PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox advice

Bendy
14-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi

Mindee has just gone down with Chicken pox first spots started last night and I have notified other parents.

Do I need to do anything else?

We have all had it in my household so no risk of infection here.

I assume I don't need to close. Obviously sick children will remain at home with parents but for those that have not yet shown any signs are they contagious now or only when spots appear.

Thank you for any advice :)

snufflepuff
14-04-2011, 08:29 AM
They will be most contagious before the spots appear. Children who have been in contact with the child who now has chicken pox would have been exposed to it, so may well deveop spots at some point. But they also might not, so you can't ask them to stay away 'just incase' if you see what I mean. You wouldn't be ale to exclude until the spot appear.

MaryMary
14-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Chicken pox can be harmful to an unborn child if the mum gets it in late pregnancy, so if you know any heavily pregnant mums that you may have been in contact with over the last couple of weeks, you may want to let them know.

Otherwise, it's just a waiting game to see if anyone else comes down with it :(
I hope your LO is feeling better soon.

candy cat
14-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I made a descision to close as half wanted it and half didn't,so I have a duty to protect all the children in my care so I tell them to stay away.

kats
14-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Also in my experience parents dont seem to realise that the child is infectious until every last spot has crusted over, i have had children come back to me before this has happened and i have had to send them home!! :)

cas2805
14-04-2011, 12:52 PM
"We have all had it in my household so no risk of infection here. "

Just to warn you that I have had chicken pox three times and a friend has had it four times. It depends on how bad you had it!

aunt sally
14-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Both m.y son and daughter have had chicken pox twice.

miffy
14-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The children you look after have already been exposed to the infection so it's a matter of wait and see now - but there's a chance that no-one may come down with it.

As for your own family, you can definitely get chicken pox more than once so keep an eye on them too.

Miffy xx

leo3
14-04-2011, 05:55 PM
all 3 lo's came down with chicken pox on the same day, but one of them only had a few spots but got it again 6 month later. i still had them as all my own have had it so wasent a problem for me.