PDA

View Full Version : Food

VINASOL
15-04-2011, 07:20 AM
3 days a week I feed 6 children. My two kids; two sisters, a boy and a girl.
I am so struggling to find healthy meals that they will all eat.

They all have DIFFERENT likes/dislikes...I got everyone to write a list of foods that they like/dislike but I can't seem to find meals to suit all so i end up cooking one lot for mindees, and one for my two kids and sometimes it is even 3 seperate meals:eek: .

Also, foods that I can prepare in advance would be good to as I'm fed up of rushing food and spending time in the kitchen in the afternoons.

Any suggestions anyone?

Happy Bunny
15-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Are you mad LOL LOL
I would not be cooking three different meals.
I decide the menu's but the children get the choice of what days they will eat them.
Occasionally they get to choose their choice of food but this is only if it is a reward day or their birthday.

gemma.windsor
15-04-2011, 07:53 AM
sorry cherie but you seem to be abit strict?

I think madamtorres's approach is allright, I think it depends on what they like... it's hard for me to just give you list of possible solution if you could give me an example of the stuff they come up with I could forward you some ideas on what way to go best when cooking their food, and also fast ways that are healthy and save you time in the kitchen?

barbarella68
15-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Why exactly is Cherie strict?

VINASOL
15-04-2011, 07:59 AM
it'd probably ok if i just had one or two but with six it's a bit harder.

the problem i have is:

some like mash; others hate it (prefer roast, but NOT baked)
some like pasta; others hate it
some like pies; others hate it
(most of them wont eat veg, but at least I put a selection on their plate)
they like chicken but it has to be roasted or steamed
none like sauces
some like lasagne; others hate it

i struggle every day. and i'm thinking about when new term starts as i want to be a bit better prepared.

caz3007
15-04-2011, 08:02 AM
This is part of the reason why I would like to stop meals, fed up of cooking and then them not eating after having eaten it before

I think I need to sit down and work out a 2 week menu plan and thats it, no deviation

Happy Bunny
15-04-2011, 08:03 AM
I can't see why I am strict.
I have 6 children to feed and if i had to be cooking 3 different meals according to their likes and dislikes i would be standing in the kitchen all day.
If a child really doesn't like a food i.e mashed potato then i do offer an alternative.
I meant cooking 3 different meals.

FussyElmo
15-04-2011, 08:05 AM
sorry cherie but you seem to be abit strict?

I think madamtorres's approach is allright, I think it depends on what they like... it's hard for me to just give you list of possible solution if you could give me an example of the stuff they come up with I could forward you some ideas on what way to go best when cooking their food, and also fast ways that are healthy and save you time in the kitchen?

Its not being strict its being practical :thumbsup:

VINASOL
15-04-2011, 08:14 AM
I can't see why I am strict.
I have 6 children to feed and if i had to be cooking 3 different meals according to their likes and dislikes i would be standing in the kitchen all day.
If a child really doesn't like a food i.e mashed potato then i do offer an alternative.
I meant cooking 3 different meals.

what sort of meals do you do cherie?

Happy Bunny
15-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Pasta based dishes, home made quiches which the children help make putting their own ingredients in, home made pizza's.
I tend to get the children involved in helping if they are old enough, they tend to eat it if they have helped make it.
We do theme weeks sometimes, learning about different countries and they get to look through books which gives me ideas for food, if they say that they like the look of something then we will cook it.

birch24
15-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I do a monthly menu and give it to the parents and thats what they have. None of the food is horrible. I plan the meals so that they get a variety and if a child really hates something I make allowances eg exchange mash for baked etc.

I don't have any problems they never say they are not going to eat.
I try to plan things they all like but you can't please everyone all the time.

:D

gemma.windsor
18-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Why exactly is Cherie strict?

well because if we all worked in a soup kitchen then yeah it would make sense to take on this attitude however I just personally think child minding is not about meeting the minimum requirnment gets payed and go home... we are supposed to take care of these kids, and I think it's okay if you have 3 or 4 different kids with different tastes, we should try work together and come up with something... it does not have to mean sitting in the kitchen all day!

snufflepuff
18-04-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't do evening meals (I only have one child here late enough one day a week and she brings her own meal) but if I did I certainly wouldn't be cooking several different things.
Maybe you could send a letter out to parents explaining that it's becoming difficult to please everyone. Ask them to list foods that their children have tried and really do not like, and maybe a few of their favourite meals too. Then see what you can come up with from that. You could perhaps do one meal but with slight variations- eg pie and mash with veg- those that don't like the pastry can just have the filling, those that won't eat mash can have their potatoes boiled, and you could perhaps let them choose a vegetable to go with it as all the veg choices can be cooked together in one pan/ in a steamer so no extra work for you. Getting them involved in the choosing and preparation might make them more likely to eat it?

anthea jane
18-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Pasta based dishes, home made quiches which the children help make putting their own ingredients in, home made pizza's.
I tend to get the children involved in helping if they are old enough, they tend to eat it if they have helped make it.
We do theme weeks sometimes, learning about different countries and they get to look through books which gives me ideas for food, if they say that they like the look of something then we will cook it.

Totally agree, my children are all quite fussy, but if they have helped make it they will eat it!!
Their favourites are home made meatballs with tomato sauce and pasta, pizzas , kebabs (chicken chunks, sausages (cut up), cherry toms, peppers, onion etc..) 'picnic' food is always a favourite too ,sausage rolls, mini sandwiches,cheese,cucumber and carrot sticks etc...

The Juggler
18-04-2011, 09:09 AM
it'd probably ok if i just had one or two but with six it's a bit harder.

the problem i have is:

some like mash; others hate it (prefer roast, but NOT baked)
some like pasta; others hate it
some like pies; others hate it
(most of them wont eat veg, but at least I put a selection on their plate)
they like chicken but it has to be roasted or steamed
none like sauces
some like lasagne; others hate it

i struggle every day. and i'm thinking about when new term starts as i want to be a bit better prepared.

so when you make mash take a boiled potato or two out before you mash them hon. they can eat that or go without.

i have children who don't eat pasta. I give them a bit of crusty bread to go with the meat/sauce.

i always cook 2/3 veg. those that don't like a veg get double portion of the one they do like.

if they all hate something don't do it hon. if there is something some jsut won't eat also don't make it.

I used to find 5-7 dishes they all liked and veggies etc. Each day we'd have one and if they didn't eat it I'd know it was because they were being fussy and they could eat it or leave it. Maybe that sounds harsh but I wasnt running a cafe.:panic:

VINASOL
18-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I think that perhaps I will do a menu for the month and give it to parents beforehand and ask them to flag anything children won't eat.

I do try to make things that I know children will like, but they end up saying "I dont' like it"....think that they are just being awkward. I am fed up doing lots of different dishes and my two kids are JUST as awkward.

This is one side of the job I am finding very difficult. I guess it's because my kids are rather fussy.

I do have a list of foods that the kids like, but hardly any of them match iyswim.

Liek the idea about bread instead of potato though (and I know kids like that).

Thanks for all your ideas and comments.

onceinabluemoon
18-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Could I just suggest something?

How about making a grid list of foods (ie a table) and then instead of asking the kiddies what they like,ask the parents what they eat at home. Perhaps get them to circle anything their child loves, tick or leave unmarked anything they will eat and score out anything they really hate.

That way the kids cant pull a fast one and only 'like' their favourite foods ;)

.................................................. ...............................................

Gemma, I dont think any of us want to meet minimum standards, get paid and then go home (actually the 'go home' thing surprised me as we are home already...).

It's part of our job to ensure the children eat healthily and part of that is to encourage them to try new foods, perhaps to tempt them out of their comfort zone a little.

Imagine if you will a 6 year old who has parents who simply don't do cooking, everything she eats is either fried or out of a microwave. She comes to my house sees we have beef casserole and veggies for dinner and as a reflex action says "Ugh I don't like that, I want pie and chips". Should I give her the pie and chips or should I persuade her to eat the healthier option?

I'm not for one moment suggesting all of Madamtorres children come from backgrounds like that, but the chances are the ones who love pasta have that as their staple carb and the ones that love mash have that but not pasta.

By only cooking one meal we are actually doing the mindees a good service by getting them to eat outside of their comfort zone. There can always be variations such as those who do not like pasta on a pasta night get a crusty roll instead. It also means we spend more time doing what we are paid to do and interacting with the children and less time away from them in the kitchen. :)

mushpea
18-04-2011, 05:08 PM
when I did meals they all got the same,, if there was a particular dislike then I avoided that item but generally they all ate what they got,, in my house you either eat whats put infront of you or you go hungry and thas all children including mine,,like I said I dont put food in front of them Iknow they really dislike and I got the parents write down what their children wouldnt eat to beging with

Alibali
18-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't be making 3 different meals either, i know the children well enough to know who likes what and plan meals accordingly, i may be lucky but have never had a fussy eater, all the children I have ever minded eat most things I offer them:D

loocyloo
18-04-2011, 05:56 PM
when I did meals they all got the same,, if there was a particular dislike then I avoided that item but generally they all ate what they got,, in my house you either eat whats put infront of you or you go hungry and thas all children including mine,,like I said I dont put food in front of them Iknow they really dislike and I got the parents write down what their children wouldnt eat to beging with

thats how i have always worked! and occaisonally still given a child who 'hated' an item, a meal they said they didn't like, ask them to try ... and then it becomes their favourite! i will offer an alternative to say mash, by keeping a couple of potatoes before mashing, or not roasting a couple of boiled potatoes! ( and sometimes - calling spaghetti noodles or noodles spaghetti does the trick too;) )

i agree with OIABM who said that some children don't have the range/variety/homecooked foods that other children have, and we can introduce them to a wider, sometimes healthier range of foods.

i used to have an afterschooler who came to me only eating bananas & biscuits ( & pizza ) as an afterschool snack - suggest anything else and she was in hysterics ... roll on 4 years and she was eating a wide variety of fruit & veg ( and happy to try any! ) a variety of breads/rolls/crackers, yogurts/smoothies, variety of cheeses, meats & fish and happily eat chilli, curry, chinese, haggis ( :D i had to email mum a photo of that one! ) mum couldn't believe it, and said that some foods she ate with me, she would NEVER have eaten at home!

VINASOL
18-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Before the chidren started, I got parents to write a list of 'like' foods and 'dislike' foods. This is where I get my ides from.

Two sisters do NOT eat the same food...every time I ask mum what foods she cooks she simpy says "oh anything" and yet puts down on the foods' list that A won't eat mash and B won't eat Roast/Baked for example. One will eat Tuna; one wont.

I'm finding it very frustrating because even when I think tht I've found something that they will eat, they won't...mum isn't much help really.

I try new foods....one of the girls will say that she LOVES kebabs...so I do a lovely chicken kebab with salad and everything and....yep, she says "it tastes funny" :panic:

The previous CM told me not to spend too much money on food as thy don't each too much; but it's not a case of being full but a case of not wanting to eat what I put on their plate EVEN though mum tells me that they like it (as it's on their like list).

Chimps Childminding
18-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I sympathise :( I don't cook meals for mindees, only one mindee has tea here and her parents supply it for me to warm, so don't have that problem with mindees!! BUT my own 4 are like that. I make a curry one won't eat mushrooms so either we all miss out or I have to pick the mushrooms out. One wont eat veg so if I make a stew it consists of meat and onions, I have to cook veg separately and add after I have dished his up! Same child won't eat baked beans, spaghetti etc. its a nightmare :eek:

onceinabluemoon
18-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I sympathise :( I don't cook meals for mindees, only one mindee has tea here and her parents supply it for me to warm, so don't have that problem with mindees!! BUT my own 4 are like that. I make a curry one won't eat mushrooms so either we all miss out or I have to pick the mushrooms out. One wont eat veg so if I make a stew it consists of meat and onions, I have to cook veg separately and add after I have dished his up! Same child won't eat baked beans, spaghetti etc. its a nightmare :eek:

Mine used to be like this too and then one day I realised I'd had enough and just told them to pick out the stuff they don't like themselves and leave it on their plate at the end.

Now I cook what I want to and they eat what of it they want to and the dog gets what's left on their plates (in his bowl) which is sometimes lots and sometimes not much. One of them is getting much better at eating veg now and I'm sure it's because I keep sticking it all on his plate.

~Chelle~
18-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Could I just suggest something?

How about making a grid list of foods (ie a table) and then instead of asking the kiddies what they like,ask the parents what they eat at home. Perhaps get them to circle anything their child loves, tick or leave unmarked anything they will eat and score out anything they really hate.

That way the kids cant pull a fast one and only 'like' their favourite foods ;)

.................................................. ...............................................

Gemma, I dont think any of us want to meet minimum standards, get paid and then go home (actually the 'go home' thing surprised me as we are home already...).

It's part of our job to ensure the children eat healthily and part of that is to encourage them to try new foods, perhaps to tempt them out of their comfort zone a little.

Imagine if you will a 6 year old who has parents who simply don't do cooking, everything she eats is either fried or out of a microwave. She comes to my house sees we have beef casserole and veggies for dinner and as a reflex action says "Ugh I don't like that, I want pie and chips". Should I give her the pie and chips or should I persuade her to eat the healthier option?

I'm not for one moment suggesting all of Madamtorres children come from backgrounds like that, but the chances are the ones who love pasta have that as their staple carb and the ones that love mash have that but not pasta.

By only cooking one meal we are actually doing the mindees a good service by getting them to eat outside of their comfort zone. There can always be variations such as those who do not like pasta on a pasta night get a crusty roll instead. It also means we spend more time doing what we are paid to do and interacting with the children and less time away from them in the kitchen. :)

Great advice :thumbsup:

The Juggler
19-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Mine used to be like this too and then one day I realised I'd had enough and just told them to pick out the stuff they don't like themselves and leave it on their plate at the end.

Now I cook what I want to and they eat what of it they want to and the dog gets what's left on their plates (in his bowl) which is sometimes lots and sometimes not much. One of them is getting much better at eating veg now and I'm sure it's because I keep sticking it all on his plate.

me too. I refuse to pick out or leave out anymore - they pick it out themselves - that's my two not the mindees. :)

Newbie1!
19-04-2011, 07:52 AM
It is difficult hon, at my worst times I have the same amount of lo's as you, all different ages and one of which is coeliac, which is really difficult to cater for as I have to ensure that he doesnt feel left out and gets fed other food so I have to find the coeliac version of whatever Im making.

A good solution Ive found, which is very similar to what most suggest, is do one meal but add alternatives, bread instead of potatoes, salad instead of veg etc.

All mine love pasta which is lucky but some want bread with it and some dont, those that dont have a little extra pasta at the end of the meal. It is possible but takes some maneovering!! You def dont want to have to cook all the different meals cos itd be impossible (well certainly would for me!) to give the mindees lots of attention and cook three different meals.

One mum told me her little one would not each mash for love nor money - I had actually forgotten :blush: and one day made him mash, veg and fish fingers and he wolfed it down!! She couldnt believe it! Sometimes I do think that the "like and dislike" things comes from lo's saying once they dont like something and then its never offered to them again (which is what happened in my los case with the mash!)

Lots of luck with it hon, im sure you will find a way that it will sort itself out to suit you but I def wouldnt be spending that much time cooking so many different meals xxx

nokidshere
19-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I cook and evening meal for up to 1o children some nights.

My menus are prepared using the childrens likes and dislikes (for instance I never use mushrooms because the majority dont like them) but ultimitely they dont get a choice. I cook one meal for everyone (including my own children) and they either have it or they dont. If they dont want it then they have their dinner at home. Parents are told the arrangments before they even sign the contracts.

Obviously I cook meals that are child friendly and they mostly like but I do not cater for individual tastes. I always encourage the children to try new foods but dont stress about it if they dont. I simply tell the parent that they didn't have much (or anything) to eat that day and will be hungry later.

95% of the time they all eat it anyway. Even children who start at mine fussy eat more as time goes on.

SammyM
19-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree with Cherie, theres NO WAY I'd cook three different meals, when the children start with me they get their own questionnaire about what they like to eat, do, play with etc - I double check with mom about food, but unless there is a definite, 'she won't eat ****' then its put on their plate.

I like to think they have enough variety on their plates that they will at least like one thing!!

I'm a childminder, not a cafe!!!

rickysmiths
19-04-2011, 11:09 AM
well because if we all worked in a soup kitchen then yeah it would make sense to take on this attitude however I just personally think child minding is not about meeting the minimum requirnment gets payed and go home... we are supposed to take care of these kids, and I think it's okay if you have 3 or 4 different kids with different tastes, we should try work together and come up with something... it does not have to mean sitting in the kitchen all day!

My goodness, I feed 6 mindees and 4 of us on a Thursday. I could not and would not offer all the mindees different options, any more than I have ever pandered to my own family in that way.

Don't get me wrong, I ask parents and children preferences when they start with me and I contsanty ask them, I cook with the minees as well so they get envolved in what they are eating. We also grow things, potatoes,carrots,beans, toms, lettuce etc I would never serve them something I know they would eat. BUT I never serve several different choices at one meal. Even if I had a child with allergies we would all eat the same.

Maybe its something to do with expectation? We always all sit down together for meals, they are a social, enjoyable part of the minding day, the meal is served to everyone and we eat together. Perhaps seeing adults and my teenagers enjoying the experience helps my mindees I have never had a problem even with children whos parents consider they are difficult fussy eaters.

Gemma I'm gald you have time to offer seperate meals, good luck to you. It would drive me insane!

nicoleon
19-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Thankfully I only have to do dinners rarely but if I do, I offer one meal (usually from the slow cooker so I can prepare it in the morning and don't have to worry about it in the busy afternoon / evening time) and everybody eats it. I had mums supplying food with instructions that one likes this and one that and to pick out this for that one and that one only likes peas next to pasta not on top - you get the idea. That's what goes on at home but here they just eat whatever is on the table! Slow cooker meals are great as well because often the veg aren't recognisable :thumbsup: