PDA

View Full Version : Holiday pay pain - how do you do it?

bellacat
15-04-2011, 09:28 AM
I would be interested to know how you lovely ladies charge for holidays. I use to do half pay for my hols and half for parents, but then it started to get complicated because people would take half a day and want me to charge half a half a day, if that makes sense. I now charge full pay for parents hols and days off but nothing for my own. One of my mindees has recently been to Australia, for 7 weeks!!!. It was only supposed to be for 3 weeks but she extended her stay, alright for some. Before she went she asked if i could help her out with money because she has recently left her job!!! :eek: , This all sounds ridiculous doesn't it? So i agreed that she could pay me half money while she was away and then pay me the other half when i had my hols. While she was away for SEVEN weeks she did pay me although i was one week short when she returned. I bought this up with her on her return and she did pay me what she owed me and also one of my other halfs for this week, that i have taken as hols. My gripe is that everytime i mention money i get tutts and huffs and it is really beginning to get on my nerves :angry: . I sometimes feel that people think i am here just to help them out and they dont realise that i am running a business. Any comments on this subject would be great.:)

mufftie
15-04-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't charge anything for holidays as long as they booked in advance , that's for theirs or mine , I don't believe in charging for a service that's not available with regards my own holiday . I do charge 1/2 fee if child is off for sickness or occasional day without notice

dusky777
15-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I do 4 half pay weeks a year for my holidays or parents. 4 weeks notice is required or full fees are charged.
I dont do half days on holidays it the full day or nothing.
I know what you mean about tutts and huffs, i am goign to start doing invoices so i dont have to say anything about money to them any more just had over the bill!!

rickysmiths
15-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Simple now. I charge 52 weeks a year. The only time I don't charge is if I'm off sick. Term time only have 8 weeks at half fee.

singingcactus
15-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't charge for any holidays. I only charge for hours used. That doesn't work for everyone I know but that's what I do. I find I just can't charge individuals for services not provided. Then again I only take on part time kids at the moment so absent kids only affect a portion of my income as I have quite a lot of kids in attendance over the course of a week.
If I had only full time kids then 7 weeks absence would be significant. When I do have full timers I have in the past charged a set monthly rate that is payable each month to cover up to a decided number of hours, usually 50 per week, over and above those hours I charged by the hour. The set rate is usually set at a good rate for the parents so it is beneficial for them to accept this system, as they get bonus hours for the most part. But then on quiet months it works for me as I still get the amount I need to get by.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I have 2 weeks off at full pay

If I was doing 1/2 and 1/2 like you I would stipulate a maximum number at half rate. If it was 4 then she would have used that up and then paid 3 weeks at full pay

Starfish007
15-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I like to keep it simple, I take 4 weeks holidays unpaid (always give at least 6 months notice) and charge full for any holidays outside my 4 weeks. Parents usually book their holidays when I take mine so they don't need to take any other time off.

Guess you have to do what works for you and stick with it x

jane5
15-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I dont charge for my sickness or holidays.

I charge full fees for their sickness or holidays.

They know in advance when my holidays are and they can take the same weeks if they want. I wont do half and half because it is messy if they want more weeks than me.

If I am open they pay full fee and if I am closed they pay nothing. Simples...

I also get full pay for bank holidays if they dont use me and double pay if they do use me (ssshhh keep a secret, I am praying they dont use me because I really want the days off on full pay :o )

Tink
15-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't charge for my holidays (9 weeks and counting:clapping: ) but I do charge for the mindees being off on holiday.

marnieb
15-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I dont charge for my holidays or sickness either, but as many above if they give me 4 weeks notice of their hols I then charge them 75% of their normal rate, so far had no problems with parents, 1 mum even forgot to tell me mindee wasnt coming 1 day and made no comment at all about the fact she'd already paid for the full day!!!!!

SamBaker
15-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't charge for my holidays (9 weeks and counting:clapping: ) but I do charge for the mindees being off on holiday.

I also do this and as most of my parents say, nurserys charge as do clubs, swimming etc, it is their space.