PDA

View Full Version : Fee Increases

BuggsieMoo
14-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi all
I have not increased my fee's in 3 years of minding but now that cost of living has increased feel that I have to. I was thinking 15p an hour (I cook dinners and this is included in the rate they pay - the only additional cost parents have is a contribution towards a day out at a rate they can afford). Do you think that this amount is acceptable and if so, I was thinking from the 1st June - to give them notice.
Any ideas how to word this?
Thanks
Lisa x

breezy
16-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Definitly sounds like you're due an increase after 3 years! How does it fit in with what others in your area charge? 15p doesnt sound much though!

miffy
16-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I've just increased my fees, like you I hadn't put them up for 3 years - I increased them by 50p an hour - I don't think 15p is enough but it depends where you are and what others are charging in your area.

Miffy xx

BuggsieMoo
17-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi
Fee's in my area range between 3:50 and 5:50 an hour ( and Im around the middle of this - £4). 2 parents pay slightly more but this is cos one is odd hours so it means I cant fill other side of their hours and the other is term time only so makes a bit extra for holiday periods - but this is only an additional 50p an hour. I provide all meals and snacks - parents just provide baby formula, spare clothes and a contribution towards days out - not toddler groups etc but proper days out such as a theme park.
What would you increase by as I don't want to seem to be charging OTT but feel that I provide so much, change hours at the drop of a hat for them and also ensure that their kids have a home cooked meal each night (I prep it all from scratch as this is how I feed my own kids) and the cost of living has increased, then I really need to increase my fee's slightly.
Thanks
Lisa xx

Chell
19-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking of increasing the fees for two children. When I first started I charged £3.75 which includes meals. I then found that many minders in the area charged £4 and didn't include meals. The first two children I took on were at 3.75, the children that started later were £4.

I'm now thinking that I will increase the fees for those on £3.75. The Mum of one of these children knows that she has a cheaper rate. I said I took the child on at that rate and wouldn't increase the fees. Petrol and food has now gone up so much that I feel I need to increase them. I don't charge for days out and have found that entry prices for places have increased a lot too.

MaryMary
19-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Do you only charge in 1 hour increments? If you had a contract from 8am to 5.15pm would you charge for 9hrs, 9.25 hrs or 9.5 hrs? The reason I ask is, if you charge for 9.25 hrs, increasing your fees by 20p may be easier (to work out :) ) or anything divisable by 4 :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
20-04-2011, 06:00 AM
I think I'm right in saying you have to give the same amount (in time) of notice to increase your fees as your notice period unless your contract says something different of course.

15p doesn't sound like much of an increase but if you are happy with that then go for it. I last increased my fees a couple of years ago and put them up 50p an hour. Sometimes I think it would be better 20p a year or something though...

BuggsieMoo
20-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice all. My notice is 4 weeks in writing, so I was thinking from 1st June which is just over 4 weeks so no one can say I didn't give the appropriate notice.

Think I will do it as a figure that is / by 4 as suggested as it makes sense to make it easier to work out.

Now all I need to do is think of how to word it so it doesnt sound awful and more professional.

Thanks again

Lisa x

nicoleon
20-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm also thinking of increasing by 20p soon. Everybody knows that petrol and living costs have gone up massively, i don't think it's out of order to raise fees slightly but like you i am not looking forward to telling everybody :rolleyes: