PDA

View Full Version : Giving out policies vs. showing policies

hollyberry
14-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Is it required to GIVE a copy of every policy to parents or is it sufficient/acceptable to HAVE THEM READ THEM only? In each case they would sign to say they had read and understood them all - but my question is, must they actually be GIVEN the policy to take away? What do Ofsted say about this?? :)

diamond
14-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi

I have always asked parents to sign to say they have read and understood the policies. I have never given them out. Ofsted have always been happy with this.:)

Spangles
14-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I used to give parents copies of mine and then asked them to return a signed sheet to say they'd read, understood and agreed with them.

I had so many policies etc. I didn't think they would read them properly at my house, I know that I wouldn't if it was me! I would feel pressured to rush and skip bits, etc! Ha! Plus, I thought they would have them on hand if they ever wanted to find something out.

I don't think it matters which way you do it? I think it's up to you, whatever you think is best.

hollyberry
14-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh that's fab! I just see all my policies some of which take up two sheets and thought gawd, if I've got say 4 or 5 under 5s and a few after schools my poor old printer will be churning stuff out 24/7!!!!

I think I'm going to be very sure to say to people who are signing up that they need to leave time to read the policies when they do come to register, and also I could email them to the parent as well so that they can review them at any time - anything which saves the old printer and toner!!!!

candy cat
14-04-2011, 01:17 PM
you could send them on a disc or email over that way saves on good old ink.....i do parent packs,but only when deposit is paid!:)

swindonminder
14-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I email all my policies and procedures. I ask parents to sign a sheet with all listed p&p's to say they have read and understood them.

rickysmiths
14-04-2011, 04:27 PM
As I expect all my parents to sign to say they have read and accept my Policies I feel it is polite to give them a paper copy to refer to.

I put it in the folder I give them with their copy of the contract and copy of the childs info form.:thumbsup: Perhaps I'm just a bit old fashioned! Also all my Policies, permissions and Complaints Procedure are in a 7 page document so its not too bad.:thumbsup:

acorns
14-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I have loads of policies to cover just about everything and parents are free to read them at any time. However the statutory ones I put on a disc for new parents and get a form listed with the policies on the disc signed as they have read and understood them.

wellybelly
14-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I've given all my parents a copy of my policies and risk assessments on a Rewritable CD Rom. I ask for it back annually to add any updates or amendments.