2 under 1yr at the moment as well as her 3 older girls. Hx

AliceK
15-04-2011, 04:00 PM
They are great and I love them but whenever I have them down the LO's just pull the pieces apart :rolleyes:

xxxxx

swindonminder
15-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Pound Stretcher do them, a pack for £3.99

babs
15-04-2011, 04:02 PM
i glued my letters in one ones i use outside..:D new ones are not as loose..

Chimps Childminding
15-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I have some with shapes, letters etc. in them, but as has been said the lo's pull the pieces out so wouldn't want to risk those incase they put them in their mouth. The ones I am thinking of using are just plain coloured squares, pack of 4 (red, yellow, blue and orange) 60 x 60 for £7.50 (only trouble I might need to buy more packs to use just the colours I want :blush:)

Thought it might be cheaper and more hygenic option than a new rug, just wasn't sure if they were robust enough for everyday use?

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Just looked them up on Tesco direct and they look good.

I have the ELC ones and use them loads indoors at the moment but they've also been outside under the playhouse etc

Link here to anybody else wanting to buy them

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-9376.aspx

MUCH cheaper than the ELC ones but dont know if they are as thick/ strong.

solly
15-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I had wood flooring put down in the living room last year and needed something to put down for the children but also to protect my lovely floor. I have the ELC ones and they are really good, I take mine up everyday as my house is my home at the end of the day:)

Lick'le Oakes
15-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I use the elc ones all the time. They save my carpet getting even more ruined than it already is. I just wash themm down when a little one has dribbled on them or baby been sick etc. They lift up at night and I hoover and they have a weekly scrub. They tend to "walk" a little by the end of the day but it don't take long to sort out. I have had the same ones for about a year now, they are looking abit worn but they are used daily. :thumbsup:

merry
15-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I've bought the ones from Tesco to put in my conservatory on the tiled floor and they're warm, soft and lasting well so far, been down 3 weeks and still look new.

:)

Chimps Childminding
15-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone!! Have looked at the ELC ones, but they are twice the price of Tesco. I am thinking of getting them from Tesco and if they don't work out in the dining room, or I get fed up with them I can always use them in the Wendyhouse instead!! Had a quick measure up and 4 packs will cover quite a good space and only cost £30 + postage (or I think I can collect from local Tesco, so even better :clapping: )

MaryMary
16-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I don't think mine would stay on the floor long :panic: My kids love to make boxes out of them (got given 12 ELC ones). They hide in the boxes, and jump out on each other. they also use them to make dens, tunnels, etc. they have great fun, but don't stay on the floor long :D

onceinabluemoon
16-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I don't think mine would stay on the floor long :panic: My kids love to make boxes out of them (got given 12 ELC ones). They hide in the boxes, and jump out on each other. they also use them to make dens, tunnels, etc. they have great fun, but don't stay on the floor long :D

heehee, we make tunnels and 'dice' with ours too. Kids love them!

Good to know the Tesco ones are good too as the ELC ones are pretty expensive! :(

Chimps Childminding
16-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Don't mind them using them to play, as long as they don't "lock" the baby inside :laughing:

JaxV
16-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I have them on the wooden floor in the living room, and the slate floor of the conservatory. The ones in the conservatory get taken out onto the patio area if its nice out. I think they are fab and so versatile, easy to clean etc. I'd definitely go for them over a rug in a playroom!

Chimps Childminding
16-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone!! Decision made, gonna buy some foam mats instead of a new rug!!! Just hope Tesco haven't sold out now :eek:

Rubybubbles
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
did you get any of these in the end? wondering how they have been? I have moved the house around again :rolleyes: and got a lovely big space which I currently have to put big cot sheets down to try and save the carpet from baby with reflux:(

these would be much easier!

Chimps Childminding
09-05-2011, 12:57 PM
did you get any of these in the end? wondering how they have been? I have moved the house around again :rolleyes: and got a lovely big space which I currently have to put big cot sheets down to try and save the carpet from baby with reflux:(

these would be much easier!

No didn't get them :( by the time I had ummed and ahhed about them the price had gone up from £7.50 a pack to £10 and i wanted 4 packs. Not a lot I know, but I was just a bit p****d off so am still thinking about what to do :rolleyes: That will teach me to make decisions quicker :D

jadavi
09-05-2011, 01:07 PM
This may be worth a look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIDS-PLAY-MAT-INTERLOCKING-SOFT-FOAM-LANDING-SAFETY-/150553895866?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness _Fitness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7358ddf

saw it on ebay but don't know how many in a pack etc. 1.99 sounded quite a good price. plus they're plain and lots of different colours.

Chimps Childminding
09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
This may be worth a look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIDS-PLAY-MAT-INTERLOCKING-SOFT-FOAM-LANDING-SAFETY-/150553895866?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness _Fitness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7358ddf

saw it on ebay but don't know how many in a pack etc. 1.99 sounded quite a good price. plus they're plain and lots of different colours.

Thanks for that!!! Liked the idea that I could choose the colours I wanted rather than getting 4 different colours (Tesco pack), but guess what the colours I wanted are out of stock :angry: Have emailed to see if they are getting anymore in!!